TonyG

New nucs in the FD brood box - FD or 3/4 honey supers?

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Post some photos of you stacking those 5 high full depth boxs on the truck then I will believe we are weaklings! :19_kissing:

As an aside I have been calling it a hive lifter because I couldn’t remember the word crane until you just said it....should I be worried :(:( 

old age is a bitch 

as another aside Im so surprised I could use the word bitch but ###### isn’t allowed :) 

and one more

i really miss @Rob Stockley :(

I am 6’2” I stack Em by myself?

8452695F-3948-4AEA-AB96-536469D08A2A.thumb.jpeg.a6648ad9491aef8cc4e25a1d844dc961.jpeg

12 minutes ago, dansar said:

I am 6’2” I stack Em by myself?

Well @frazzledfozzle is 4 ft 6 in when wearing platform shoes. So maybe that is your answer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Well @frazzledfozzle is 4 ft 6 in when wearing platform shoes. So maybe that is your answer.

As I said, maybe I am genetically blessed?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, dansar said:

Your new avatar.......Godzilla....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dansar said:

I’m not sure that being tall is an advantage when lifting heavy stuff. Wish it was.

18 minutes ago, cBank said:

I’m not sure that being tall is an advantage when lifting heavy stuff. Wish it was.

No it wasn’t an advantage when I was filleting timber fir kiln drying I could handle 40-50 tonne a day but I was a bit too long in the wheel base. 

Tall and skinny, not good. Tall and good muscle structure is good.

A Ute isn’t as high or as wide as a truck to be fair.

but I’m suitably impressed especially if you can do 100 or so in a day.

inthink I’m picking a fight because I’m upset about you questioning my masculinity :15_yum::18_kissing_heart:

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been running the two size super system for over 35 years, I don't find it a problem at all. I use new f/d's as honey supers for one season when I want more drawn comb for brood supers the following season. After extraction at the end of the season I put them out on the hives for the bees to dry them out, then they're put away into the shed (away from older brood supers to avoid wax moth). Come spring time - Hey Presto! - combs ready to go onto the hives for build-up and splitting. The majority of my honey supers are 3/4 depth, I used to run six supers per hive, and if it was a particularly good season with all my honey supers out, then I'd throw on any spare brood supers and have them filled. The brood super honey was not extracted but used for spring feed for early splits. Some of you 'younger' beekeepers would be horrified to use honey as spring feed, instead would be happy using syrup. I have my reasons for using honey, - honey contains pollen and many, many nutrients that syrup does not, and it is pure. Nowadays you can use 'Feedbee" in your syrup in which all the nutrients are added, I have tried it, but it still doesn't beat pure honey.

My brood supers are f/d, run at one during the summer and towards the end of the flow are given a second for them to fill with honey for winter stores. Using 3/4 supers as brood nest this can't be done, either you run the season at two supers and put on a third toward the end of the flow or three and four. One 3/4 does not produce enough brood for the honey season, two or three does. I have used both systems and prefer f/d down, and 3/4 up. Certainly, I have picked up enough f/d's @ 45kg in my days as an apprentice beekeeper to know that there is a better way of collecting honey. Never-the-less if you get into comb honey, full depths are the way to go. At $400+ per super you won't mind lifting 30 or 40 of these a day.

In my apprenticeship days I worked out that each employee was physically lifting 7 - 8 tonne of honey boxes per day, ooohhh those were the days.........   

• Like 5
  • Good Info 1

7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

On the subject of missing people I haven’t seen @Derek around in ages either :( 

Derek has moved on to other things.  He was never the beekeeper but more into weather forums with @Grant

Once the extra moderators came on board, then Derek faded off into the background with his new dog.

@frazzledfozzle do you remember Dereks great weather maps and reports we used to get.  They were very helpful.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Yes I remember Trev and yes they were very good.

it makes me a bit sad when people leave the forum especially the guys and girls that were active and I enjoyed their posts and their humour.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Old Timer said:

honey contains pollen and many, many nutrients that syrup does not, and it is pure. Nowadays you can use 'Feedbee" in your syrup in which all the nutrients are added, I have tried it, but it still doesn't beat pure honey.

Hi Old Timer.  In the past I searched in vain looking for evidence which suggest that Honey was better than sugar syrup. Couldn't find any.  And some honey types are not that great for over wintering bees (willow dew).  Horses for courses I suppose.  Feeding honey in spring is much easier and simpler than lugging syrup around.  Just need to be save around the AFB aspect. 

1 hour ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Hi Old Timer.  In the past I searched in vain looking for evidence which suggest that Honey was better than sugar syrup. Couldn't find any.  And some honey types are not that great for over wintering bees (willow dew).  Horses for courses I suppose.  Feeding honey in spring is much easier and simpler than lugging syrup around.  Just need to be save around the AFB aspect. 

And don't tell Tristan

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

@Dave Black has posted an article in the past regarding research about sugar vs honey for feed. Surprisingly sugar is good.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

And don't tell Tristan

was waiting for you to mention it for me.

afb 101 don't feed honey to bees.

3 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Hi Old Timer.  In the past I searched in vain looking for evidence which suggest that Honey was better than sugar syrup. Couldn't find any

to add, if you look in the books on how much pollen etc is in honey you will find its 9/10's of stuff all. 

considering the amount of pollen bees need to consume, pollen in honey is insignificant. 

17 hours ago, Old Timer said:

Nowadays you can use 'Feedbee" in your syrup in which all the nutrients are added

while you can get more pollen supplement into syrup than there is pollen in honey, its still to small.

you need to feed it in patty form for them to be able to get enough. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Not a very experienced Beekeeper but definitely finding FD boxes a problem. My bees seem to use about half the brood frames for brood and fill the rest with honey. I find these too heavy. Also on the odd time I have had to unexpectedly replace a FD frame and only had 3/4s with me meant for problems later on. I guess it is only possible to replace the brood box with a 3/4 by making a NUC in spring or does anyone have a clever way of enticing the queen into a 3/4 box at other times?

Though, quite often there is significant pollen stored in a 2nd brood/honey box- which is/was often taken as a 'honey' box.  For instance, our hives run as 2 high full depths until I push the queen down to the bottom box around December.  The second is left on as a 'store' box  This box has a good amount of spring/summer pollen.   Any boxes above not much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jill Nicholls said:

r does anyone have a clever way of enticing the queen into a 3/4 box at other times?

theres plenty of discussion on the topic.

finding the queen and moving her is one way. or put 3/4 on top and hopefully she will come up. fit queen excluder then come back and find which box is laid.

• Agree 2

On 13/04/2018 at 12:40 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

On the subject of missing people I haven’t seen @Derek around in ages either :( 

True, I haven't been around.  But as Trevor pointed out, as a non beekeeper there's not a lot I was able to contribute to anyway, and things that I did do are well covered by others.

I'll post something somewhere to let you all know stuff...

• Like 2

Great to hear from you again @Derek  How is that dog coming along.  As well trained (not) as Labradors tend to be.

Hey @Dereklovely to see you're still "lurking" I've missed you too! :17_heart_eyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

would be lovely to have @Rob Stockley pop in too then the team would be back again :)

I saw an entry from him on Facebook "Backyard Beekeepers" the other day.

I miss you to @Rob Stockley

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Derek said:

True, I haven't been around.  But as Trevor pointed out, as a non beekeeper there's not a lot I was able to contribute to anyway, and things that I did do are well covered by others.

I'll post something somewhere to let you all know stuff...

you need to get yourself a hive then, Derek, we miss your posts

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I saw an entry from him on Facebook "Backyard Beekeepers" the other day.

I miss you to @Rob Stockley

i got a warning from @Grant and demerit points etc plus from memory a threatened ip ban simply for mentioning this page (that i mod) as the source of info i posted here a while back, be careful! ;)

i thought it was bleeping ridiculous, but there you go..

Edited by tommy dave