Jake Schultz

What is your greatest struggle in NZ beekeeping?

57 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Up at 600m where I am the issue is that not every winter is a Brood breaker and the genetic variations between Hives adds to the overall challenges of managing Varroa by way of Brood Break.

I do not think I could  easily replicate this years circumstances for me .

I will see how the daughter of the queen that stopped laying through may to July preforms .

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

even the Hive with the Bullet hole through it is doing fine

what's the exit wound like?

39 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

what's the exit wound like?

Its ok, it went across the corner but through a frame

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Janice said:

As a hobbyist, not being legally allowed to sell small quantities of honey unless you have jumped through many many hoops, some of which may be  invisible and some which change depending where you live. How I would love to have a simple standard checklist for home producers extracting and selling honey at the farm gate.

As I enter my 2nd spring of beekeeping with 3 hives in the backyard it may be that I end the season with honey in excess of my family's appetite (although unlikely!). In any event my initial attempts to find a succinct description of the legal requirements to sell small quantities - @Janice's "many hoops" have been frustrating. Is there a location/site where this is specifically covered??

Greatest struggle for me is preserving boxes/frames. I've built a thing that lets me store outdoor, sealed enough that bees can't get in but with mesh covering the gaps to allow air flow to deter wax moths. I don't get moths, but a lot of frames become moldy and I throw a heap out every year. Not really sure what the solution is yet..

1 hour ago, Qkrwogud said:

Greatest struggle for me is preserving boxes/frames. I've built a thing that lets me store outdoor, sealed enough that bees can't get in but with mesh covering the gaps to allow air flow to deter wax moths. I don't get moths, but a lot of frames become moldy and I throw a heap out every year. Not really sure what the solution is yet..

A small chest freezer 

Stack them in over winter .

I have no issues parking them up in an unused sleepout. 

11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

A small chest freezer 

Stack them in over winter .

I don't have the space nor really willing to make the investment..

• Like 1

Just now, Qkrwogud said:

I don't have the space nor really willing to make the investment..

I have had a lot less of an issue this winter.

I can tell now which frames are likely to mould and these go in my spare small chest freezer .

I freeze all frames  for 48 hours for wax month , then dry them thoroughly before storing them .

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I have had a lot less of an issue this winter.

I can tell now which frames are likely to mould and these go in my spare small chest freezer .

I freeze all frames  for 48 hours for wax month , then dry them thoroughly before storing them .

You mean they don't get stored in the freezer? If not, after the freeze and dry where/how do you store them?

1 hour ago, Qkrwogud said:

You mean they don't get stored in the freezer? If not, after the freeze and dry where/how do you store them?

Some stay in the freezer.

Some get stacked in a super or in an HD nuc and sealed in a plastic bag.

They get checked occasionally and if any are bad I put in the sun then in the freezer.

It's empty brood frames esp with a bit of pollen that mould.

On 18/09/2018 at 7:51 PM, Qkrwogud said:

not sure how mouldy you're talking, but i suggest trying putting them back with the bees and enjoying the result

extracted honey supers don't tend to get mould at all, maybe avoid storing other frames off the hive where possible?

Edited by tommy dave

Welcome Jake. Thank you for what you do. 

Thank you for asking, I would love to see more help available to non commercial beekeepers and to see small beekeeping operations continue rather than dwindle. AFB org do a fabulous job and I’m thankful that support. You might find it useful to take a couple of days and read all the forums here to help answer your questions as I’m doing at the moment. But I’m sure you already have by now. At the moment many beekeepers are supporting each other via this forum and only about 20% of the 6000+ forum members are members of APINZ. That tells me Apinz could reconsider its bias towards commerce...if there’s too many hives then look at it another way how do Apinz support all in the industry to be knowledgeable able beekeepers. How does Apinz support bees feed supply and health via horticultural cooperation and council planting programmes. Short courses from the management agency would be peachy as well as quals like yours. 

I have decided not to renew my APINZ membership, an online magazine is all I get for $86 and a lot of marketing blah blah about what the organisation does for us. My impression is that the promotional blurb on their website is the Emperors new clothes. My &*#$@#$& detector did switch on. I was to pay as much as a beekeeper with 25 hives.

If I don’t pay membership I can’t vote no to APINZ’s levy proposal and I see that as a clever move to make sure the Levy passes. 

I would rather donate to the bee forum here where experienced beekeepers patiently help those learning to become better beekeepers with immediate help. APINZ seems geared towards the 5 billion number and seem dazzled by the growing commerce around honey production.

They state they do want to keep bees in their bee forum profile in post here on the forum. I find that unsettling. Have another their website, its easy to see how I the hobbyist with one hive might turn away from joining. My argument to Apinz is that my one little hive does matter. What service do they offer non commercial Beeks. They need to preserve and support diversity of size of operations and make sure its not just commerce that they value. The bond I have with my colony does matter. The time I can commit means I can look after bees well, so my small operation is important as an insurance policy in the background if things go wrong for larger operations. Bees are essential to my gardening system and I value the honey and the food on our table that my colony affords me. Imagine if 1 in every 200 people in NZ had bees.

So where is our national bee response unit, affordable short courses and school beekeeping programmes run by APINZ , where are our architecture students designing urban apiculture spaces.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/28/swarm-alert-slovenias-rapid-bee-response-team-in-action?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other 

E27E5526-8B48-4340-A69F-9916060410AA.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoED said:

If I don’t pay membership I can’t vote no to APINZ’s levy proposal

I'm sure I've read here somewhere that is actually illegal under the relevant levies act

• Agree 1

On 29/08/2018 at 6:56 PM, Philbee said:

Its ok, it went across the corner but through a frame

Does that need to go on your harvest declaration? 

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Norm said:

No Summer colony losses this year for the first time for years 

Can you refernce your information source for that please.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Norm said:

because of the very hot weather the farmers did not spray.

Can you reference your information source for that also please.