Moisture: 15%
Total Pollen Count:            182,500/10 grams honey

Pollen Type    %        Total       
Rata or Pohutakawa (similar)            46%       
Brassica            24%      
Mahoe            14%       
Assorted unknown            16%       

this is pretty much what i expected.

the brassica is not mustard . it must have been all my brocolli and cabbage i let flower.  and i have hedge mustard which may have different pollen.

next season i am going to collect flowering stuff from here and take to jess and see if we can narrow down the unknown and increase her pollen library.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Is rata a low pollen producer ?

The total pollens are low which is why I'm asking .

walsh   "nectar and pollen"    says it not a heavy producer.

the total adds up to 100%

how do you mean total pollens are low

24 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Is rata a low pollen producer ?

The total pollens are low which is why I'm asking .

do you mean if rata is a low pollen producer the percentage rata in the pollen count will not be accurately reflect whats in the honey.

the honey is very liquid and clear pale yellow and shows no sign of granulating yet.

Our honey often has beech dew in it which has no pollen so if our total pollens where like yours we would assume there was beech dew in it.

Rewarewa is a plant that has low pollens also.

when someone does a pollen analysis they will allow for the low pollens of Rewarewa or whatever the low pollen plant  is so the percentage is correct.

Do you have beech trees in your area ?

3 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Our honey often has beech dew in it which has no pollen so if our total pollens where like yours we would assume there was beech dew in it.

Rewarewa is a plant that has low pollens also.

when someone does a pollen analysis they will allow for the low pollens of Rewarewa or whatever the low pollen plant  is so the percentage is correct.

Do you have beech trees in your area ?

Yes we have hard beech but no black beech .

I have seen wasps on a few trees with honey dew but it is not common on the trees here .

The honey I got tested all came off in feb from undrawn foundation I put on in mid December .

I finally remembered my jar of rata honey from kaihoka the other day and tried some. There is definitely no taste of honeydew and also no  granulation. It's also quite a dense honey and probably fairly low in moisture but I don't have a hydrometer. It's very clear and pale but does have a distinct but very pleasant flavour. Next time I try it I intend to have some  Double cream camembert to go with it. This will I predict be a marriage made in heaven.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

I'm sure you have acres of rata around you and acres of mahoe and other, but just how big is this cabbage patch.

Just out of curiosity it seems to make up a significant amount of pollen compared to others.

I just have it in the garden and other wild areas .

Any bare dirt I throw seeds around., Brasica , phacelia echium etc.

It was flowering with the rata and the bees go nuts for Brasica.

I did not blend my honey , frame by frame extraction .

21 minutes ago, john berry said:

I finally remembered my jar of rata honey from kaihoka the other day and tried some. There is definitely no taste of honeydew and also no  granulation. It's also quite a dense honey and probably fairly low in moisture but I don't have a hydrometer. It's very clear and pale but does have a distinct but very pleasant flavour. Next time I try it I intend to have some  Double cream camembert to go with it. This will I predict be a marriage made in heaven.

It's weird that there is no granulating from a high rata honey .

It must be the unknown stopping it .

Does mahoe granulate.

The moisture is 15  % is that low .?

3 hours ago, Cyathea said:

I wish we did pollen tests on our honey... They are so interesting! 

Yes they are.

There must be someone near you who does it .

The main emphasis these days in pollen tests seems to be how much Manuka is in my honey.

That's what bee keepings all about these days , Manuka and money , but there's so much more .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Yes they are.

There must be someone near you who does it .

The main emphasis these days in pollen tests seems to be how much Manuka is in my honey.

That's what bee keepings all about these days , Manuka and money , but there's so much more .

Out of interest Kaihoka how much is it for 1 pollen test? 

I have 2 jars of Rata from this season .. both sitting up on the shelf in the kitchen. One of them is granulating ever so slightly the other is still as funny as water. 

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Out of interest Kaihoka how much is it for 1 pollen test? 

I have 2 jars of Rata from this season .. both sitting up on the shelf in the kitchen. One of them is granulating ever so slightly the other is still as funny as water. 

I was lucky it was free. She contacted me through the forum.

The person's extended family is in the bee business and she has got interested in this side.  She is getting special training soon.

There is a lot of interest in getting honey pollen  tested.

Is your rata white or pale yellow .?

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

It's not white as snow.. I guess you could say it's pale yellow. Wish I could post pics. 

One jar is still as runny as water. Have it in my bush tea right now. 

Does it look like this 

IMG_20180121_213646-1302x1380-651x690.jpg

Edited by kaihoka
  • Like 2

On 25/04/2018 at 8:35 PM, Stoney said:

It's not white as snow.. I guess you could say it's pale yellow. Wish I could post pics. 

One jar is still as runny as water. Have it in my bush tea right now. 

try doing pics from the cell phone ...... forum ..... upload pics (less than 2mb) .... hey presto.