Tuesday eighth of May 7 p.m. Arataki staff room.
Unless people turn up and put their hands up we may move to close the hub down. Maybe I have just been chairman too long but I feel the hubs no longer serve same purpose as the old branches did. There seems to be less interest from what's left of the older established beekeeping companies and no interest from new commercial beekeepers at least at the hub level. Field days still attract plenty but they are mostly hobbyists. Personally I like hobbyists and would rather teach them than help some new commercial who is as likely as not to dump hives on top of me. If we do close down then we may look at forming a hobby club. Any thoughts.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cripes some people. It's not far away unless you have to get on the ferry...

We went 4WDing the other week, it didn’t work 

You forget who you are talking to. Mind you it might shake that baby out a bit earlier

I attended a few local meetings and evenings early on in my beekeeping career and found those occasions to be extremely informative. John and Deanna have done outstanding work, providing information and support to local beekeepers. Their wealth of knowledge and willingness to help others learn has been first class.  Thank you both.

Being the largely solitary character that I am means I rarely attend group orientated activities, but I do feel that it would be very real shame if budding beekeeping enthusiasts had nowhere to turn for guidance and most importantly, for information about the critical areas of beekeeping, those being bee health and all matters regulatory. I feel that there is a very real need for a local beekeeping group, regardless of any affiliation to a wider organisation or not. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, yesbut said:

Cripes some people. It's not far away unless you have to get on the ferry...

I don’t know man the Gisborne to Napier road isn’t really my idea of a good time

Meeting went ahead without you nab :)

We didn't close down, but I have resigned as secretary as I'm just horribly overcommitted at the moment, and while we do have an incoming secretary, she doesn't have the capacity to organise field days and write newsletters as I did previously. 

As a result we'll be calling a public meeting for beekeepers with the aim of inspiring the formation of a local club.   It's going to take me a while to get organised, and there are some key locals I want to attend, so please be patient.   I'll get my last buzzsheet out in the next few weeks when we have the meeting plans nailed down. 

We'll notify the meeting through the buzzsheet, here, our facebook page and any other local news sources we can, so hopefully no-one misses out.