Hi all. Jyst recived the latest "the beekeeper" in it is a beequip nz pamflet. Page 3 says that honey boxes must be branded "permanently" marked. Apparently its the law from 11 dec 2018. 

Can anyone else comfirm this is true please. I have not heard any new of this nor recived any thing from mpi

Thoughts pls

Cheers

1523765551876731508502.jpg

true. Your interpretation of 'permanent' is yours.  A permanent marker could suffice.  I need to do a bunch of marking-  though I am not going to brand my boxes- too big a job.  I think there has  been some discussion  on here about it.  Search the forum.  I wonder how MPI will audit this? Will they check your stored boxes or be there on the day to check??  This could lead into another set of rules around "safe storage" of boxes.... 

• Thanks 1

Wouldent it be better to mark the frames?.

Whats mpi focus here?

frames will be the next to mark,

has any one used or know any one using the small mico chips bored into a hole in the suppers ?

These are some of the questions we asked MPI on behalf of our clients, their answers are in bold. We are in the trace-ability space. 

Our Question : 4.1.1a  Is there a definition around permanent mark? Are identification plates permanently fixed acceptable. FYI Boxes are regularly dipped in paraffin waxed / painted / weathered rendering paint / vivid's least than permanent.  Does this require routering id into wooden boxes?

There is no legal definition of permanent in the GREX, the requirement is outcome focussed:

MPI guide page 12 - The purpose of this requirement is to facilitate the identification of boxes at extraction facilities, especially where extraction facilities extract bee products for multiple beekeepers. As such, the code does not have to be unique for each box as this is about differentiating honey boxes owned

Our Question : 

4.1.1a Is there any guidance around "a different code which achieves equivalent or better identification? Does this code require to by legible to the layman? i.e. barcodes / rfid tags can have codes that require readers to read but information is unique and coded by owner.

MPI's Answer

See the answer above – rfid and barcodes should be acceptable so long as they achieved identification of boxes at extraction facilities.

MPI guide page 12 - It is up to the beekeeper to devise a unique identification code for each of their sites (e.g. this could be a number, letter or name).

Edited by IainAP
Clarification of what was MPI's input.

You would think MPI would have a pet beekeeper they could get to go over their answers before they once again confused matters.
As far as I know and as far as I can tell. You have to have some sort of permanent identity Mark on each of your honey boxes. This mark can be your identification number or practically anything else that you can prove is your mark. All boxes can be marked the same regardless of which of your apiarys they are on.
I am so over MPI statements that either don't make any sense at all or could be interpreted several different ways and often are even by their own staff. This particular one is another case of  MPI's interpretation of the law changing not the law itself being changed. I don't question their right to do that, I just wish they would announce their new policies with clear precise instructions on how to implement them instead of leaving everybody guessing what the hell they mean.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Does a hobbyist who does their own extraction have to fill up their brain with this stuff too.

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Does a hobbyist who does their own extraction have to fill up their brain with this stuff too.

Only if they are using an extraction plant that also exports honey overseas.

• Thanks 1

Our interpretation from asking questions of MPI are that only boxes that have honey in them that is destined for export need to be marked as this law is a requirement of the General Export Requirement for Bee Products (GREX) if no export then no need to mark boxes, see below ....

Our Question.

4.1.1a Do these requirement  only apply to beekeepers who wish to export honey through the packed honey channels. If only domestic market or pollination is there no requirement to mark boxes? (What happens in the situation where you have a mix of domestic and export, do you only have to market the supers that will be extracted if they could potentially contain high value exportable crops? (Contract extractors will have a mix of marked and unmarked boxes lying around sheds.)

MPI's Answer: 

See GREX section 1.1 Application - The GREX applies to all bee products intended for export, and all beekeepers supplying bee products for export.

Therefore any honey boxes used to collect honey for export must be marked. Pollination and domestic production is excluded. Beekeepers can therefore choose whether to mark all their boxes, or to only mark those which will be used to collect honey for export.

I can understand marking your boxes for identification purpose's but making it law to brand them seems pointless.

there's more than one way to put the same number on a super.

Do I get a free  pre approved branding iron from MPI. Not likely

Branding in my mind doesn’t mean only an iron it can be anything that is not going to “come off” while in the extraction shed.

I agree, i would have thought my painted stencil of rego, would be plenty durable enough and easily readable.

Next thing i'm going to here is extracter's wont except supers unless there branded, when my rego is plain to see on supers.

Its just inconvienent and un-nessacary

• Spoon 1

It seems I 've jumped ahead of my self, just rego diplayed, dos'nt need to be specificcly brand ironed.

whew!

• Agree 1

Fortunately all my boxes are already branded but paint or permanent markers will I think also be acceptable. It just another piece of bureaucratic bumf which most of us will have to endure but the ones they are after will ignore. Net gain for honey quality zero net gain for traceability 0×1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2