Heal the human body using propolis

JasonK

Hey beekeepers! 

I collected my propolis from my first ever hives this year, using scraped honey boxes and propolis mats, and I keep it in a container in the freezer. Originally I had the intention of using it to make some tincture, but after struggling to figure out how to distill the alcohol out of the tincture I sort of let it go for a while.. then I made a salve from propolis infused olive oil and beeswax and it has been amazing to my skin. I use it as a facial moisturiser daily helps with my dermatitis and also great after shower and shaving etc. 

the other week I began taking a pinch of raw propolis from the freezer and popping into my morning green smoothie. I have subsequently read in a book called health from the hive that propolis is fine to consume this way, and it contains serious antibacterial power, cleanses bloodstream, fights flu, overcomes virus infections, treats gastrointestinal disorders, and heals skin. There are also some ‘folk remedy’ uses for it.

I am reasonably keen to combine it with other healing / activating / complimenting ingredients to self treat my UC (colitis), and dermatitis. 

Healthy stuff, get it in ya!

I have mentioned before that it is not that uncommon for beekeepers to become seriously allergic to propolis. For this reason I generally avoid it myself. For those who are allergic  it can literally eat a hole in your skin and even the dust is very uncomfortable. My wife swears by it for sore throats et cetera. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying beekeeper should be cautious about their exposure levels. It's definitely powerful staff

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Its a very strong allergen. If you are not allergic to it it is also a natural broadband antibiotic. That means you can use it for a lot of smaller things and it does work wonders sometimes.

making a tincture is a very easy method of making it useable. A couple of drops of it onto a spoon of honey is a good treatment for a sore throat.

applying the tincture with a cotton stick onto small wounds/pimples etc also does work wonders.

what i did recently when i had cuts which had gotten infected (due to me not washing them immediately) is just take a small piece of raw propolis/wax, and press it onto the spot. then put a plaster over it to hold it in place... usually in the evening the infection was gone... However thats a very strong treatment. I am not saying anybody else should do it that way.

What i absoluteley love is my propolis vaporizer (propolair) during wintertime. Very expensive but absoluteley worth it... doing an inhalation when i am getting a cough also works wonders. (it does smell like when you open a healthy hive... just wonderful) 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Propolis burns my left palm where the frame lug sits as I scrape the end bars down all day every day. The skin ends up with a propy layer that's very difficult to wash off, it becomes itchy and the skin just flakes off. 

Theres no doubt propolis has serious grunt. 

29 minutes ago, Alastair said:

How do you vape propolis? Could you spot it on a oven ring?

As far as i know (from reading the description about the Propolair device) the temperature is very important, too hot and the good ingredients would be destroyed, too cold and no vaporization. I dont remember all the details but i think something about 80°C were mentioned...

So trying this yourself would probably involve a lot of fiddling...

https://kontak.it/modello-propoltherapy => im not sure if the link is allowed here... its not advertisment as obviously you will not get it in new zealand anyways.

I am still not 100 % sure if it does work, that means i dont know any scientific proof. what i definately know is that it smells absolutely awesome and i did not have any cough the last winter when i used it. (and all the winters before that i did!).

• Good Info 1

57 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Propolis burns my left palm where the frame lug sits as I scrape the end bars down all day every day. The skin ends up with a propy layer that's very difficult to wash off, it becomes itchy and the skin just flakes off. 

Theres no doubt propolis has serious grunt. 

To me thats a strong indicator that you are just allergic to it...

Why dont you use gloves? (if the leather ones are too thick/uncomfortable maybe just rubber/vinyl ones?)

I dont like wearing sweaty nitrile gloves and the leather gloves.... well I may as well beekeep with my feet for all that you can feel with those things on.. 

im not complaining about it just pointing out my experience with propolis. 

8 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Thanks Christi, did wonder if hi temps might destroy the vital ingredients.

Don't really want to buy something like that but I might try a gentle knife spot or something just see how it goes.

Just inhaling the air from a healthy beehive might help too.

(That is actually done as a "treatment" for certain diseases in Germany... but there used to be a couple of legal obstacles)

Just a general image from google to give you an idea (no i am not the guy and not related to him)

Christine-Stadler-Inhalationstherapie-.j

should be pretty easy to come up with something...

10 hours ago, john berry said:

I have mentioned before that it is not that uncommon for beekeepers to become seriously allergic to propolis. For this reason I generally avoid it myself. For those who are allergic  it can literally eat a hole in your skin and even the dust is very uncomfortable. My wife swears by it for sore throats et cetera. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying beekeeper should be cautious about their exposure levels. It's definitely powerful staff

I know two commercial  beeks who had to give it up because of propolis allergies.

They both got into bees in their teens and 10 yrs later had to give it up .

One has got back into it in his late 50s and it is ok , his skin has weathered and leathered over the years and is much tougher.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1