john berry

GIA survey results

I was just looking through the latest beekeeper at the GIA survey results. Interesting reading and I can perhaps believe that on average beekeepers were prepared to pay $2.52 per hive on average but I find it incredibly hard to believe that packers and processes would be prepared to pay $2.60 per kilogram. $2.60 per ton I could believe.
If it's not a misprint and I hope it is then the cost per hive and let's face it it's the beekeeper who will end up paying all the levy one way or another, would for those of us who still managed to produce a little bit of honey bee up around $100 a hive.
A levy of $2.60 per kilogram would be over 50% of what a lot of overseas honey is selling for and over 25% of what a lot of honey is selling for a New Zealand.
Someone please tell me that this is not real.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I was just looking through the latest beekeeper at the GIA survey results. Interesting reading and I can perhaps believe that on average beekeepers were prepared to pay $2.52 per hive on average but I find it incredibly hard to believe that packers and processes would be prepared to pay $2.60 per kilogram. $2.60 per ton I could believe.
If it's not a misprint and I hope it is then the cost per hive and let's face it it's the beekeeper who will end up paying all the levy one way or another, would for those of us who still managed to produce a little bit of honey bee up around $100 a hive.
A levy of $2.60 per kilogram would be over 50% of what a lot of overseas honey is selling for and over 25% of what a lot of honey is selling for a New Zealand.
Someone please tell me that this is not real.

packers and processors were a tiny proportion of respondents - they've given them a 1% slice for each of domestic and export, but i bet it would round to zero. All it takes is one marketer responding on behalf who is innumerate and entered $1000 a kg or something and sample size does everything. I would request a breakdown of responses from that particular sector, and follow-up to confirm they meant kg not tonne @Dennis Crowley might be able to help by asking for the breakdown? depends on whether the responses were anonymised though. No error bars on those graphs means someone who doesn't understand maths/stats did the analysis, hope it was for free rather than a trough feed by an incompetent

Edited by tommy dave

It's got to be a typing error. I just hope nobody takes it seriously, especially a government accountant.

25 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

$2.52 per hive is about $1.50 too much as well

$1.02 would be $1.02 too much as well as far as I'm concerned. I did the survey but there was no option for zero dollars and there should have been.

• Like 1

I have just studied a much more in-depth analysis of the survey and unreservedly apologise for accusing somebody of a typing error. I am not a statistician but you don't have to be to see that the figures given have no reality at all. Nine packers responded at least three of which suggested zero dollars was correct amount with a top of eight dollars per kilo to get our wonderful average of $2.60. It's a nonsense number and should have been treated as such and only such bits of the survey that were statistically supportable should have been used.

• Agree 5

22 minutes ago, john berry said:

I have just studied a much more in-depth analysis of the survey and unreservedly apologise for accusing somebody of a typing error. I am not a statistician but you don't have to be to see that the figures given have no reality at all. Nine packers responded at least three of which suggested zero dollars was correct amount with a top of eight dollars per kilo to get our wonderful average of $2.60. It's a nonsense number and should have been treated as such and only such bits of the survey that were statistically supportable should have been used.

Agree @john berry The report and the statistics are a crock of manure. However, they are what ApiiNZ has, so they can rightly argue that they polled the industry and that is what they came up with.  Talk about the Titanic Captain saying there are no Icebergs so lets see how fast she can go.

• Like 1

Gotta wonder if the $8 bid was a typo......or what they expect to pay the producer for product........words like incompetence, mismanagement, bad practice, pursuing their own agenda etc etc .....oh and then there is corrupt..........come to mind easily....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A rough estimate based on New Zealand's average honey production gives a figure of over $50 million based on $2.60 a kilo . Might even be worth it was used to stop incursions in the first place but any money raised through a compulsory levy will be used for cleaning up after the fan has already done its work. I am openly and vocally opposed to signing the GIA but even if I was in full support I would like to think I would still call people out on this sort of nonsense.
Apparently 75% of us are in favour of GIA so how about some support for the survey so we can have a balanced view.

It has to be a typo there’s no way it’s $2.50 a kg more likely 2.5 cents

If the survey is as badly done as it seems then the people who have instigated and compiled need to be taken to task urgently! Mismanagement and/or manipulation at this level should be publicised in hope of putting and end to it. There must still be investigative type journo's who would take up this sort of thing. The small and ordinary folk need to speak up!

Been in this game along time as many .. while cash flow seems better than 20 years ago ? Maybe.. anymore hits to honey prices /compliance cost my crystal ball says there will be alot of empty rotting beehives all over the country..

• Agree 2

Oh brother.

?‍♀️

Ive been looking at the GIA survey results in the beekeeper magazine and if I read it right 72% of the people who responded saying they wanted a GIA and that ApiNZ should be the one to represent beekeepers were beekeepers with less than 23 hives.

Presumably they are also the ones that are OK with a levy of $2.52 a hive as well ?

im thinking I must have read the pie graphs wrong ?

Apinz have said that this survey shows strong support for GIA and that their next step will be to work on the application.

this can’t be true surely?

would they really be able to claim a mandate with these numbers? 

Im more than happy to be put right it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve got the wrong end of a pie graph :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

Yes.

That is exactly what I pointed out a couple of weeks ago.

Amazing that Apiinz can cay they have overwhelming support. 

Off we go to hell in a hand cart.

• Like 2

without wanting to stir up hobbyists...  I would suggest 23 hives or less beekeepers find themselves too small for commercial extraction and too big for home consumption so most likely are selling/ trading home extracted honey... 

and this is the group as far as I can make out calling the shots with this survey. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by Stoney
  • Agree 3

Don't look at me, I ignored the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Think you are about right @Stoney. The ongoing changes in extraction requirements are a farce, and when the first changes started, the small commercials thought it was to their benefit, but now just about everyone is over a barrel to the large extraction plants - for a relatively low risk food. The rising level of AFB with all the too big too fast beeks, both hobby and commercial, means that the risk of cross contamination at the extraction plants will increase with time, even with the best of practice. NZ Beekeepers Inc are focused purely on the beekeepers, whereas Apiculture NZ has given equal power to the middlemen, with a hobby rep with a casting vote - and from a hobbyist point of view, is missing in action.  

• Agree 2

Do what can we do about this, we can’t just sit back and watch it happen we will have to do something?

Edited by frazzledfozzle

the $2.50kg the packers say they are willing to pay is also a very big problem.

we all know that whatever amount of money the packers pay will indirectly be paid by the beekeepers because it will be built into the price paid for our honey so we will be paying twice.

The packers are creaming it right now with the drop in prices they are offering this year and no drop in prices on the shelf.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I would suggest 23 hives or less beekeepers find themselves too small for commercial extraction and too big for home consumption so most likely are selling/ trading home extracted honey...

Agree. i haven't sold any honey yet, but i've received well over 50 requests to buy my honey ranging from $10-$20 a kg. I imagine i'm in the minority in not taking this up. I do give away quite a bit of honey to family and friends. Didn't respond to the survey though

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Don't look at me, I ignored the whole thing.

I didn't ignore the survey, I had a look but it seemed very slanted to me and I didn't do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Janice said:

I didn't ignore the survey, I had a look but it seemed very slanted to me and I didn't do it.

Yes I would say that’s the reason participation was limited

• Agree 1

I was forewarded a copy of an email from nz beekeepers today , after reading it I have decided to fill out a subscription form to join them ,

Maybe someone out there with a whole lot more computer smarts than me who has that email could post it to this thread  so everyone on the list could read it and then make 

comments on whether these guys might be better to represent the real beekeepers

• Like 1

14 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The packers are creaming it right now with the drop in prices they are offering this year and no drop in prices on the shelf.

Yes that may also not be a bad thing. Cashes them up so more money to invest in their business and spend on future honey. Plus it will get their bank manager happy and allow for more credit in the future. Everyone needs to have a turn so we can all thrive longterm

• Agree 2