lexy

virgin queens, when to panic

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I'm wondering about the state of the queens after 4 weeks in the cage

I wondered about it as well.  First year trying this.  The queens are smaller and look a bit frenzied.  I would to if stuck in a jail house for weeks. 

They ones I released and have checked seem okay. Winter/spring will tell.  

It curious how the cages get all propolised when the queen has died- sealing them in-  It's an easy way to see if the queen is a goer or goner. 

• Good Info 2

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

Its because they tend to be around the $15 mark and mated Queens are over $75

Totally true.  It's a cheap alternative and easier to manage than a cell.  A good 'middle' ground for some. 

I think virgins really limited success.  A virgin just hatched and walked into a hive- awesome.  But one hardened and in cage is asking for trouble, they have got their unique pheromone and are racing about - nothing calm about them.  Probably okay in nectar gathering conditions.  The sellers claim great success though- and I don't use them= so writing with some ignorance. 

29 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We do the same bank the queen in it’s own hive

Thanks Frazzled- I asked you about doing this last Spring.  You said no worries then.  Cheers.  have you tried the JZBZ cages?  they fit real nice between frames- but you need to 'cap' of the end of cage - candy end.  I think you can buy the caps for these.  

No I haven’t but have seen them and like the look of them.

my dad made a heap of wood and mesh cages for us and they work really well.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

4 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Totally true.  It's a cheap alternative and easier to manage than a cell.  A good 'middle' ground for some. 

I think virgins really limited success.  A virgin just hatched and walked into a hive- awesome.  But one hardened and in cage is asking for trouble, they have got their unique pheromone and are racing about - nothing calm about them.  Probably okay in nectar gathering conditions.  The sellers claim great success though- and I don't use them= so writing with some ignorance. 

I had a virgin hatch in a match box as I was walking across the paddock to put the cell in a Queenless hive.

They accepted her straight away .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

I have had good success banking good queens when requeening.  Queen in cage, cell goes in at the same time.  At a guess 80% create a new queen and look after old one in cage.  I have used these older queens to fix things and will monitor these to see if the queen continues okay.  Some queens banked for over 3-4 weeks. 

So in a regular cage, no attendants or candy just the cap or end closed to keep her in?

@frazzledfozzle Ive seen the wooden cages before online and in books but would you be able to share a pic of yours?

6 hours ago, Daniel Benefield said:

So in a regular cage, no attendants or candy just the cap or end closed to keep her in?

I used a JZ BZ cage, only because they are nice and compact and easy to leave between top bars.  

No attendants.  Though I cottoned onto putting candy in the cage when I banked her- makes it easy to use queen elsewhere.  The biggest negative for the JZBZ is that you can't easily add candy once bees are in.  And, no end cap which required me to tape over the 'spout' to keep the queen inside (when no candy in place). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

This is what we use image.thumb.jpg.a73e9962b7649204e7e0742d5d49c3cf.jpg

What's that sticky out piece?  A hole blocker?  Looks robust enough to keep on using.  

I don't understand the logic of buying virgins ...... unless of course you are a slave trader.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

This is what we use image.thumb.jpg.a73e9962b7649204e7e0742d5d49c3cf.jpg

Did you post that photo from your cell phone Frazz ?

From my iPad.

i was surprised I was able to post it that size but that’s how it ended up.

posting a photo from my gallery gets problematic but taking a photo when posting by clicking on the “click to choose files” and selecting take photo or video seems to work well.

On the subject of photos I was supposed to either post a photo in reply to something or do something else  for someone on the forum but I was away and I said I would do it when I got home.

now that I’m home I don’t remember what it is that I’m supposed to be doing and for who :( 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

From my iPad.

i was surprised I was able to post it that size but that’s how it ended up.

posting a photo from my gallery gets problematic but taking a photo when posting by clicking on the “click to choose files” and selecting take photo or video seems to work well.

hmmm ... it don't work for me ..... maybe I have to swap some $$$$$ with Grant .......?

Get the boys to show you how to @jamesc

• Stirrer 1

hey all - thanks for all the info,

Banking the queen sounds like a great idea - and even if its not in a great state after a month its certainly going to be in a better state than squashed. I just split off 25% of my best hives expecting that would be more than enough to cover off the worst case failure scenario. sigh. Little did i know:-(  

Anyway, after what can only be described as a catastrophic requeening  I looked through my hives this weekend and have the following sorry state of affairs - I've successfully combined 10 apparently queenless hives (roaring, angry and broodless) back into queen right hives. I also have 17 broodless hives that I dont have the capacity to combine - plus I worry about them containing a ninja virgin that might take out the good queen anyway. The broodless hives seem happy and I spotted little virgin queens in a few of them. To have gone this long without becoming drone layers I suspect they must have unmated queen's lurking in there emitting enough pheromone to maintain order....  Any suggestions on how I should manage these hives? is it possible the bees could last till spring - they're all big strong hives with plenty of reserves, but losing the queen 17 march until spring is an awfully long time.... If its possible they'll make it I'll make cells for them.

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, lexy said:

If its possible they'll make it I'll make cells for them.

What would any potential vigins mate with.  There are no drones around.  I stopped all my splits by mid April.

I meant if they can make it till spring I'll put cells in... I've gone off virgin queens for some reason:-)

17 minutes ago, lexy said:

I meant if they can make it till spring I'll put cells in... I've gone off virgin queens for some reason:-)

Mated queens are what you need - they will hit the ground running.  Using cells in early spring would mean at least a three week wait until they are mated and laying - if they successfully mate!!

3 hours ago, lexy said:

I meant, What would your virgin queens from your cells mate with now.  You did not say that you were wanting information for next spring.  I thought you were trying to deal with a problem now.  Sorry, my bad.

On 23/05/2018 at 6:19 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I meant, What would your virgin queens from your cells mate with now.  You did not say that you were wanting information for next spring.  I thought you were trying to deal with a problem now.  Sorry, my bad.

no worries, I should have written it better:-)  And I really hope those hives make it till spring or it will be an expensive lesson!