Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dansar

Archive A Bee Garden - photo edition -

[quote name='Daley'][ATTACH=full]2285[/ATTACH] Spot the beehive :D[ATTACH=full]2286[/ATTACH] now all I need is more time to keep the garden tidy :lol its always a continual work in progress, at least its planted out now...[/quote] Is there a chance of the hive blowing over in that corner? - I ask because I see alot of single story hives with bricks etc on the roof and wonder how that keeps them safe.

It's like having a tile roof, noise of rain doesn't keep the bees awake at night

[quote name='dansar']Is there a chance of the hive blowing over in that corner? - I ask because I see alot of single story hives with bricks etc on the roof and wonder how that keeps them safe.[/quote] Nah it couldn't blow over :D even without the bricks it never would blow over, the bricks just stop the tin lid blowing off

those metal lids are crap for staying on without straps/weights. had a few on friday. all the wooden lids stayed on but the cheap metal lids had blown off.

[quote name='tristan']those metal lids are crap for staying on without straps/weights. had a few on friday. all the wooden lids stayed on but the cheap metal lids had blown off.[/quote] the thing I like about them though is that they weigh practically nothing :D I don't like the idea of adding non-essential weight to a hive if you lift everything by hand like I do.

Ok show and tell time. The garden is way behind on last year, which was behind on the year before.... seeds are starting to germinate quickly with the warmer weather the last week or so. Just photos of lots of dirt for the "before" shots. [attachment=2788:name] This is the back of the section looking from the lawn off the back porch, driveway sweeps into the garage/workshop/woodshed, the veggie garden is spread out on an area of about 40x15 meters. We have a 1000m2 section. [attachment=2789:name] Boysenberries in the foreground, raised bed behind them has wildflowers sown in it, all germinated and growing fast now, the raised bed behind that by the driveway has cabbages and cucumber and a pumpkin that will be trained along the fence. [attachment=2792:name] Grape vines on the side of the woodshed..well its a shed I store firewood in, the tiled roof part is my "man shed".:D [attachment=2790:name] Strawberries growing fast now and a couple almost ready to pick -- the kids picked them this afternoon:mad: [attachment=2791:name] Looking down the length of the veggie garden. The concrete blocks used for edging are foundation piles from an old hall we had onsite that was burnt down as part of fire brigade training. I asked the contractor to keep them aside when clearing the site of the rubbish after the control burn. they were a great score:D [attachment=2793:name] Espaliar apple trees -Montys' supprise and Tropicanna. I have sown wild flower seed under the trees as well. [attachment=2796:name] At the back of the sheds looking back along the length of the garden. Around where the lemon, tangelo and plum trees are I have sown wildflower seeds. It will look amazing by January I am hoping. [attachment=2794:name] Lost all my tomatoes to blight last year, planted in different bed and hoping for a better season. [attachment=2797:name] I have reappropriated an unsafe trestle that came with the house when we bought it 3 years ago to use as a frame for runner beans.[attachment=2795:name] My two hives

I'll bet that keeps you very busy :D

nah, no more time than if I were at the pub drinking beer after work...

[quote name='dansar']nah, no more time than if I were at the pub drinking beer after work...[/quote]And it's better for the wallet (and the head).

ok, I will be brave. My garden is not so extensive as that of the gentleman from Putaruru, but here's some pics anyway. Here you can see my hive on the roof of the shed in the background. In the foreground are citrus, feijoas, and a mix of herbs and flowers. The bees flight path is pretty much directly towards the camera. The fruit trees are being standardised to make them unclimbable by small children. [attachment=2823:name] This is the view past the feijoa tree towards the chooks and raised vege gardens. I have plums (Omega & Black Dorris) and Apples (Granny Smith & Golden Delicious) espallaired behind the veges, and a huge clump of rosemary too. [attachment=2822:name] so I haven't really taken many photos of the vege garden - but the bees have found it ok (clockwise from top left thyme, globe artichoke, pak choi gone to seed - when the bees are done with it the chooks will get the rest ;) ): [attachment=2824:name]

very nice Erin - can I have your fences - my are stuffed.:D

[quote name='dansar']very nice Erin - can I have your fences - my are stuffed.:D[/quote] lol! The black metal (pool) fence only went in last summer - the old wooden fence that bisected my garden was recycled into raised bed vege gardens at my brothers place in Te Aroha. So while your request may not be as silly as it sounds at first, its somewhat too late. :rofl:

Very nice, Erin.

[quote name='Daley']The only flowers in my garden are companions for my veges, alyssum and marigolds, but I have thyme, rosemary, borage and lavender for the bees.. and I have a GIANT swan ('tree') plant coz I love monarch butterfly's.. I also have a couple of leptospernums and my neighbours have a big pohutukawa tree. I think that last year I had the best tomato crop ever with no sprays thanks to my flowers and the bees. I'm trying to be a bit of a hippy with my beneficial creepy crawlies... :D[/quote] Can you or anyone tell me why the bees dont go to the manuka right beside the hive,or any other flowers in my garden.

[quote="colin lister, post: 21034, member: 550"]Can you or anyone tell me why the bees dont go to the manuka right beside the hive,or any other flowers in my garden.[/quote] Better pickings elsewhere. Bees tend to move away from the hive for foraging. you will probably have a few working them close to the hive but the majority head out of town for their shopping:D

So even the bees think the grass is greener (or the nectar sweeter) on the other side of the fence

The long hive is in the background - my gardens have been hammered by the winds this Spring but things are just starting to flower now [attachment=2866:name]

The little hive in amongst the flowers - both my hives are in the front garden because my wee Foxy is allergic to bees so the dogs and chickens are out the back and the bees out the front and there is fruit, vege and flowers all over the place - bit of a urban jungle :)[attachment=2868:name]

You havent shown the rest of your corner of paradise CR:p I have a few more years of developing to get even a fraction closer to your awesome garden. How are bees going in the long hive?