frazzledfozzle

What Ute to buy

We would love some input from those petrol heads out there about what Ute to buy that would be really good for work and play that is comfortable and most importantly reliable.

cruisers don’t come into it because they are too expensive. 

If I was in the market for a new ute I'd certainly have a look at LDV.

• Agree 1

How much hardcore offroading do you do? I strugle to go past the tritons (within wareentey) for the money they just arnt so good off road.

Edited by Kiwifruiter

Not a lot of serious off-road just mainly farm paddocks and a few tracks up hills.

the idea is to get an all purpose Ute now and then buy it from the company when we sell up 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

If I was in the market for a new ute I'd certainly have a look at LDV.

I had to google it and just a couple of questions come to mind firstly it’s chinese made is that a problem?

and with it being newly released I wonder whether it’s reliable long term.

kind of 

like the Toyota utes that had a few years of rubbish utes churned out 

I would recomend a triton in a heartbeat just sell it when the warrente runs out, the engines dont last more than 300000 kms

Don’t overcapitalise 

Depends on how much you want to spend Toyota's have trouble with the DPF the ranger and bt50 have the catching on fire if the DPF gets long grass in it they still have not found a fix. I do like the LDV but it's early days for the ute.

What about a second hand cruiser?

58 minutes ago, glynn said:

What about a second hand cruiser?

How comfortable is it to drive once we switch from being beekeepers to non beekeepers ?

@jamesc will be the man to ask about that.

But one thing they hold there price on the other side the cheaper Utes also hold there price well relative to there buy in price.

I guess you need to drive as many as you can.

• Like 1

Do you need 4wd after you sell up? How many years or miles might you keep the vehicle?

And oh. If you selling up I better get some more of those Frazz queens from you before they don't exist any more!

• Like 1

would probably drive it till it fell apart which is what we tend to do with all our vehicles :) 

definitely going to be making some changes, very exciting times :) 

Im someone that can and will find the breaking point of any 4x4.
Dont touch any of the new utes, not even the Toyotas, they are all shopping trolleys.
You will probably want a flat deck or wellside so that rules the Surfs and Prados out which are good trucks apart from the habit of old 1kz motors of blowing up.
Probably the best older ute would be IMO the early 2000's 5L Toyota 4x4
say 2004 half,single or Double cab

Non Turbo 750000 km capable ute

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Dont touch any of the new utes, not even the Toyotas, they are all shopping trolleys.

Bang on. Im on the lookout for a replacment engine for bee ute the thrid (1998 izuzu rodeo) because its so freekin good. Just not overly nice to drive....

Sounds like you use is similar to us.  Paddocks and orchards.  

With John- we use a extra cab dmax.  Biggest drawback- ####e rear suspension- I used some load hogs, though not that happy with them- best to add/reset the rear leaves.  I think most modern utes have the same issue.  The other is service schedules/cost-  they want you back in to change too many oils-  

Ticking over 62K within 2 years- no issues.  I didn't want to spend big $ either, wanted the extra space, and was able to choose colour.   An automatic could have been a good choice.  The 5 speed is okay- bit vague.  

If you do choose something- consider the fuel filler location.  Seems trivial at the time though I was limited how low the deck could go based on the stupid fill spout location.  It's an issue with most- to do the with   I like a low deck, the lower the better for me.  I don't need to cross rivers or go bush wacking. When you revamp the rear suspension you could end up getting some added height to the deck, so the filler location is important if you want to have a nice low ride. 

I think the Triton was high up on my list- very good deals- I didn't like the extra cab cosmetically.  I would recommend the single cab version- pretty good rear suspension in that one.   The nivara is also good - though more expensive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

What changes, may I ask?

Nothing finalised yet @Alastair But will PM you when we know more 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Im someone that can and will find the breaking point of any 4x4.
You will probably want a flat deck or wellside so that rules the Surfs and Prados out which are good trucks apart from the habit of old 1kz motors of blowing up.
Probably the best older ute would be IMO the early 2000's 5L Toyota 4x4
say 2004 half,single or Double cab

Non Turbo 750000 km capable ute

That's me, have a 2001 5L non turbo and it just keeps on going and going.

• Like 1

2006 Hilux still going strong was told by someone in the know to stay away from the new Hilux.

But a ute for my old age not really in saying that Nan runs shot gun and she 83

My personal truck has one of the high pressure injection system typical of new trucks and this truck concerns me because it will only run on very clean Diesel
There is no way I would buy another one of those right now.

In fact there is no way I would buy any big ticket items right now

Trade down a bit or sit tight till spring.

couple of questions that came up when i looked at a couple of utes and realised i hadn't done my homework:

1 - new or secondhand

2 - upper budget

3 - approx. km driven per annum

4 - single-cab or double-cab, why

5 - deck requirements

6 - load requirements

I drive a double cab landcruiser around occasionally at work . Its built like a tank , has a turning circle similar to a container ship  and in the boggy areas , its weight can be its downfall . Its quite high up to get into as well . On the plus side , its got tons of grunt and an awesome winch . We pulled out a stuck truck and trailer the other day . I think even we were a little surprised haha . They are pretty thirsty too with the v8 diesel and I think their weight has a bit to do with that , but it actually drives quite nicely on the road . Im still running around with my prado for beekeeping . Means I have to tow a trailer for shifting hives , but its been an awesome wagon for us . Got it at 78 000 k and now its just under 400 , with just a clutch and alternator replaced . Its pretty good offroad too , has embarrassed more than a few double cab hiluxes at times .  

We have two Tritons 4x4 one auto and one manual 5 speed, both double cab the auto has a  wellside deck it does the the shopping city driving and long trips . Manual one has a flat deck and dose the beekeeping and getting me to work and general mucking around .

The automatic utes are a really great combination of easy to drive and get around in with the capability of going off road. 

My work has three utes for piloting wide loads the one with the auto is the favorite.