Apiculture knowledge....

Hey all..

I'm gonna post questions regarding the above topic to help get opinions hopefully the right answers to my questions...

To start off. What is the approximate age of the worker bee when she starts the task of fanning? Now fanning is used to distribute pheromones and to evaporate water. But is the task of fanning done by guard bees which are 2 to 3 weeks old? And do the perform the other task of scenting at the same age?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... Explain the difference between physiological age and the chronological age of the honey bee in relation to the division of labour within the hive.

I could explain it this way... A young bee lets say 12 days old when her hypopharngeal glands have developed, will start to produce brood food, ''nursing bee.'' When she ages chronologically the physiological change of the hypopharngeal glands start to reduce in size therefore her task within the colony will change from producing brood food to inverting the nector collected by foragers. An interesting point in relation to the chronological age of the honey bee is that the older bee lets say a forager can change physiologically if the right conditions within the hive dictate.

Your explaining to the above question will be good if you feel my answer does not explain properly.

Cheers..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The adult workers bees division of labour depends upon their age and the physiological maturity of internal organs. This means that once they reach a certain age and development they are pre determined as to what activities they are required to carry out. However they also have the ability to either prolong a particular stage of work, e.g. feeding larvae or they can jump ahead of what would be expected e.g. foraging. This all depends upon the current state of the hive

• Like 1