CraBee

Show Us Your Bee Dog

i recon your beef chomping  Dalmatian may make that volcano seem like a fart in a sack specially  letting him inside like that.. my pack have dog style luxury.. hand made pink batt lined kennels.. old horse winter covers to sleep on even.. and I can't smell a thing sitting beside my fire ?

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

i recon your beef chomping  Dalmatian may make that volcano seem like a fart in a sack specially  letting him inside like that.. my pack have dog style luxury.. hand made pink batt lined kennels.. old horse winter covers to sleep on even.. and I can't smell a thing sitting beside my fire ?

love is blind !

my bee dog says it's winter:-)

IMG_20180529_163700.jpg

• Like 6

This is bear. He's a 9 month chocolate kelpie.

He's learnt to go rabbit hunting while I'm beekeeping. 

IMG_1335.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Far out he certainly deserves his name. Awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Haha I never even noticed that until you mentioned it. His best mate is called teddy.... 

This is a combination of Dog and June 

Got the a few hives knocked over- not usually a problem- but I found the culprit as it was just scuttling away from the scene.  

And I caught him.  Leo the Lion. He doesn't usually come out with me, and loves to sit in the ute- I have to kick him out (and lift him in!!)  Part of the journey involves the sharing of food, as he needs to feed that powerful physique.  

Yep, I know, I could get some emlocks, straps.  Got a few emlocks and trying to decide between them and those aerofast straps.  The emlocks are good though I don't like inadvertently stepping or kneeling on them.  I have a sample of aerofast- the buckle is a bit higher profile, which might catch as I load/unload.  

Our lids stay on pretty good.  Stock squeezed into a space tend to be a problem.  And I love that cow poo. 

Hive dog.jpg

hive.jpg

• Like 5

Busy day for the bee dog trying to figure out if dad's face is better than laying down in front of the fireIMG_20180601_104537.thumb.jpg.7c8d9908cbccf936f972efee09df8fec.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Got the a few hives knocked over- not usually a problem- but I found the culprit as it was just scuttling away from the scene.  

And I caught him.  Leo the Lion. He doesn't usually come out with me, and loves to sit in the ute- I have to kick him out (and lift him in!!)  Part of the journey involves the sharing of food, as he needs to feed that powerful physique.  

Yep, I know, I could get some emlocks, straps.  Got a few emlocks and trying to decide between them and those aerofast straps.  The emlocks are good though I don't like inadvertently stepping or kneeling on them.  I have a sample of aerofast- the buckle is a bit higher profile, which might catch as I load/unload.  

Our lids stay on pretty good.  Stock squeezed into a space tend to be a problem.  And I love that cow poo. 

10 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Hive dog.jpg

hive.jpg

a simple em lock strap or mini strop solves this. Can't understand why you have unstrapped hives on pallets?? Pallets are pretty bullet proof when run correctly. I've had 7 pallet sites wintered with mobs of bulls before  and in spring the ground around them Is 12 inches lower with highly pollished lid corners complete with 2 kg of bull hair jammed into the edges covered in mud and poo but at least the bees are still safe. Angry from repeat rubbing for sure but not washed out by rain snow and robbed by every beehive in range. 

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Can't understand why you have unstrapped hives on pallets?? Pallets are pretty bullet proof when run correctly.

I know right!  I do have hives with emloks only in areas where stock might be an issue (bulls or young heifers).  It's unusual for me to find hives off pallets.  

But did you spot the dog??  Which strapping do you find better, ems or aerofast types?

Aerofast all the way I hate emlocks with a passion

I think our best investement ever was the aerofast straps .... every hive now has it's mat, queen excluder and propolis mat, not to mention lid which has a record of it's history over the season. And where are you gonna find rocks to hold evrything down in a green desert ?

@Lindaloo26 how did that tiny little dog knock over hives?

3 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Lindaloo26 how did that tiny little dog knock over hives?

Don't be deceived.  The smallest can be the meanest,  he doesn't let his stature define who he is.   Anyone at ringing the bell believes there to be a large dog behind the door.  Got a big bark for a little guy.  Maybe he thought he was a wolf and blew them over. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

I think our best investement ever was the aerofast straps

5 hours ago, glynn said:

Aerofast all the way I hate emlocks with a passion

Where's Stoney??   What do you guys use? 

That's two in the Aerofast party.   I have played with the camlock type also-  easy to use but not as tight/strong as the ratchet  type.  Though the ratchet type does require some maintenance (lubrication) -  WD40 I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Where's Stoney??   What do you guys use? 

That's two in the Aerofast party.   I have played with the camlock type also-  easy to use but not as tight/strong as the ratchet  type.  Though the ratchet type does require some maintenance (lubrication) -  WD40 I suppose. 

I'm back (had ripper rugby) we use emlock but the odd strong quad that requires skyscraper supering ends up with aerofast mini strops on it as they're a longer length. 

I dont care either way the main thing is they're nice and tight, for rough cranework when shifting and against wintering beefies, they love rubbing on them. 

all our hives have emlocks, we get them cheap at the ware house, only thing with the ware house ones are that they are a bit short, but as we don]t stack our hives high its not to big a problem,

Aerofast straps we use for the higher hives and when  shifting hives,

Edited by kevin moore
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

cheap at the ware house

The warehouse?  proper emlocks?  Who else buys these?

Aerofasts are great, gets a bit expensive if the cows chew them up though.

I use packing strapping and a wire buckle.

14 hours ago, Daley said:

Aerofasts are great, gets a bit expensive if the cows chew them up though.

yeah, I wondered about that.  You mean the ends/tails that cows chew?  Or the strap proper.   I have noticed frayed ends and never saw the sods in action.  I think it's the younger heifers doing that. 

3 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

yeah, I wondered about that.  You mean the ends/tails that cows chew?  Or the strap proper.   I have noticed frayed ends and never saw the sods in action.  I think it's the younger heifers doing that. 

Yeah just the ends but they can chew them right back to the fastener which is a pain and you end up with a whole lot of useless short straps that you can’t thread very easily.

I used to side buckle them and roll them and tuck them around under the hives so they can’t get to them.

It is usually only young cattle.

• Good Info 1

Here's my bee dog. He's a wise one and watches from a distance - the girls nail him.

20180522_140157_crop_604x604.jpg

• Like 6