RGBees

Advice needed: How to get other beekeepers to move their hives from your land

We've had another beeks hives on our land for several years now.

A several months ago we ask them to remove their hives from our land but said it was OK to to keep them there until the summer was over.

Fast forward to the end of summer and we asked them again to remove the hives from our land and was told they would.

It's now May and the hives are still there.

I'm going to call them and ask for them to be removed once again.

After this what sort of etiquette would be reasonable, if the hives haven't been removed removed in two weeks time?

Should I load them onto a ute and drop them off at their house?

Nope, the hives have been there for years.

Seems like they are taking the piss a bit, and if you want to be serious about it, I would give them a last call and a deadline and advise the consequences if they are still there eg they could be sold, eg they could be moved eg burnt etc.

• Agree 2

Did you talk to the boss ? 

I wouldnt go as as far as threatening to burn , but I’d certainly request a move by date , just to be clear 

Yeah that sucks, my belief is that the beekeeper should do all possible to keep the land owner happy. I would issue a formal letter to the boss/person in charge, with a removal by date ( 2 weeks), and consequences if not removed. Ideal consequences to me would be, hives will be removed to another location and put up for sale to recover removal costs. List them somewhere for $20.00 with the condition of sale that they will be checked for AFB by a third party at the buyers cost. Just make sure the letter does actually get to the boss, and not left in a glovebox by a useless employee.

Just give them a date they must be gone by. No exceptions, that way everyone’s clear.. end of summer is a fairly long time..... autumn. 

If the beek's  as ignorant as he appears to be dig a hole & bury them tomorrow

4 hours ago, M4tt said:

Did you talk to the boss ? 

I wouldnt go as as far as threatening to burn , but I’d certainly request a move by date , just to be clear 

Yep, spoke to the boss, will give them a call in the morning with a deadline.

3 hours ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

Yeah that sucks, my belief is that the beekeeper should do all possible to keep the land owner happy. I would issue a formal letter to the boss/person in charge, with a removal by date ( 2 weeks), and consequences if not removed. Ideal consequences to me would be, hives will be removed to another location and put up for sale to recover removal costs. List them somewhere for $20.00 with the condition of sale that they will be checked for AFB by a third party at the buyers cost. Just make sure the letter does actually get to the boss, and not left in a glovebox by a useless employee.

Been dealing with the boss and they're just as usless, rarely seek their beek as the hives are on the otherside of the farm.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

If the beek's  as ignorant as he appears to be dig a hole & bury them tomorrow

Bit of waste of bees and #### digging a hole big enough for 8 hives.

Could be they are short on places to move them to. 

But if that is not the issue then they need to get moving before sites are getting too wet. They may just do nothing, and hope you forget about the issue.

Interesting dilema actually, not sure where things stand legally. The hives are their property, so removing them yourself would be theft. However there must be some law against leaving stuff on other peoples property after being requested to remove it. 

A lawyer would know. But for now, I'd start a paper trail, such as an email correspondence, so if things get ugly you can demonstrate what date you asked them to move them.

Edited by Alastair

13 minutes ago, Alastair said:

The hives are their property, so removing them yourself would be theft.

Not if they were placed on the nearest roadside.

Absolutely bad behavior in my opinion.  we had one farmer asked us to move the hives 50 metres, it took us a couple of weeks only because that time frame was okay with the landowner and we were busy.  However another landowner wanted us to look at bees getting in their house which we believe were another beeks on other land below their property, our bees were out the back of the farm when we went for a look she said it was just not working for them bees being there so we removed them that night.  It is not our land and not our right to stay if not wanted.  

• Agree 3

A tenant left heaps of rubbish behind , old cars , carpets outside etc ,bags of stuff.

I was advised I could not legally remove the stuff cause it was theirs and I had no right to touch it .

If you need to spray harmful chemicals then you are bound to contact the Beek and he will move the hives or risk losing them.

That is the trouble with this country, the law is so Mamby pamby.......ooooo you can't do this and you can't do that as someone has left their crap on your property! I read that flowchart, after storing securely for 35 days and going to all that trouble and trouble to sell it and the money then MUST go to tenancy tribunal! I would sort them myself, and if beekeeper turns up, act surprised and say well someone must have stolen them.

Ring them again.

Tell them to move by set date, or else.

It may be that they have ‘forgotten’ or their concept of the end of summer is different to yours, however it’s more likely that they are just being difficult.

If I was asked to move I would only have to be told once, I have no interest in being where I’m not wanted.

Ive been asked to move hives a couple of times for various reasons and I clear my schedule and make every effort to move my hives the day I am asked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One way to do it is to take them to court charged with trespass and knowingly running a bee operation for financial gain on your land . It's gonna cost you, but might move things along. Or you could just pick em up and return to owner. Both options have the potential  to be messy !

22 hours ago, RGBees said:

Should I load them onto a ute and drop them off at their house?

LOL, if it drags on too long their front lawn might be an option.

Then you'll find out how fast they can really organise a move. :)

I would suggest not moving them yourself. Yes, the hives are on your property, but you don't own the hives. Get in touch with the owner again and make it very clear that if the hives are not removed from your property within the next two days, that you will make arrangements to have them removed - at their cost. This may include getting in touch with the police to see where you legally stand.

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

A tenant left heaps of rubbish behind , old cars , carpets outside etc ,bags of stuff.

I was advised I could not legally remove the stuff cause it was theirs and I had no right to touch it .

this aint a tenancy issue, give them 48 hrs to move or they will be burned/buried or sold as is where is, its your land dont let them push you around.

• Agree 3

Could they be hives of a company trying to sell up ???

Well @RGBees, even if we ain't solved your problem, think of all the other landowners with apiaries of 8 hives on that the beek has rung up to check with the property owner that they are happy.

18 hours ago, Alastair said:

Could be they are short on places to move them to. 

But if that is not the issue then they need to get moving before sites are getting too wet. They may just do nothing, and hope you forget about the issue.

Interesting dilema actually, not sure where things stand legally. The hives are their property, so removing them yourself would be theft. However there must be some law against leaving stuff on other peoples property after being requested to remove it. 

A lawyer would know. But for now, I'd start a paper trail, such as an email correspondence, so if things get ugly you can demonstrate what date you asked them to move them.

It's certainly is interesting, I've been doing some thinking around the whole property thing and yes the hive themselves are the legal property of someone else however, I really doubt that the bees themselves could be classed as legal property as there is no way you could be able to identify each individual bee and claim as your own.

This got me thinking about the idea of swarms, say if there were two beeks in two paddock next to each with their own hives and one of the hives from beek A and then was caught by beek B, it would be impossible to contest from a legal sense that beek A was the true owner of the bees.

That being said, I was also thinking about the idea that if you were to leave something on someone else's property if it would constitute trespassing.

• Like 1