Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dansar

Archive A Bee Garden - photo edition -

I splashed out on $50 of Bee friendly Wild Flower mix tonight. It will be interesting to see how much other wild life it attracts to my 1/4 acre of NZ. Do you guys have any pics of your bee gardens with a hive or two in the shot? I will start by adding mine from February this year and will add pics from this summer as I get them. [attachment=2091:name]

Nobody else will post after that. We will all have inferiority complexes.

This is my hives last August. I had two then but they've multiplied to seven now. Not so much a bee garden as a bee paddock . . . [attachment=2092:name]

Nice - Thanks Janice. My garden aint much to show right now. Some rhubarb and sad looking leeks and spring onions going to seed is all there is to show. I am chomping at the bit to get out and work the ground for spring planting - (the weeds are getting ahead of me) but it has been so friggin wet up here this month I dont really want to turn the slop over. I didnt plant garlic this year as I had a bad run with the wet last year and it looks like it will continue through this spring. I will save that bed for something else. Tomato - all 20 plants - heirloom - fell prey to blight just as the first truss of fruit was ripening. Crap season for the veggie garden last year, so hoping for a better one this year. [attachment=2093:name] Monties Supprise - hoping for apples to eat this year [attachment=2095:name] wild flowers going in where the spuds are (foreground) [attachment=2094:name] Wild flowers will be going in down at the far end of the garden Oh and somewhere in there another beehive (or more if I can hide them from the wife and neighbors;))

I purchased the flower seeds from here - [url="http://www.gardenpost.co.nz/wildflower-world/"]Wildflower seeds and garden flower seeds from Wildflower World[/url] [B][COLOR=#000000]Wildflower[/COLOR][/B] seed mixtures, [B][COLOR=#000000]wildflowers[/COLOR][/B] seeds, garden flowers, [B][COLOR=#000000]NZ[/COLOR][/B], poppies, cornflowers, sweet pea seeds, bee friendly,

Nice pics.....good-looking garden. Kings Seeds also do a good meadow-flower mixture.

[quote name='Janice']Nobody else will post after that. We will all have inferiority complexes.[/quote] Isn't that the truth :D Sent from my phone using tapatalk

Someone call Linda Hallinan!! (might do that if I can sort my garden and hives out for photo opportunity):):what:

[quote name='dansar']Someone call Linda Hallinan!! (might do that if I can sort my garden and hives out for photo opportunity):):what:[/quote] Whooooo? Sent from my phone using tapatalk

New Zealand Gardener - editor at large

Know a guy that has some bees here... Inferiority over ruled. Perhaps people should try to get their hives into really beautiful shots? Will the honey taste better?

Oh how I wish I have gardens like these. I'm envious. And I really want to be a beekeeper NOW. :)

[quote name='ehoneybees']Oh how I wish I have gardens like these. I'm envious. And I really want to be a beekeeper NOW. :)[/quote] As you say on your own website "However, the information must be filtered so as to choose only the one that is given by experts in the domain." We are a New Zealand based website, offering NZ based advice and support. Posting on here purely to promote your own site is considered bad manners and because it does not relate specifically to NZ Beekeeping it has been removed. Should you wish to directly add content to this site that would be of benefit to our community, then you are welcome to do so.

[quote name='ehoneybees']Oh how I wish I have gardens like these. I'm envious. And I really want to be a beekeeper NOW. :)[/quote] well you are nearly there you have one sunflower, and yes do try and get yourself a hive they are worth the time spent on them, i never get tied watching a hive and always so blown away when i open a hive full of bees

I have the wild flower seeds in now and germination has started. I will take a "before photo" this week and hopefully by the end of January an "after photo" of lots of flowers and bees all over them.

The only flowers in my garden are companions for my veges, alyssum and marigolds, but I have thyme, rosemary, borage and lavender for the bees.. and I have a GIANT swan ('tree') plant coz I love monarch butterfly's.. I also have a couple of leptospernums and my neighbours have a big pohutukawa tree. I think that last year I had the best tomato crop ever with no sprays thanks to my flowers and the bees. I'm trying to be a bit of a hippy with my beneficial creepy crawlies... :D

[quote name='Daley']The only flowers in my garden are companions for my veges, alyssum and marigolds, but I have thyme, rosemary, borage and lavender for the bees.. and I have a GIANT swan ('tree') plant coz I love monarch butterfly's.. I also have a couple of leptospernums and my neighbours have a big pohutukawa tree. I think that last year I had the best tomato crop ever with no sprays thanks to my flowers and the bees. I'm trying to be a bit of a hippy with my beneficial creepy crawlies... :D[/quote] Nothing hippy about that. Its called "doing the right thing":)

[quote name='Daley']The only flowers in my garden are companions for my veges, alyssum and marigolds, but I have thyme, rosemary, borage and lavender for the bees.. and I have a GIANT swan ('tree') plant coz I love monarch butterfly's.. I also have a couple of leptospernums and my neighbours have a big pohutukawa tree. I think that last year I had the best tomato crop ever with no sprays thanks to my flowers and the bees. I'm trying to be a bit of a hippy with my beneficial creepy crawlies... :D[/quote] Awesome Stuff Daley, now if you can just be tempted to stop putting the plastic crap in your hives you'll be well on the way to saving the world ;)

Yeah but I think that particular plastic crap isn't so bad :) frames and strips.. The frames last a very long time, and the strips are sort of necessary

[quote="Chris Valentine, post: 20056, member: 53"]They last a very long time if you wash and reuse them[/quote] :rofl:

[quote name='Daley']Yeah but I think that particular plastic crap isn't so bad :) frames and strips.. The frames last a very long time, and the strips are sort of necessary[/quote] Lol, I'll concede on the strips, a very necessary evil but them plastic frames are the devils work ;)

[quote name='johnhi30']Lol, I'll concede on the strips, a very necessary evil but them plastic frames are the devils work ;)[/quote] I dunno haha I don't think I'd ever be convinced of that, that's how I feel about wooden frames.. they tend to make me somewhat irate :mad: burn them all hehe :lol

some thing for the garden[IMG]http://www.nzbees.net/forum/523514_41757355830...jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.nzbees.net/forum/549173_10150745818....jpg[/IMG] woops have to work on this

[attachment=2777:name] Spot the beehive :D[attachment=2778:name] now all I need is more time to keep the garden tidy :lol its always a continual work in progress, at least its planted out now...