jamesc

The Department of Conservation.

I've seen the placement of @jamesc's hives on the east coast, and while this latest episode is on the west coast I must say, karma is a bee arch my old friend.

I hope the prosecution is successful. 

• Haha 1

Someone should start a givealittle page to help out. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Merk said:

Someone should start a givealittle page to help out. 

Yep .... I think DOC are gonna need a givelittlepage this year after all those Pig Islander bee operations failed to turn a profit and the Gvt gonna have to raise cash from somewhere to keep things ticking along.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Merk said:

I've seen the placement of @jamesc's hives on the east coast, and while this latest episode is on the west coast I must say, karma is a bee arch my old friend.

I hope the prosecution is successful. 

Nice sites ....eh !

Like  I said at the start, this is a sensitive  subject ..... but ... sometimes it's good to share trade secrets.

After a few phone calls rallying the troops DOC came back and offered us a diversion. Now, I am no criminal and the workings of the law is a totally new experience for me, but a diversion is what is offered when a crime of misdemeanor is commited. So the penalty is a request for a written apology, a fine equivelant to the concession fee plus a contribution to a conservation project of my choice. Nice. I have a little conservation project gong on the farm.

But, I read between the lines. DOC screwed up and are too proud to back down. The diversion settles the matter nicely with no court appearance, no conviction and no publicity, but, and this is the important part, ish . It's not the truth and makes a sham of the judicial system.

Todays horoscope tells me not to take the easy road offered. The diversion is the easy road.

The case continues....

• Like 8

Nah ... just ignorant. Any way , why are'nt yousnoozing ? it's after the witching hour.

Edited by jamesc

Aaah .... I is talking to Dr Speight and getting my ears pounded with country music. 

Just now, frazzledfozzle said:

Haaa sounds like a great way to relax 

Uh huh ... sometimes a  bloke needs a litttle bit of ME  time.

Even the dog dont like the music and has gone to bed

Edited by jamesc

I think a lot of it is worry Frazz. We work all hours of the day and the night in the season to make a crop to pay the bills and provide the food cheque for the guys who we employ to toil away and make it all happen ..... to produce a product that no one seems too enthused about. And it's not that we can just walk away from it and say "adios" and do something different. Bees are livestock and need tending to, win or lose.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

Todays horoscope tells me not to take the easy road offered. The diversion is the easy road.

The case continues....

You will really have to suck it up and and ride down that easy road on the moral high ground.

They will owe you a favour you can call in later .

It's what @Philbee calls leverage .

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

I think a lot of it is worry Frazz. We work all hours of the day and the night in the season to make a crop to pay the bills and provide the food cheque for the guys who we employ to toil away and make it all happen ..... to produce a product that no one seems too enthused about. And it's not that we can just walk away from it and say "adios" and do something different. Bees are livestock and need tending to, win or lose.

You aren’t the only one sitting at home listening to some tunes and tossing back some alcohol it’s going to be happening all around NZ right now I think we all knew this day would come but it doesn’t make it any easier.

what surprises me the most is not only the low prices for non Manuka or even multi Manuka but the lack of interest in purchasing it at all. Even good Manuka is being low balled right now.

is there more to it than just the Manuka standard I think maybe there is.

we are just going to have to hunker down and do what we need to do to get by because a lot of people will be leaving the industry which will open up space for the rest of us as well as limiting the supply of honey for sale which will be a good thing.

the biggest problem for those wanting out is what to do with the beehives there will be a huge amount of bees on the market come spring it’s not looking pretty.

dairy, kiwi fruit, apples, berries, lamb, beef, pork poultry, and a myriad of others go through these swings and roundabouts frequently we just have to tighten up hold on and be there when the tide turns back in our favour again :) 

we both have done the $3-$4 honey so we know how to make it work at that level it’s just that we have been spoilt by the boom and have got used to the good prices.

Beekeeping is such hard yakka and the season is so intense but it’s easier to cope with when prices are high.

we’ll be right us South Islanders are pretty resilient!

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Hmmmm ..... That's what I was looking for ....words of wisdom. I never thought of it that way.

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

You aren’t the only one sitting at home listening to some tunes and tossing back some alcohol it’s going to be happening all around NZ right now I think we all knew this day would come but it doesn’t make it any easier.

what surprises me the most is not only the low prices for non Manuka or even multi Manuka but the lack of interest in purchasing it at all. Even good Manuka is being low balled right now.

is there more to it than just the Manuka standard I think maybe there is.

we are just going to have to hunker down and do what we need to do to get by because a lot of people will be leaving the industry which will open up space for the rest of us as well as limiting the supply of honey for sale which will be a good thing.

the biggest problem for those wanting out is what to do with the beehives there will be a huge amount of bees on the market come spring it’s not looking pretty.

dairy, kiwi fruit, apples, berries, lamb, beef, pork poultry, and a myriad of others go through these swings and roundabouts frequently we just have to tighten up hold on and be there when the tide turns back in our favour again :) 

maybe we'll get a cold winter and need lotsa firewood !

• Haha 1

That’s good thinking doing firewood sucks it’s such a lot of work but it’s in demand and people want it and there must be more ideas out there.

Theres probably a heap of things you could do if you sat and thought about it.

its a pretty cool part of the country you live in there has to be some way of making something out of that.

Paying staff over winter Is the biggest financial burden but what can you do :( 

ive heard on the grapevine from more than one person that Comvita is telling it’s partners that they will pay $7 kg for non mono Manuka and they have to sell it to them for that price.

gotta wonder how that’s going to impact more than few companies.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

My inside source has confirmed that my decision not to sell any Honey this season and focus on expanding numbers was a reasonable one.
These people predict a huge shortage of Honey going forward but overall the bigger players including the regulators want to see a thinning out of the industry in the meantime.

Your inside source must have been a key Cog in the wheel for them to have that kind of info, they must have also known what MPI’s Manuka standard was going to be. 

@jamesc I have been looking out for some pure rata honey on the shelves but have not seen any yet.

I want a jar  as a starter to cream my honey .

Do I have to go down the coast to buy it . I used to see it on the shelves .

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Like  I said at the start, this is a sensitive  subject ..... but ... sometimes it's good to share trade secrets.

After a few phone calls rallying the troops DOC came back and offered us a diversion. Now, I am no criminal and the workings of the law is a totally new experience for me, but a diversion is what is offered when a crime of misdemeanor is commited. So the penalty is a request for a written apology, a fine equivelant to the concession fee plus a contribution to a conservation project of my choice. Nice. I have a little conservation project gong on the farm.

But, I read between the lines. DOC screwed up and are too proud to back down. The diversion settles the matter nicely with no court appearance, no conviction and no publicity, but, and this is the important part, ish . It's not the truth and makes a sham of the judicial system.

The case continues....

Hi James, I have locked horns with DoC formely in the past and my experience has been that the battles can be won, but they will almost certainly be gunning for you in the future.

Please do not start something that my effect beeks with hives in the vicinity of DoC reserves ( there's plenty of them ).

Just do the diversion and get on with life.

As I said i dont doubt you can win this battle.

But you will lose the war.  Good luck either way

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bee Good said:

Hi James, I have locked horns with DoC formely in the past and my experience has been that the battles can be won, but they will almost certainly be gunning for you in the future.

Please do not start something that my effect beeks with hives in the vicinity of DoC reserves ( there's plenty of them ).

Just do the diversion and get on with life.

As I said i dont doubt you can win this battle.

But you will lose the war.  Good luck either way

Everyone has to act within the law - including Doc.  IF @jamesc has acted in good faith it is a matter of principle and there is no way should he accept their terms.  Call their bluff and watch it all quietly disappear.  

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

we both have done the $3-$4 honey so we know how to make it work

Have you worked out the seasonal cost of treating a hive?
It could be as high as $1.50/ kg

40kg from a hive and 8 strips per season

Plus labor etc