I am new to register but I am a regular browser. I have to ask the big question though

What are we the industry doing to protect Manuka here and internationally?

The protection of Manuka as a New Zealand brand is being left in the hands of the Government MPI or the API Association or the Manuka Honey Appellation Society (MHAS) 

The MPI introduced new standards as of the 5th of Jan 2018 however these only apply to packed honey Manuka for export. They do not apply to bulk export Manuka and bizarrely do not apply to the New Zealand domestic market. 

What does it say of our own expectations, when we are happy to ship bulk to overseas packers who work to lesser standards and regulation and then compete against our own brands produced in New Zealand. Overseas packers can use wording on labels that are prohibited in NZ - Healthy, Active, anti-bacterial etc. also they seem to use made up grading systems rather than UMF or MGO. 

I was sent an article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nz-manuka-what-happening-adam-boot/ it has some good points. More importantly it means I am not the only one worried about my industry and how I make a living. I am worried that if we don't do something united the bible will burst or just be taken away from us. 

It will be  years before the MHAS make any headway protecting Manuka if ever. In the meantime our own lack of action and solidarity gives Australian jelly bush and overseas packers a helping hand. 

Does it not seem odd that New Zealand, the home of Manuka now has two quality standards for Manuka? One for export and a lower one for our own consumers. 

This just gives off the wrong message. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Without thinking about and just opening my mouth for stuff to come out I’m more concerned about nz having to jump through hoops to label honey as Manuka whereas Australia can chuck anything in a jar and call it Manuka. 

We have many constraints and while we sit back trying to follow the rules Australia is flooding the market with cheap Manuka labelled jellybush honey. 

• Like 1

I think one simple step would be  to ban all bulk export of manuka honey. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Without thinking about and just opening my mouth for stuff to come out I’m more concerned about nz having to jump through hoops to label honey as Manuka whereas Australia can chuck anything in a jar and call it Manuka. 

We have many constraints and while we sit back trying to follow the rules Australia is flooding the market with cheap Manuka labelled jellybush honey. 

I agree and I believe some of the definition markets that we think are ridiculous are there to exclude Aussie honey.  

17 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I think one simple step would be  to ban all bulk export of manuka honey. 

That wont make much difference.

if packers offshore are incorrectly labelling bulk Manuka honey then they will also be incorrectly labelling non Manuka as Manuka.

When I heard about the manuka name being used elsewhere in the world I got hold of my mate (a kamatua) who sits on the moari council.I told him to get the manuka name registered  as this is a moari name.What did they do nothing so we have ourselves to blame.

21 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I agree and I believe some of the definition markets that we think are ridiculous are there to exclude Aussie honey.  

But Australia don’t adhere to any of NZ’s Manuka markers  so it doesn’t matter if they exclude Aussie honey.

i think it’s very important to remember that Convita are in a JV with Capalano the only reason they would do that is to sell the Aussie jellybush as Manuka. 

They are flooding the market with cheap jellybush honey and really hurting NZ Manuka honey. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

21 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

But Australia don’t adhere to any of NZ’s Manuka markets so it doesn’t matter if they exclude Aussie honey.

i think it’s very important to remember that Convita are in a JV with Capalano the only reason they would do that is to sell the Aussie jellybush as Manuka. 

They are flooding the market with cheap jellybush honey and really hurting NZ Manuka honey. 

Capalano is very keen to tell anyone who will listen that they have 80+ genus’s of leptospermum whereas NZ only has one and their “Manuka” honey is better than ours.

they ignore the fact that Manuka is one genus leptospermum scorporium not all leptospermums 

I learned yesterday from the Chinese Marketing people that China not only values Manuka Honey but also New Zealand Honey and  New Zealand products
New Zealand products  are recognized in the Chinese Markets as top quality.
So Manuka as a product  is a subset of New Zealand  products and if Manuka Fraud is to be perpetuated in China it is likely a double fraud, one of product and one of product origin.

They asked me on camera which other countries have Manuka bush.

Of course I answered that question accurately and concisely. 

• Like 3

Banning the export of bulk has to be a good option. people overseas may still cheat but if the message gets out that the genuine article has to have been packed in NZ then this will be a start. 

We must only ever refer to the Aussie nock off as Jelly Bush. To call it Manuka with out saying Jelly bush at the same time only gives it credibility. 

As for Comvita - Shame on them. Only idiots would think it a good idea to #### on their own market

• Like 2

Nice one @Philbee.

if everyone googled capalano manuka honey and had a look at what was being sold, what the labels said and what the “story” around it said I think everyone would be pretty angry .

especially when it’s a supposedly NZ company (Convita) driving the whole thing.

anyway I’ve probably gone off topic so will shut up for now ...promise :) 

I have just had a look at Capalano (Comvita) 

You are right - Very angry. Seriously though, the public should know about this. Selling out their own country with knock off product. They are publicly listed so won't care until their share price is effected. 

I just read it... wow, what a load of crap !!! Yes, it has made me really angry. 

More people need to read that Capalano (com vita) crap are start to realise what is going on. The market will me stolen from under us while we sleep. 

I have trouble with all this. Leptospermum Scoparium in NZ is Manuka.  If in my Oz travels I see any I'm going to think oh look there's some Manuka. Jelly Bush is not L. Scoparium, it is L.Polygalifolium, quite different.  I don't have a lot of skin in the game, but I do have some, and I really think NZ may as well pee into the wind as try and outmuscle Oz over the Manuka name issue, they're simply too well organised, & too strong. NZ beeks would be much better emphasizing the purity quality sustainability, social equity etc of our Manuka and in the meantime coattail on the Oz marketing. They're not coattailing on ours anymore, they're miles ahead.

Kiwis are their own worst enemies whenever joint cohesive action is required.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

This thread got me thinking and checking trademe for honey sales. There is a huge amount of 'manuka' honey listed that is mg83 and as low as mg50. Some honeys listed aren't even labeled. !!! If we want to protect our industry and keep the value in our honeys I feel the practice of selling cheap dodgy manuka should be stopped here first. 

Australian Manuka vs. NZ Manuka

Rugby, pavlova, Russell Crowe… we Aussies love to get competitive with our neighbours across the ditch. But the rivalry we care most about at Capilano is: who produces the best Manuka Honey?

Well, for starters, Australia has 83 species of Leptospermum. New Zealand only has one. Meaning we can produce Manuka honey with the same or, in some cases, more activity than Manuka from New Zealand. Recent research out of the University of Technology, Sydney backs this up.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

This is the kind of stuff trotted out over and over again.

they lump all their leptospermum species under the Manuka label 

historcally they never produced Manuka honey it was called jellybush

Now that Manuka has had a lot of research and dollars spent in it they are quite happy to take the name Manuka and say it’s their own .

”manuka” in squeeze bottles selling for $9 in Coles is bringing it down to commodity level and doing no one any favours .

what is Comvita reason for being involved in this ? 

Maybe they saw the Manuka standard coming ?

• Sad 1

Found one on trademe mg25.!!! Misleading labeling, calling it active manuka honey. 

5 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Now that Manuka has had a lot of research and dollars spent in it they are quite happy to take the name Manuka and say it’s their own .

”manuka” in squeeze bottles selling for $9 in Coles is bringing it down to commodity level and doing no one any favours .

Ok, so what are you personally intending to do about it ?

48 minutes ago, yesbut said:

purity quality sustainability, social equity etc of our Manuka

Exactly Pink Cat

The consumer wants to buy not only into the product but also into the story.
Aussi is a great place but it has a very average story IMO

This brings me to another issue I stumbled across with the Chinese yesterday

They wanted me to describe how the native Aboriginals processed the Bee venom in their traditional culture.
I had to explain that although Maori are well involved with Bees these days they didnt have a cultural attachment with bees as they were brought here by the white man
They accepted that and we moved on.

However this and a few other tit bits added together, demonstrated to me that the Chinese place significant importance   on

"The Story"

We need to create and cultivate the Story

Had I  been expecting the question no doubt I could have created a story but just my luck it could have ended up with a war party on my doorstep upset that my story wasn't as good as their story so in this regard we all need to get our stories right?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I tried that honey.

Tastes like gum to me .

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Capalano sell MG 30 in Australia which is around 2.7 NPA 

Comvita sell UMF 2.5 in China. It all drags the market down. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Ok, so what are you personally intending to do about it ?

Nothing I can do but I won’t ever buy Comvita products or shares :) 

• Like 2