May 2018 Beekeeping Diary

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

breakfast buffet in Amsterdam included an entire comb of honey. A very clear delicate flavoured one.

Found this in the bee shed today    

I'm glad I've finished our house... plastering rates are set to quadruple what with this huge shortage in materials and no one can figure out why

Posted Images

We are now finding hobby newbees who have never used a hammer, so we start with that bit first, and they really enjoy the whole process of assembley, but it shows how life has changed - we all built huts and forts and whatever else we thought we needed. I really enjoy the woodwork side of it, and while I have made some boxes from the start, mainly just assemble boxes now, but make nuc boxes etc instead for fun. Have extended the tool and skill range in the beek cause over time. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Janice said:

Lots. My favourite was dishwashers (in the early 1970s). There were four of us and we made eight a day. I was not so keen on putting electric plugs on appliances, but I didn't mind meat packing or shoving frozen lambs along on hooks. Sewing pajamas was not fun, but making up electronic circuit boards was OK. Chocolate biscuits was OK because you could eat them (the pay was so bad that was a meal replacement).

I have only worked in Apple packing house . Did an 8 hour day , then back for night shift .

It was a horrible job , only made bearable by the fact that all the people I worked with thought the same .

so we all supported each other to make it as ok as possible .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Janice how did you go from production lines to being an editor of a newspaper ?

I am a subeditor, so a bit more lowly. I worked at the post office, did an apprenticeship in telephone faults, left to be a computer programmer in my 30s, then became a newspaper proofreader and 24 years later here I am.

• Like 3
On 24/05/2018 at 4:00 PM, Alastair said:

Guy rang to enquire about purchasing 3 nucs, and asking if there would be a discount for the "larger quantity".  :$

Yes, you'll include a queen with each nuc at no additional cost

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just returning from a trip to Aus - so of course check out the Australian manuka. Hadn't seen this sort of description before - now assigning NZ species to Aus variety.  Oh goody 

IMG_5332.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Stirrer 2

Went through hives today and removed strips so had a bit of a look .

3 of the 4 hives had quite a bit of moisture on the top .

I think one spot is not so good in a wet autumn with lower Sun.

Shuffled a two box hive down to one box .

They still have some stores but have certainly chopped through the food.

Two queens still laying .

One old queen is not but she will do for winter.

But big shock for me was that my best hive, the one with minimal varroa drop because it received effective OA and the one that was the driest and suniest, has no brood .

Nothing,  I did not see the queen but I did not look much in bottom box assumed she was in the top.

The bees were not behaving queenless.

When I looked a month ago I am sure I saw her or eggs.

Should I put a frame of eggs in to check .

14 minutes ago, yesbut said:

No, just be happy she's got enough brain to know it's winter !

That's what I am hoping .

I wonder why my other queens are so dumb.

The weather has been shocking but I have never had a queen switch off before .

55 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Went through hives today and removed strips so had a bit of a look .

3 of the 4 hives had quite a bit of moisture on the top .

I think one spot is not so good in a wet autumn with lower Sun.

Shuffled a two box hive down to one box .

They still have some stores but have certainly chopped through the food.

Two queens still laying .

One old queen is not but she will do for winter.

But big shock for me was that my best hive, the one with minimal varroa drop because it received effective OA and the one that was the driest and suniest, has no brood .

Nothing,  I did not see the queen but I did not look much in bottom box assumed she was in the top.

The bees were not behaving queenless.

When I looked a month ago I am sure I saw her or eggs.

Should I put a frame of eggs in to check .

you got a snsible queenthere .... sho gone to Tahiti , or on a cruise. She'll be back .:IMG_0385:

• Haha 1
Just now, M4tt said:

Think of it as a good thing 

I would of been happier if I had actually seen her.

I shall take it on faith that she is there.

I read recent posts about broodless hives being common this year .

She is the one queen I really want to be alive .

She has been my best .

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jamesc said:

you got a snsible queenthere .... sho gone to Tahiti , or on a cruise. She'll be back .:IMG_0385:

Cool emoji! 

Where do we find it?! 

(Must be apple ? friendly!)

On 27/05/2018 at 11:19 PM, CHCHPaul said:

Many of my colonies have chomped through their stores and are quite light. Can anyone suggest the best feeding method for when it is so cold? They are not very interested in heavy syrup in the top feeders...

I know it is not advised, but in such alarming situations I feed with own honey - crystallized and in women nylon stocking direct on top bars, the result is instant. 

• Like 1