A Bee Garden - photo edition -

dansar

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Janice']I can never, never, show you all my shameful yard. :sick:[/quote] Its all how you look at it: - long edges = no-spray to improve the environment. - weeds in lawn = avoiding mono-culture to improve the environment. - weeds in garden = attracting beneficial insects to improve the environment. so maybe that will make you not feel quite so bad :) - lifes too short to spend it all weeding.

In earthquake damaged Bromley in Christchurch all my trees have died so they are coming out, having had sewerage over the entire property the the grass grows very well but vege gardens all got liquifacted. The clover grows knee deep in about 2 weeks and is as thick as any politician in Wellington.

[quote="colin lister, post: 21034, member: 550"]Can you or anyone tell me why the bees dont go to the manuka right beside the hive,or any other flowers in my garden.[/quote] Weird how that works isn't it! I notice that too, perhaps they just do them when we're not looking. Though I'm pretty sure it needs to be quite a hot day for the bees to work Manuka, its almost as if the nectar has to melt a bit. When I first put that hive there the first thing they were on was the thyme flowers, so I was pretty stoked with that. I have two in there now, the other is between the other small garden and the bigger one... Which is a bit intense because my section is something like 424m so very small... Seems to be fine so far though, but I don't intend to tell the neighbours they're there.

[quote name='Daley']Weird how that works isn't it! I notice that too, perhaps they just do them when we're not looking. Though I'm pretty sure it needs to be quite a hot day for the bees to work Manuka, its almost as if the nectar has to melt a bit. When I first put that hive there the first thing they were on was the thyme flowers, so I was pretty stoked with that. I have two in there now, the other is between the other small garden and the bigger one... Which is a bit intense because my section is something like 424m so very small... Seems to be fine so far though, but I don't intend to tell the neighbours they're there.[/quote] yep my neighbours seem to be ok with the bees,but when there is a mass hatching and bees everywere on there checking it out flight im like hay bees go get some honey or get back in the hive.

Archived