Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dansar

Archive A Bee Garden - photo edition -

I can never, never, show you all my shameful yard. :sick:

[quote name='Janice']I can never, never, show you all my shameful yard. :sick:[/quote] Its all how you look at it: - long edges = no-spray to improve the environment. - weeds in lawn = avoiding mono-culture to improve the environment. - weeds in garden = attracting beneficial insects to improve the environment. so maybe that will make you not feel quite so bad :) - lifes too short to spend it all weeding.

Diesel & old engine oil keeps grass down in front of hives too

[quote name='yesbut']Diesel & old engine oil keeps grass down in front of hives too[/quote] I am sure putting hydrocarbons onto the soil in front of bee hives is nice and enviromentally friendly for all soil and insect life.:(

[quote name='yesbut']Diesel & old engine oil keeps grass down in front of hives too[/quote] what,are you insane.just cut the grass.if you spend time with your bees it cant be hard to have a bit of a clip around in between slerping coffee

In earthquake damaged Bromley in Christchurch all my trees have died so they are coming out, having had sewerage over the entire property the the grass grows very well but vege gardens all got liquifacted. The clover grows knee deep in about 2 weeks and is as thick as any politician in Wellington.

Wow, that's really thick!

I wonder if diesel & old engine oil would work on them too ?

Would probably have to set it on fire to get any amusing effect, Please feel free to try it and don't forget to post photos

[quote="colin lister, post: 21034, member: 550"]Can you or anyone tell me why the bees dont go to the manuka right beside the hive,or any other flowers in my garden.[/quote] Weird how that works isn't it! I notice that too, perhaps they just do them when we're not looking. Though I'm pretty sure it needs to be quite a hot day for the bees to work Manuka, its almost as if the nectar has to melt a bit. When I first put that hive there the first thing they were on was the thyme flowers, so I was pretty stoked with that. I have two in there now, the other is between the other small garden and the bigger one... Which is a bit intense because my section is something like 424m so very small... Seems to be fine so far though, but I don't intend to tell the neighbours they're there.

Hi Daniel - the wee swarm is doing well on the long hive- they are drawing comb there is a wee bit of honey capped and qweenie is laying lots of eggs. I think they are happy in their accomodation :)

[quote name='Daley']Weird how that works isn't it! I notice that too, perhaps they just do them when we're not looking. Though I'm pretty sure it needs to be quite a hot day for the bees to work Manuka, its almost as if the nectar has to melt a bit. When I first put that hive there the first thing they were on was the thyme flowers, so I was pretty stoked with that. I have two in there now, the other is between the other small garden and the bigger one... Which is a bit intense because my section is something like 424m so very small... Seems to be fine so far though, but I don't intend to tell the neighbours they're there.[/quote] yep my neighbours seem to be ok with the bees,but when there is a mass hatching and bees everywere on there checking it out flight im like hay bees go get some honey or get back in the hive.

[quote="kevin moore, post: 21625, member: 268"]a little shed for the back lawn][/QUOTE] Can you send another one this way... could live down in the garden with the bees. Love it Kevin

[quote="kevin moore, post: 21625, member: 268"]a little shed for the back lawn[ATTACH=full]2448[/ATTACH][/quote] Funny, I put that on my pintrest a few weeks ago, love it!

[quote="kevin moore, post: 21625, member: 268"]a little shed for the back lawn[ATTACH=full]2448[/ATTACH][/quote] the ultimate 'bee house"?

[quote="kevin moore, post: 21625, member: 268"]a little shed for the back lawn[ATTACH=full]2448[/ATTACH][/quote] I could totally live in there... the housework would be bliss :D

nah that'd do me, with a bbq area, a firebath and a loo :lol I'd be sorted as

and I would want this too :D

I have a large dog kennel going unused.... Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='Aquila']I have a large dog kennel going unused.... Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] Does it smell or have fleas? :D I have a large dog kennel too, you couldn't pay me to live in it

[quote="kevin moore, post: 21699, member: 268"]and one of these[ATTACH=full]2457[/ATTACH][/quote] I usually use a kids blow up paddling pool for parties, fill it up with ice and beer, its awesome