frazzledfozzle

What Ute to buy

Are the Holdens any good for beekeeping?

47 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Are the Holdens any good for beekeeping?

I would say they are absolutely terrible beekeepers... but that's just a hunch. 

They would be much better used as vehicles I recon and let the humans keep the bees.. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I would say they are absolutely terrible beekeepers... but that's just a hunch. 

They would be much better used as vehicles I recon and let the humans keep the bees.. 

yeah nah mate .... would'nt hire a Holden ...... made in Australia... and probably try to tell me my manuka was jellybush .... or worse.

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

would'nt hire a Holden ...... made in Australia

Nah.  All made in Korea now.  No way I would buy a Holden.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ali said:

Expensive tastes @jamesc! They latest are a looker but at $175,000 +++ for road version ........

Well yes, but when you got quality honey ....

• Haha 2

My dream ute one day.

IMG_20180320_170501.jpg

• Like 3

Depends what you want it to do and what you want it for after.

My partner bought a double cab 2016 Navara ST about 18 months ago, and it’s very nice to drive and very nice to travel in, literally the most comfortable seat I have ever sat in in my entire life, heaven on a sore back.

And you don’t feel a single pot hole driving round town.

I thought I might swap my 94 Corolla with him so I could take baby to work with me in the truck, but he wasn’t keen on the downgrade.

Aside from it currently having a wellside and being practically useless because it can only fit 8?(I think from memory) hives on it, it is huge, the bonnet also flares up at the sides and you cannot see over it, it is an absolute nightmare in an orchard.

If you were on farms and just in paddocks it would be fine, I think I would definitely struggle to get enough gear on it for a full days work even with a flat deck as you are generally limited to a 12 hive fit on a double cab, but if your not moving hives you can maybe get away with it.

Generally we all go out together (Mum, Dad and I) and we take two trucks anyway,  the Nav and Dads crump Lux, putting a 3rd person in a bench seat for more than a half hour trip means you spend a lot of time trying to realign yourself when you get out after being twisted up like a pretzel.

I wouldn’t recommend a single cab other than for a soley work vehicle as you have no room to put anything, absolute nightmare in the wet and your constantly worried about people pinching things off the back these days.

I love our Navara which is a 2005 3ltr diesel, for work, but as a ‘car’ it’s pretty stink, and if you have to drive it for more then 3 hours you won’t be able to feel your bum when you get out.

I would recommend you get two vehicles, a cheap second hand single cab Navara with a reasonable history and whatever else is going to suit you.

I have resigned myself to a Subaru Forester until I can afford to flat deck the new Nissan and follow Mum and Dad around and be able to cart a full setup of baby crap to work until my kid gets bigger.

I figure having only one deck to work off  won’t be much of an issue considering my work output is set to plummet, it’s a shame I can’t put the baby in a medium size dog cage like the goat and chuck her on the bench seat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

She's her fathers daughter right now!:IMG_0380:there's a reason I drink!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Daley said:

it’s a shame I can’t put the baby in a medium size dog cage like the goat and chuck her on the bench seat.

Nuc box and a hive strap should do it.

That’s a nice scan someone has done for you by the looks of your profile pic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cBank said:

Nuc box and a hive strap should do it.

That’s a nice scan someone has done for you by the looks of your profile pic.

Yeah the guy who did most of my scans has his own private clinic and he’s a pro, I had a few ultrasound techs and most of them were crap so I specifically requested him.

I had tons and tons of scans coz I’m a high risk.

Haha I’ll just chuck her on my lap she’ll be right

Maybe it was asked before. ???

Why secondhand car importers do not bring in utes? You have a large range of small to large size passenger cars and SUVs and vans on the market but no utes. I am talking about the ones that never had an NZ owner. Usually you have to pay on road cost too.

17 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Maybe it was asked before. ???

Why secondhand car importers do not bring in utes? You have a large range of small to large size passenger cars and SUVs and vans on the market but no utes. I am talking about the ones that never had an NZ owner. Usually you have to pay on road cost too.

I imagine the Taliban and Isis have a bulk order in for the Hi-lux's as that's all they seem to use. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Why secondhand car importers do not bring in utes?

they do. but i think of recent years the import emission laws has probably put a dent in them.

also suv's are far more common in japan. there would not be many utes in good condition worth importing.

• Thanks 1

I am looking to buy a new car - maybe a ute -  and I need some help.

Can we set up the trademe app to send us an alert when a new listing is on with the parameters pre-set for our requirements?

i.e. I do not want to be alerted for every single ute that comes up on TM, just those that are single cab + "x"-ish mileage + "y"-ish year + ..........

I know there is a push notification option but I never used it so I still have to figure it out how it works.

10 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I am looking to buy a new car - maybe a ute -  and I need some help.

Can we set up the trademe app to send us an alert when a new listing is on with the parameters pre-set for our requirements?

i.e. I do not want to be alerted for every single ute that comes up on TM, just those that are single cab + "x"-ish mileage + "y"-ish year + ..........

I know there is a push notification option but I never used it so I still have to figure it out how it works.

Yep you can, search what you want and then up top right corner where the heart is with the plus on it, you favourite stuff and it will ask you for your alert preferences 

54C99922-4913-4910-A034-F28647B3E8BB.thumb.png.bc2a565925bea5947ccb0999324af952.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12 April 2018 at 8:16 PM, jamesc said:

Well yes, we've always run Cruisers and will probably replace our four year old one this year with another flatdeck single cab. They are pretty basic with non electric windows, no thermo to tell you the temp outside and the only bell is the one on the seatbelt. I had a Ranger a few years ago and it annoyed the crap out of me as that evry time you opened the door the beeper went off, and so it went on. It was nice on the road but had a hopeless seat position for a bit of boulder hopping. 

The Cruiser has heaps o f power when the V8 donk kicks in but needs the front bench seat replaced with a bucket seat for passenger comfort and a chiller unit put in the middle for the essentials. They are overpriced and are not invincible, and certainly don't float in a West Coast river, but when the going gets tough they are legendary.

For an on road 4x4 ute I prefer the F150..... heaps of room inside, cruise control, auto and with a  set of lifters on the suspension and a winch on the front might even rival the Cruiser.

Hey if you want to swap the bench seat for a bucket I'd be keen I have the station wagon version of the 70 series cruiser with two buckets up front and would like to make it three seater up front don't think I can recive PM's on here but contact Derek at "Tunnicliffes" if you want to get hold of me

2 hours ago, Timbatrader said:

Hey if you want to swap the bench seat for a bucket I'd be keen I have the station wagon version of the 70 series cruiser with two buckets up front and would like to make it three seater up front don't think I can recive PM's on here but contact Derek at "Tunnicliffes" if you want to get hold of me

Hmmm .... photos of the buckets ....  0224130602

On 12/04/2018 at 4:59 PM, john berry said:

Very happy with my D MAX Izuzu

Same, I just got mine re-mapped and free flowed with a 3 inch exhaust from DPS

Goes like a rocket now

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... photos of the buckets ....  0224130602

Bucket seats might be an exaggeration the passenger seat is just opposite hand version of the standard drivers seat but with the controls on the other side it has had a cover on all its life and not had a lot of use the little console that goes between the seats can go with it IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.b4bb071b7664cee47a0dc547b24e878c.JPG  

18 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Same, I just got mine re-mapped and free flowed with a 3 inch exhaust from DPS

Goes like a rocket now

A Hint

Put an exhaust gas temp gauge in it.

Probe should be just above the turbo even though most mechanics want them on the downstream side.
The big exhaust will help a lot but it pays to know what the pistons are enduring on the hills when pulling power from a go fast Diesel engine.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Philbee said:

A Hint

Put an exhaust gas temp gauge in it.

Probe should be just above the turbo even though most mechanics want them on the downstream side.
The big exhaust will help a lot but it pays to know what the pistons are enduring on the hills when pulling power from a go fast Diesel engine.

+1 on that. pre turbo temps are the important bit.

did one of ours a few weeks ago.

i highly recommend auberins  https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

programmable, has alarm output so you can fit an idiot buzzer on it.

• Like 2