jamesc

The Department of Conservation.

I suggest Otira Pub, and I can come and take the minutes

• Haha 6

James I don't get this court case at all.

Despite the red tape and bureacracy we have to live with now, if the landowner gave you permission to put hives inside his fenced land and you did that, but the land turned out to be fenced wrong but actually belonged to DOC, I am sure that a phone call to the right person at DOC would have sorted it if you pleaded ignorance and offered to remove the hives.

Unless there is something I'm missing I cannot see why they would waste not just yours, but their own time, in persuing a court case.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

It's all a little bizarre, not to mention a waste of peoples time and money ....  unless of course DOC are testing the waters because we are undoubtably not the only ones  'boundary riding'. Or they are desperate for revenue ? 

2 hours ago, Merk said:

Three years ago was the last time I had your hives boundary riding mine at whakaangiangi so I guess that's where I formed my opinion

are your hives all on the east coast. eg north of gissy 

1 minute ago, nab said:

are your hives all on the east coast. eg north of gissy 

Gisborne based, but all over the place depending on the time of year. 

do you come into northern hawks bay 

2 minutes ago, nab said:

do you come into northern hawks bay 

No further than wairoa 

does nuhaka general store mean anything to you. 

Yep @nab my family's from nuhaka and wairoa so I'm well familiar with it. Went to school with one of the Christie boys. I don't have any hives in or around nuhaka myself though, I've always felt that it was Te Kapu's rohe

ohh thats right how rude of me. 

30 minutes ago, nab said:

ohh thats right how rude of me. 

LOL. Doubt he will remember me but I knew him around 35 years ago when I was in Gizzy myself. He was a woolly headed kid with a handful of hives, wanted to go commercial but I didn't offer him any advice cos I thought he wouldn't make it. Later I found my judgement was wrong.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

It's all a little bizarre, not to mention a waste of peoples time and money ....  unless of course DOC are testing the waters because we are undoubtably not the only ones  'boundary riding'. Or they are desperate for revenue ? 

Is this court case ongoing? 

15 hours ago, Bighands said:

Now who in their right mind would post an apology on this forum.It just shows the integrity of the person offering the apology.This guy knows my phone number and my email address but instead of using the usual way of communication he has to resort to the forum.Is he scared or what?

Roy I'm going to merge this with your old account as you cannot have 2.

10 hours ago, Grant said:

Is this court case ongoing? 

ongoing ..... the justice system is a drawn out process.

And you've had no advice from your legal team about discussing it or any potential settlements in public ? ?

it's the public domain ..... life is very transparent ..... and if we all have to hide under mushrooms the future looks grim

• Like 2

Halle bldy llujah.

Last week i was due in court in Greymouth to front up for the case "DOC  v's Gowanlea in the case about bees pirating the DOC estate.

On the Thursday before the Main Man and I were rattling up a bumpy track in the not so back of beyond wondering that the court case must be due soon.  Brothers, you need to watch your thoughts, because no sooner had we initiated  that thought .... the phone rang. It was the lawman.

Now the lawman has been paid a humungous amount of dough in this case, so good on him for being on the ball. He had been talking with DOC.

To be honest, at this time of year I have more important things to think about  than sorting a problem from nearly twelve months ago. But with The Big Dollars come responsiblity.

So the Lawman started talking diversion again. A diversion is limp wristed handshake where both parties agree that neither is right but something needs to happen.

This time the diversion offered was that  DOC acknowledge that we had placed bees 'Unknowingly' on DOC land ..... and pay them $1000 to their legal costs, plus another grand to a mutually agreed charity.

This is a busy time of year. I just got back from  a mission on the coast. The work time log book was  way over due hours  to go back over ..... so we agreed to the diversion. Done and dusted. FMG, bless their hearts, picked up the TAB for our indiscretions.

The lawman rang me again later in the day. Sometimes the legal system works very swiftly. DOC had agreed  to acknowledging that we had placed bees on their land unknowingly. But they suggested that we split the charitable  reparation 50/50 .... with the charity of choice and the Bee Keeper who had complained.

Now that really got my back up. The disaffected Bee Man wanted compensation for lost time, legal expenses and lost crop of four days . DOC said he is a man of repute and standing and they did'nt want to rile him.

Brothers, we live in a democratic country that likes to lead the world in issues of human rights ....... but this smacks of bribery and corruption akin to what is found in a third world country such as Moolangasete.

My reply to the Lawman was to tell DOC to  take a spoonfull of 1080.

And my reply to the disaffected Beeman is to have more communication with the landowners where you place you bees so that they know what is going on ..... and if you have a gripe ..... PAY THE LEGAL BILL YOURSELF.

The matter is sorted. DOC get a contribution to their legal costs.The Kiwi Recocovery Trust gets 100% of our reparation ..... and we move on ,placing bees where we think we might make a dollar ...... with the blessing on the landowner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jamesc is there a standard fine for knowingly putting your hives on doc land without a concession.

I sometimes put a nuc on doc land up the powerlines  track a few klms  to get it away if it is getting robbed at home .

Recently my neighbor got caught whitebaiting too close to a culvert and the new Doc area boss said he was going to make an example of him and fine him $5000.

Is this a policy  and attitude change  in Doc .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc is there a standard fine for knowingly putting your hives on doc land without a concession.

I sometimes put a nuc on doc land up the powerlines  track a few klms  to get it away if it is getting robbed at home .

Recently my neighbor got caught whitebaiting too close to a culvert and the new Doc area boss said he was going to make an example of him and fine him $5000.

Is this a policy  and attitude change  in Doc .

Hah .... the fine for our offence was $300,000 ..... or life imprisonment .....we is up there with the Bad Boys.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

The attitude of the masses to whitebaiting is changing. And rules are rules.

I am thinking that whitebait is overrated as a food.  If we were a concerned nation of conservationists we would take a holiday from catching the little critters , pop down to our local macca's , and let them have a life.

• Agree 6

58 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The attitude of the masses to whitebaiting is changing. And rules are rules.

True , but its a shock when they start enforcing them .

I am not a whitebaiter . I think they should ban commercial fishing except in south westland .

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Hah .... the fine for our offence was $300,000 ..... or life imprisonment .....we is up there with the Bad Boys.

I wonder if they would fine me $300,000.

I will ask them .

• Haha 1