kaihoka

Cow farmers AFB moment

Wonder if Gypsy Day will be cancelled this year.

• Agree 1

in the BOP Times this morning.. "...M.Bovis has spread "beyond expectation" in the last six days..."  well the number of properties under regulatory control have increased from 130 to 290 in those SIX days.  Give it up, live with it.  I would love to know who/how it got it here.  Like varroa we might never know.  The NAIT system was a balls up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We could slow down the incursions by requiring those who import semen/fertilised eggs etc to carry enough insurance for several years to totally cover any repercussions of the imports.

38 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

We could slow down the incursions by requiring those who import semen/fertilised eggs etc to carry enough insurance for several years to totally cover any repercussions of the imports.

Its easy to agree with you, however this is also how illegal/black market imports occur. There needs be a way of encouraging good behaviour without making it so hard that people circumvent the rules. I’m glad the problems aren’t mine to solve.

19 minutes ago, cBank said:

I’m glad the problems aren’t mine to solve.

"someone else's problem" is as endemic as greed and irresponsibility :ph34r:

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

agreed 'yesbut' this could become an issue for beekeepers if farmers don't want you on their farm if you been on other farms. wether we like t or not, our industry is connected/interact into a lot of other ones.

• Agree 6

Apparently the test they were using to identify the disease wasn't accurate either  .. so if this s true no wonder it has ballooned into a raging outbreak 

6 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

in the BOP Times this morning.. "...M.Bovis has spread "beyond expectation" in the last six days..."  well the number of properties under regulatory control have increased from 130 to 290 in those SIX days.  Give it up, live with it.  I would love to know who/how it got it here.  Like varroa we might never know.  The NAIT system was a balls up. 

I have heard through the grape vine how it got her but are mpi prosecuting.No.Like the calici virus in rabbits.I am sure M.P.I kew how it got hee and who imported it but no conviction.Now who pays for the containment,taxpayers or farmers under the G.I.A. Think about our own industry if we get an outbreak of E.F.B. do the taxpayers pick up the bill,or the beekeeping industry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I’d assumed there wouldn’t be too many here keen to work in a government ministry. I may have been mistaken.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

I would love to know who/how it got it here.  Like varroa we might never know.  The NAIT system was a balls up. 

I read that it came in with illegal importation of vaccines (cheap ones) and they are pretty sure who it was. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing is confirmed as to how it got in . 

If you scroll down this article you will see the map of where it is and where it may be , and this is before beef farms have been tested on a large scale , which isn’t possible at this stage 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/103833840/Thousands-of-diseased-calves-taken-to-works-and-dumped-in-landfill?cid=app-iPhone

Im afraid the gates been left open and it’s time to stop wasting money on its eradication . 

Looks a lot like the AFB map doesn’t it 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 1

I think it is like myrtle rust and varroa .

I asked a DOC friend how many trees found  with myrtle rust in NZ had died and he said all of  them. From a chainsaw.

So a lack of scientific observation.

It must be awful to have to destroy your herd.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Can anyone suggest an example where, after a prolonged period of hand-wringing over some biosecurity incursion, our government minders haven't just thrown in the towel and said 'Nothing more we can do lads, just get on with it.'

Any example?

Edited by Dave Black

1 minute ago, Dave Black said:

Can anyone suggest an example where, after a prolonged period of hand-wringing over some biosecurity incursion, our government minders haven't just thrown in the towel and said 'Nothing more we can do lads, just get on with it.'

Any example?

What about when they sprayed Auckland for moth a few years ago .

Unless the organism wipes out humans there will always be a limit to ressources thrown at its destruction .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Unless the organism wipes out humans there will always be a limit to ressources thrown at its destruction .

X 2 . Painted apple moth was it? And another one some years before

17 hours ago, Stoney said:

Apparently the test they were using to identify the disease wasn't accurate either  .. so if this s true no wonder it has ballooned into a raging outbreak 

Where was this stated? There are two aspects I'd say - one is the accuracy of a test and the 2nd is that a positive animal may not secrete the bacteria at a particular time so that it can be detected. Ie the sample taken really is negative (test may be correct) but the animal is positive. 

Hence the need to test and re-test. 

3 hours ago, kaihoka said:

The painted apple moth, I think that's appeared several times. @JohnF might be thinking of the Queensland fruit fly. There are other current ones like the Pea Weevil, Velevetleaf, Casebearer moth, Bonamia ostreae, Red-vented bulbul, Black grass, and Fire ants. Not sure if Kauri die-back counts, and let's not think about all the marine visitors, or the viruses and bacteria that rain out of the sky (800 million per square meter each day apparently). Being realistic, my guess is that MPI's function is largely to minimise any economic effects rather anything else. And they make 'mistakes' (like Bonamia).

@JohnF Mycoplasmas are quite unusual things to deal with aren't they? Funny cell membranes and weird metabolism for instance.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

4 hours ago, Dave Black said:

Any example?

Mediterranean Fanworm 

Yep, bacteria but without a proper cell wall (the usual target for antibiotics) so it makes treatment difficult.

However relatively straightforward to get DNA from and test. The current test is the same as that used for manuka - a qPCR test

Wiki says it can be carried by other animals so in a worst case scenario could that mean that wild animals like Opossums, wild Pigs and Deer etc are possible reservoirs in the Bush adjacent to farms  

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Wiki says it can be carried by other animals so in a worst case scenario could that mean that wild animals like Opossums, wild Pigs and Deer etc are possible reservoirs in the Bush adjacent to farms  

Next thing you know DoC 'll be leaving the deer repellent out.

• Like 1

Seems to be transfering around the country quite well on a truck and trailer unit quite well, status declaration or not.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Next thing you know DoC 'll be leaving the deer repellent out.

That does it, Im buying 3 chest freezers and as soon as the weather comes right Im going hunting every day until they are full

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Seems to be transfering around the country quite well on a truck and trailer unit quite well, status declaration or not.

Yes it does . 

Now there is plenty of finger pointing and speculation going around as to how it got here. And now that it’s here , it’s getting around the country quite well. 

Most other countries in the world have M Bovis . It could just as easily have been introduced via tourism , so I don’t think it’s worth getting hung up on that . It’s here . Let’s go through the options .

Eliminating an environmental bacterial pathogen is just not possible without eliminating all available hosts . That’s doable (maybe ) on a single farm scale , but even then I doubt it . 

So let’s just chuck more money at it ? No. M Bovis doesn’t respond to money .

There is a misconception going around that gypsy day (June 1) will spread it worse , and it may well do . But May 1 has already gone which is when youngstock move off farm and back again as in calf heifers , on a grand scale .

There are so many pathogens in NZ that are easier to eradicate and test for , but have not successfully been eradicated . 

Its here guys . Let’s cut to the chase and learn to manage it rather than pretend we can eradicate . 

Same as AFB 

• Agree 2