Lucy Tasker

queen rearing Beetek Ultimate One Piece Queen Cage

Hi Everyone!

If you've received The Beekeeper you should have got our latest catalogue - a few new products in there, amongst those is the new Beetek One Piece Queen Cage! Please see the information below, and here's the link to the product page: www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/beetek-ultimate-one-piece-clear-queen-cage

Feel free to ask any questions you may have :)

image.thumb.png.03e79c913eddd32af846bf158746719a.png

Cerracell have been suppling this type of cage for years, 

they are what we use.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

Hi, @frazzledfozzle a couple more benefits:

• Our new cage has side venting. This isnt to be understated as many queens have been lost or hindered by cage placement that blocks the front and back venting.
  • We have also added a queen excluder to one side of the cage, this is an optional break out bar that allows for the attendants to pass in and out of the cage while the queen is still confined.
  • The clips are improved to mean that if you dont fully close the cage it is less likely to spring open
  • Like 2

The side vents are an excellent addition, it's annoyed me for years they have not been incorporated into the standard cages used by most.

But Lucy, would Beetek be interested in making a truly ultimate introduction cage?

I could give a design which I used to make from wood, probably still have some kicking around, which eliminates all queen loss at introduction, long as the recipient hive is genuinely queenless. 

Based on an original design by Jay Smith, the bees chew the candy and get to an excluder sized section at day two, allowing bees to go and mix with the queen, but another 2 days to get to a part that allows the queen to get out.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

I like the sound of the side vents @Lucy

i also would back @Alastair with his suggestion of the making and selling of the excluder style cage where the queen can begin laying before release into the colony.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1

But are they cheaper... I haven't checked yet.  I also use the similar Ceracell.  And have had some issues with the cage not closing properly, the clips didn't work that well.  

The side vents are a good idea, and I personally don't intend to 'break' the side bars as I like to re-use them later, if wanted.  Could get messy with the bees walking straight out in your pockets!! 

I think I under stand what Alastair means,  a section where only the bees can move in/out of cage for a while before the queen is able to exit some other section? 

Sounds like a good idea.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

i also would back @Alastair with his suggestion of the making and selling of the excluder style cage where the queen can begin laying before release into the colony.

Which is not what you were talking about at all @Alastair :) 

On 16/04/2018 at 3:17 PM, Alastair said:

Based on an original design by Jay Smith, the bees chew the candy and get to an excluder sized section at day two, allowing bees to go and mix with the queen, but another 2 days to get to a part that allows the queen to get out.

Hi @Alastair,

Sorry it look so long to reply - I didn't get a notification! I think that's a similar theory to the added queen excluder on the side of the cage, which has an optional break out bar that allows for the attendants to pass in and out of the cage while the queen is still confined. Or am I mis-understanding?

On 16/04/2018 at 4:45 PM, Lindaloo26 said:

But are they cheaper... I haven't checked yet.  I also use the similar Ceracell.  And have had some issues with the cage not closing properly, the clips didn't work that well.  

The side vents are a good idea, and I personally don't intend to 'break' the side bars as I like to re-use them later, if wanted.  Could get messy with the bees walking straight out in your pockets!! 

I think I under stand what Alastair means,  a section where only the bees can move in/out of cage for a while before the queen is able to exit some other section? 

Sounds like a good idea.  

Hi  @Lindaloo26 , they're currently exactly the same price :)

I think it’s been mentioned before about the cerracell cages not shutting properly at times because the molding goes weird and doesn’t work right do you guys have any sort of quality control or anything before they are dispatched?

im very keen to try them and will be putting an order in very soon 

Similar issues with the moulding on ceracell cages being a bit rough and them not clipping shut. If the quality control is there and they dont have this issue they could be worth a shot. The 'extras' arent really a deal breaker for me as they dont really fit with my practices. 

Side vents great idea
Ive only had one of the Ceracel cages come open in the bucket so always rubber band shut for post.
One issue with the Ceracell cage is the breakout candy cover

It is difficult to remove once the candy is in and door closed
I always break mine out before mailing

40 minutes ago, Philbee said:

One issue with the Ceracell cage is the breakout candy cover

It is difficult to remove once the candy is in and door closed
I always break mine out before mailing

I wonder if you are talking about a different cage @Philbee?

the ones we use from ceracell are very easy to flick the tab off with a hive tool.

the ecrotek cages with the sliding lid are more difficult  because the plastic is very hard. 

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I wonder if you are talking about a different cage @Philbee?

the ones we use from ceracell are very easy to flick the tab off with a hive tool.

the ecrotek cages with the sliding lid are more difficult  because the plastic is very hard. 

I find that the lid of the Candy compartment breaks off more easily if pushed in ways and once the lid is closed, access to the inside edge of the tab is restricted
So I go through and press the tab on the corner edge of the table, snapping all the tabs before I use them.

This also prevents people from putting the cage in a hive without removing the Tab.
When using the cages in my own hives this is one less thing to worry about because of all the wallies out there likely to for get to remove the tabs, Id be at the top of the list

Many years ago the guys I worked for sent queens to Canada in those cages, or a very similar version, when they first came out. And weird as it may sound the Canadians could not figure out how to work the cages and ended up breaking the cages apart and direct releasing the queens into the package bees.

• Haha 1

On 1/06/2018 at 4:53 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

I think it’s been mentioned before about the cerracell cages not shutting properly at times because the molding goes weird and doesn’t work right do you guys have any sort of quality control or anything before they are dispatched?

im very keen to try them and will be putting an order in very soon 

Hey @frazzledfozzle

Quality control is implemented both during production and when stock is received. We do check for defects and molding errors of stock. Testing is done of a representative sample for every batch.