Hannes

Financial account

My first year with hives on the accounts. What do your accounts value a hive at. What do you book as assets and what is consumables? 

Thanks 

Find an accountant that has other beekeepers on the books is my advice, otherwise it’s a pain in the butt.

I just look on trademe for hive value

16 hours ago, Hannes said:

My first year with hives on the accounts. What do your accounts value a hive at. What do you book as assets and what is consumables? 

Thanks 

Break down a hive into each component, you will know what each item is worth. Times that by how ever many you have , plus supers etc. add value of bees to that. 

Would you add the value of the bees to your stock?  The likes of cattle and sheep have a set value from the IRD. It is way under what market value is for them but that is the set value. If you are a retailer you show stock on hand at cost. Should we show a hive at cost? When you through out that old frame, is it stock or consumables? 

Like @daley said, find an accountant who knows about beekeeping and they’ll have all the answers. There’s one that advertises in the beekeeper mag. 

My accountant keeps income and expenditure from beehives seperate from other income (beef).

Tricky question, if I bought a beehive it would be stock, but hiveware is consumable.

its always been stock on hand as at 31 march every year.

Doesn't sound like a hobby operation to me !

• Agree 1

It starts as hobby, then it becomes an addiction.

Just now, Bee Good said:

It starts as hobby, then it becomes an addiction.

I've managed to keep mine under control since 1981. My population builds up a bit at swarm time but always recedes again. 

I don’t have to tell my accountant anything, he knows what he’s doing, which is good because otherwise I could guarantee I would tell him wrong.

I give him bank statements, invoices and receipts.

He does magic to them, and says pay IRD this much, and pay me this much.

All I did at the start was tell him how many hives I had and come up with a figure of what they are worth, he does quite a few beekeepers so he knows where to put everything and he used to be an auditor for IRD so I know there’s not going to be any ugly come backs.

• Like 2