White Eyed Drone

NZBF How often have you heard “I’ve got some Manuka at my place, I might get bees and make Manuka honey”?

A number of my friends and colleagues are aware that I started beekeeping a year ago. They are also aware that Manuka honey sells for a fair price.

It seems like every week someone says to me “hey we’ve got Manuka near us, I’m thinking of getting some bees and selling Manuka honey, how would I do that”.

While I don’t like bursting bubbles, I find myself outlying the typical things, like... you can’t fence in or out bees, bees might just prefer to go to plants other than Manuka, commercial kitchen requirement etc.

Is this just an occupational hazard that comes with being a beekeeper?

yeah pretty much the norm. get it regularly. 

• Agree 2

Sure is. We get it all.. even had people think the boxes on our truck are put in the paddock and the bees deliver the honey to the box while living elsewhere.. classic. 

One of my wintering sites has 20 new Manuka plants around it.. the owner has asked about profit share..... oh dear. 

• Haha 6

You mean, if I've got 2 hives and a dozen manuka trees in the driveway I'm not going to be a millionaire?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, White Eyed Drone said:

A number of my friends and colleagues are aware that I started beekeeping a year ago. They are also aware that Manuka honey sells for a fair price.

It seems like every week someone says to me “hey we’ve got Manuka near us, I’m thinking of getting some bees and selling Manuka honey, how would I do that”.

While I don’t like bursting bubbles, I find myself outlying the typical things, like... you can’t fence in or out bees, bees might just prefer to go to plants other than Manuka, commercial kitchen requirement etc.

Is this just an occupational hazard that comes with being a beekeeper?

You could tell them beekeeping is risky, costly and hard work, but apart from that it is an ideal business.

• Like 1

Occupational hazard I’m afraid.

All the  Manuka honey in a friends hundred hives has come back as rata this year .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@nikki watts in this case it is ok . My friend has another big business . He has an experienced beek to  run his hives.

He will integrate the rata honey into his  other business.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

He has an experienced beek to  run his hives.

You'd maybe have to wonder if he expected the bees to shop for manuka just over the road from the rata mall ?

When are you back home, I'm thinking tree dahlia...

Edited by yesbut
  • Thanks 1

Just now, yesbut said:

You'd maybe have to wonder if he expected the bees to shop for manuka just over the road from the rata mall ?

He was aware this would probably happen but was surprised at the extent that it did .

I have other friends in an area  down the coast who were surprised at how much Manuka they had.

The wind probably restricted the bees flight range .

if i had a dollar for every-time i heard that - i wouldn't need to chase manuka

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1