JasonK

EU officially bans all outdoor usage of bee harming neonicitinoid pesticides

what is your greatest then 

• Sad 1

By greatest, possibly the greatest number of nuclear arms - and humanity can't get enough of those can it 

• Haha 1

easy question. ill ask again, what culture would you rather live in. 

Edited by nab

I'm a diehard Kiwi, and happy to remain so as are my children and in the meantime grand children. Perhaps in greater Auck we have a greater exposure of both the plusses and minuses of a sudden large influx of immigrants, and life rolls on.

then stop rubbishing  western culture then.  

On 28/04/2018 at 9:18 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

So what are they going to use in their place. The old chemicals are worse.  I don't have an answer. 

salt and vinegar,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nab said:

then stop rubbishing  western culture then.  

There is a difference between rubbishing western culture and being aware that not all it has done in the past was squeeky clean and glorious. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

There is a difference between rubbishing western culture and being aware that not all it has done in the past was squeeky clean and glorious

no culture has. 

1 hour ago, nab said:

western culture is the greatest. some other cultures do not assimilate into western cultures that's were you get the sticking point.  

Are you taking the piss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Are you taking the piss.

how

I have a feeling that western culture has probably led to more environmental degradation than some others...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I have a feeling that western culture has probably led to more environmental degradation than some others...

no doubt!!! and its going to be western culture that will bring about a more cleaner world. its already happening, the whole green wave that is happening.. and i'm all for it really   

Nil or negative population growth and no immigration or reciprocal emigration to countries that don't have the same policy regardless of their culture. I love people but there are just too many of us.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nab said:

no doubt!!! and its going to be western culture that will bring about a more cleaner world. its already happening, the whole green wave that is happening.. and i'm all for it really   

I think it's the Chinese who are going to save the planet .

@nab there’s no greatest culture, there is simply different cultures, and any opinion is speculative. For example, if I said my opinion was that tribal cultures who live in harmony with their environment in the rainforests of Latin America are the greatest culture, because they take only what they need and don’t destroy for greed or ‘wealth’. That’s expressing an opinion. Actions speak louder than words however.. I don’t use plastic, and grow my own food etc, but i contribute to a financially driven system that I despise, and I drive a car that burns fossil fuels.. but i respect all ethnicities exactly equally, and do not view any human as being better or worse in any way because of genetics or anything out of their control. Think of shoe on other foot kind of thing. Maybe Uganda will be next superpower and your kids will seek refuge there to escape war or poverty in New Zealand.. it would be pretty lame if the locals turned their nose up at them wouldn’t it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think it's the Chinese who are going to save the planet .

They’re the worlds largest producers / investors of renewable energy generation equipment at present. Anything is possible. And furthermore, it’s usually the ones we think we have all sussed out that hold the greatest capacity to surprise us. Look at Costa Rica. 100 percent of their electricity in 2017 was generated from renewable energy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kevin moore said:

salt and vinegar,

I have been taught many organic pest control methods in my horticulture class this past 6 months. I’m amazed at how effective they are, and don’t understand why these and some cultural controls aren’t implemented instead of damaging chemicals.

12 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Look at Costa Rica. 100 percent of their electricity in 2017 was generated from renewable energy. 

Once NZ did too, hydro electric. Then we got too many people, maxed out the hydro electric capacity, now we burn coal to make up the difference. 

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

Nil or negative population growth and no immigration or reciprocal emigration to countries that don't have the same policy regardless of their culture. I love people but there are just too many of us.

The more different the better. That goes for almost everything.. even in biological terms.. diversity is strength. Bees included I dare say! The more isolated a ‘culture’ becomes, the less tolerable they become of other cultures. I agree that the population growth of places like auckland are causes for genuine concern.. but that’s more the fault with it’s awkward geographical location and lack of modern transportation systems than it is of ‘immigrants’. New Zealand needs more culture if anything!!

It’s much easier to point the finger at something different and claim that it’s causing problems. But scratch the surface and it’s a rather fickle argument. 

I do agree however that people, and honey bees are overpopulated and damaging other species etc. New Zealand will experience a far greater influx of people from a far broader spectrum of ethnicities, cultures, and societal backgrounds, as will most countries. That’s just how it goes. Being Irish, I’ve been reasonably well accepted here, but I dread to think of how it would’ve been if I was from an unusual ethnicity. Saying that, there is a bigotry in most continents and countries I’ve lived in, which is a sad reality, 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Once NZ did too, hydro electric. Then we got too many people, maxed out the hydro electric capacity, now we burn coal to make up the difference. 

Yeah nz pretty good with renewable energy generation. Though I dare say that 100 percent is not only possible here, but in every god damned country in the world. No exaggeration or exception.

4 minutes ago, Alastair said:

i like hydro and wind power. put every time there is a major project proposed, there is some do-gooder who says that it will kill the things living in the water. or the wind turbines will destroy the view. but they are the first ones to moan when they have no power 

10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

If tiwai point closed down would we need to burn coal ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JasonK said:

New Zealand needs more culture if anything!!

You jus think that cuz you live in Taranaki ☺️

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I have been taught many organic pest control methods in my horticulture class this past 6 months. I’m amazed at how effective they are, and don’t understand why these and some cultural controls aren’t implemented instead of damaging chemicals.

Hard to scale up .

Their is an enormous organic farm in Ukraine . But the soil there is fantastic , they have cold winters so kill off bugs and hot dry summers.

Also consumers are resistant to anything but perfect produce , hard to do with organics.

That attitude developed  when Japan became the dominant economy  That the world traded with .

They demanded perfect produce in perfect packaging . The triumph of style over substance really got going .

Modern Packaging craziness mostly started then.

• Good Info 1

Yup, in Japan they even grow square watermelons.

square watermelons.JPG