Alastair

European Study finds the Primary Driver of Hive Losses is the Beekeeper

29 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Interesting comment. Just a few days ago a commercial beekeeper told me a case of a guy who was running a successful business in south auckland but sold up and switched to bees. Bought two new utes and a heap of hives. Now in his third season and has not harvested a drop of honey.

What happens next in these situations .

Do they sell up ?

Do they just keep going in the hope that things will change .

It would be a very demoralizing experience.

Don't know but I'm sure it's not the outcome they expected.

• Like 1

I still meet people on an almost daily basis who are convinced they going to take the beekeeping world by storm. I even heard the comment the other day that it was really easy money as the bees did all the work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, john berry said:

I still meet people on an almost daily basis who are convinced they going to take the beekeeping world by storm. I even heard the comment the other day that it was really easy money as the bees did all the work.

I meet a bloke the other day who is looking at getting into the industry

Some Commercial from the Wairapa  has told him its the Bees Knees.
I suggested he gets 5 hives and try it out
He looked at me as if I was nuts.
From what I could understand he was looking at 50 hives at 750 each

I just told him it was hard stressful work

Every industry has this element to it.. I had a successful stonemasonry business well before the great Chch quake.. the rebuild and repair work seemed endless... and the scum that appeared from nowhere to feed on the wounds of the damage was staggering.. as was the quality of the work. It was really hard to see something I was so passionate about treated as a cash cow by cowboys. 

Anytime there is a perceived boom there is a boom in so called operators.. fear not because they won't last long.. and the skill of those that remain will always tidy up the mess.. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

35 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I meet a bloke the other day who is looking at getting into the industry

Some Commercial from the Wairapa  has told him its the Bees Knees.
I suggested he gets 5 hives and try it out
He looked at me as if I was nuts.

I just told him it was hard stressful work

I woulda told him if he wanted to skip 6 months to a year of deep depression as they all die he could just burn his money.

56 minutes ago, john berry said:

Crazy how many people think that.

With their new ideas that no ones ever tried.. ??

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, john berry said:

as the bees did all the work.

Assuming 10,000 workers each covering 800 km that's 8 million km a bloke doesn't have to fly himself....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Every industry has this element to it.. I had a successful stonemasonry business well before the great Chch quake.. the rebuild and repair work seemed endless... and the scum that appeared from nowhere to feed on the wounds of the damage was staggering.. as was the quality of the work. It was really hard to see something I was so passionate about treated as a cash cow by cowboys. 

Anytime there is a perceived boom there is a boom in so called operators.. fear not because they won't last long.. and the skill of those that remain will always tidy up the mess.. 

Now the country is faced with repairs to the repairs to the shonky jobs.

But more to the topic, its a meaningless conclusion IMO

Of course the beek is the driver but the road is full of dangerous potholes.
Varroa is a Grim Reaper and losses are often despite the Beeks best and reasonable efforts.
The seasons can conspire against us like this one for example, what if it doesn't chill down and the bees continue to fly?

Do we keep feeding?

We might be driving  but the road is all over the place 

Well you know what will happen if you don't keep feeding.. varroa destructor is not the only colony killer. 

Its so easy making money from honey- "the bees do all the work" ?

42 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Well you know what will happen if you don't keep feeding.. varroa destructor is not the only colony killer. 

Its so easy making money from honey- "the bees do all the work" ?

She's money for jam mate .... you just keep putting those "filling cabinets "on and pulling them off .... honey in the tank is money in the bank. Just like the deer at the momment. $7.43/kg for weaner hinds  and an 11.00/kg schedule. Best money we made in six years. But I wonder, in five years time when those weaners start dropping fawns, will the marketing be in place to find a home for them .... ? I sure as heck hope so for all those guys making thier sheep fences a litlle bit higher. 

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I sure as heck hope so for all those guys making thier sheep fences a litlle bit higher. 

What. Deer boom is on again?

7 minutes ago, Alastair said:

What. Deer boom is on again?

Yes brother .... venison is yummy again .... not that it never was'nt !

• Good Info 1

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yes brother .... venison is yummy again .... not that it never was'nt !

Yeah sure is.. the WARO boys are giving the quiet corners of our hunting grounds a real good going over at the moment and doing very well I would say... some areas do need a wee tidy up im the first to admit but just wish they were restricted to hinds only- helps keep the numbers down, leaves more tucker and also recreational fellas happy to have a chance of their dream stags. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

sounds like an easy $37,500 for someone

• Like 1

If you started bee keeping in a good year if would seem like hard work but very  rewarding .

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Yeah sure is.. the WARO boys are giving the quiet corners of our hunting grounds a real good going over at the moment and doing very well I would say... some areas do need a wee tidy up im the first to admit but just wish they were restricted to hinds only- helps keep the numbers down, leaves more tucker and also recreational fellas happy to have a chance of their dream stags. 

Any chance of there being a goat boom any time soon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

sounds like an easy $37,500 for someone

I suggested he split his way in

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd do him 50 for a nice even $37k. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

goat boom any time soon.

That brings back memories

What great days they were (mid 80s)

ha hah we got our dream stag today .... a twelve pointer, lovely traditional head .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

If you started bee keeping in a good year if would seem like hard work but very  rewarding .

Any chance of there being a goat boom any time soon.

75% of the world eats goat  .... boom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Im surprised there’s not a whole heap more goat eaten in NZ it’s such good meat :) 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

ha hah we got our dream stag today .... a twelve pointer, lovely traditional head .

Very nice.. some great Rakaia bloodlines I’d imagine too. May is my favourite month.. hungry stags out feeding a little bit longer than usual.. and all the once a year townie hunters wearing compost bin camo are back at work until next rut 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Amen .... I love the autumn. The hard work is done, the colours are awesome and one just has a feeling on contentness that all one worried about in the spring really was'nt worth the worry .... or is too late to worry about !

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I know and they have reached plague proportions in our area.