jamesc

The Department of Conservation.

Cost of strips $13.10 per hive not including freight .

we coincide strips in and out with other work so no special trips. 

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc I have been looking out for some pure rata honey on the shelves but have not seen any yet.

I want a jar  as a starter to cream my honey .

Do I have to go down the coast to buy it . I used to see it on the shelves .

You could always send that motorcycle courier YesButt for a ride and grab a pot from our samples shelf.

Getting a decent price for honey has been wonderful (except for the overstocking). Being able to afford decent vehicles and not having to worry about how you're going to pay for sugar to keep your hives alive in a bad spring makes a nice change. I am an optimist when it comes to beekeeping but a pessimist when it comes to honey prices and I have found that in the long-term it pays to stick with one buyer even if you get a little bit less some years. This year I got the same price as last year which was the best I've ever had so I can't complain. When times get hard or there is a surplus of honey most of the established packers look after their regular suppliers especially if they are a producer packer because they have much more reason to keep the price up than a marketing company. With last years poor crop and this year is not being flash in a lot of places I can't see there being a huge surplus so people could hold onto it for a while and hope it goes up rather than selling cheap and bringing everybody else down. I've seen people make a lot of money by waiting till prices go up but then I have seen the opposite as well. As for keeping staff employed in winter that never used to be a problem. First of all you only ever had a holiday in winter and the rest of the time was spent making boxes and frames (from scratch) wax pressing and any other maintenance jobs that were going. You certainly couldn't afford to pay a tradesman to do something if you could do it yourself

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bee Good said:

Hi James, I have locked horns with DoC formely in the past and my experience has been that the battles can be won, but they will almost certainly be gunning for you in the future.

Please do not start something that my effect beeks with hives in the vicinity of DoC reserves ( there's plenty of them ).

Just do the diversion and get on with life.

As I said i dont doubt you can win this battle.

But you will lose the war.  Good luck either way

I hear you Bee Good. But as Ted says, it's the principle of the matter.  DOC need to learn to get with the program.  If they want to follow the law to the letter then they need to make sure that their boundary fences are in the correct place. They also need to enforce the section that  stipulates beehives should be placed not less than 80m ( I think, without trawling back through the concessions contract) from the boundary.

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

ive heard on the grapevine from more than one person that Comvita is telling it’s partners that they will pay $7 kg for non mono Manuka and they have to sell it to them for that price.

gotta wonder how that’s going to impact more than few companies.

I have to say...  your grapevine must have received a serious pruning? 

Certainly sounds like bull pucky flavoured grapes anyway 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Sour grape vine?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

You could always send that motorcycle courier YesButt for a ride and grab a pot from our samples shelf.

I do not think he would get out of bed for rata honey , let alone go on a bike ride . :6_smile:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I do not think he would get out of bed for rata honey , let alone go on a bike ride . :6_smile:

It's not the destination. it's the journey !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Yeah it’s one of those things you hear and say nah that can’t be right but then hearing it from another two people you start to think maybe it is right.

i have no idea how these things work so don’t know if there’s any truth in it or not.

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I go riding my bike/s for a lot less than a pottle of foul honey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I go riding my bike/s for a lot less than a pottle of foul honey

:IMG_0381:

50 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I love rata honey it’s my favourite 

In theory there should be a lot of it about for sale soon.

I love bug wee honey maybe it's just that we don't have any dew sites and don't want to join the crowds. My distaste for honey is great entertainment to anyone that spends any time with us.

Wife needs a fast ride to hospital if she gets just one sting. I don't like honey unless it's of the end the hive tool.

14 hours ago, jamesc said:

I hear you Bee Good. But as Ted says, it's the principle of the matter.  DOC need to learn to get with the program.  If they want to follow the law to the letter then they need to make sure that their boundary fences are in the correct place. They also need to enforce the section that  stipulates beehives should be placed not less than 80m ( I think, without trawling back through the concessions contract) from the boundary.

I understand your point of view fully and have been through the same myself on more than one occassion.

Your about to grab the tigers tale and this particular tiger has the memory of an elephant. 

Think about the long game. As long as you never have deal with doc inthe future and are not dependent on the resources that public land provides, then yes grab the tigers tale.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 10:55 AM, Philbee said:

My inside source has confirmed that my decision not to sell any Honey this season and focus on expanding numbers was a reasonable one.
These people predict a huge shortage of Honey going forward but overall the bigger players including the regulators want to see a thinning out of the industry in the meantime.

So .... Kimosabhe .... predictions for next year  ? If you made bees this year, then possibly next spring the market will be flooded with your nucs, I guess that price may firm, which leaves me scratching my head as to what to do with all my empty nuc boxes sitting in the shed ..... 

A while ago a friend gave us a book called "The Beehive Bible".  Today being Sunday ,I am reading it.  The uses for honey and wax are endless ....perhaps we open a health spa and offer lemon and honey face masks, Brazillian waxing followed by a boozy night  on the Mead in the soft glow of beeswax candles and then offer the hangover remedy in the morning.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 3

I am aiming to extract package and direct sell all of my honey next year, that way if I get another year of low yield I can make the books ballence...

1 hour ago, Kiwifruiter said:

that way if I get another year of low yield I can make the books ballence

And end up with NO spare time ?

6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

And end up with NO spare time ?

Sleep is for the weak. Plus its not like im talking 10000 hives (yet)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

as to what to do with all my empty nuc boxes sitting in the shed ..

the 5 frame ones could be marketed as 'unique' foot stoles, outdoor seating, pot planter, storage bin... 

34 minutes ago, Kiwifruiter said:

Sleep is for the weak. Plus its not like im talking 10000 hives (yet)

Sleep in not for the weak.  You can live without too much for a while then the lack of will affect most. 

Wouldn't it cost some to set up selling your own?  There's a lot trying that game on trademe. 

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

flooded with your nucs,

No way, I wont be going out of my way to sell any Nucs

2 hours ago, Kiwifruiter said:

I am aiming to extract package and direct sell all of my honey next year, that way if I get another year of low yield I can make the books ballence...

This is definitely one possibility for the domestic market going forward and just may become the normal way kiwi's get their breakfast Honey

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Philbee said:

This is definitely one possibility for the domestic market going forward and just may become the normal way kiwi's get their breakfast Honey

It makes life a little easier when you already have a stall at the local farmers maket lol

• Like 1

It makes it a little easier if you don't put a price on your time as well. 

Would take the sale of a fair few jars to cover the costs of running hives, equiptment, vehicles, extraction, packing, testing, labelling, red tape, storage, fees, transporting, insurance, to name a few... oh and labour for all of the above. 

Jeez someone remind me why I do it please

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2