MPI test result Quiz

Bee Good

Just got my MPI 5 test results back for my best tea tree site.

Thought I would test those who undersand the new standard and tell us the answer to the results

Results as follows

4- HPLA     3.8

2-MBA       7.5

2-MAP       3.9

3-PLA        690

DNA           26.63

Multi choice  A) Mono floral Manuka

B) Multi floral Manuka

Hint, Its a trick question, but these are the actual figures for the test

Yes, thats the correct answer, non Manuka.

Because the phenyllactic acid is greater than 400mg/kg it can't be multi.

Because the methoxacetophenone is less 5mg/kg it cant be mono.

This honey came frightningly close to being classed as mono but has been downgraded to non manuka

Theres definately a floor in MPI standard.

Might do a retest in a month.

Good spotting though

Yep this annoys the heck out of me. Had the final inspection for our RMP premises the other day, and even the MPI inspector was saying that the 'between 20 & 400mg' for it to class as multifloral was so wrong, and that all the beeks needed to make heaps of noise and get it changed to ' greater than 20mg' for multifloral. 

Edited by Cyathea
  • Agree 1

The testing company was quite sympathetic to this sitiation and has seen quite a bit of this "no mans land honey" and strongly recommended voicing concerns to MPI about there new standard. Its my guess that when they do,nt reply its because they have no explanation and choose to ignore.

Maybe this is what comvita ment by estimated income.

This is costing the New Zealand honey industry heaps.

We were better off when the pirates code of honor applied.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, Harlan Cox said:

I emailed MPI over a month back asking politely for an explanation and the reasoning behind this "no man's land" honey. I received an auto reply stating my email had been received and someone would be in touch shortly....

I contacted them myself via email still waiting, tried telephoning but there no one available by phone.

Waiting a month is un acceptable.

3 hours ago, Bee Good said:

I contacted them myself via email still waiting, tried telephoning but there no one available by phone.

Waiting a month is un acceptable.

send the original email again, point out that it was a formal request for information, mention the official information act and that they have taken longer than twenty days to respond. That should get those useless bureaucrats jumping

• Good Info 1