Nigel

help with honey jars

Hi,

I purchased a whole lot of 250gm plastic honey jars off the internet from a group in Christchurch (18c each).  The lids came with a type foil insert inside the lid.  The lid screws down on the jar and the foil acts as a seal.

I am in one mind to take the insert out as the jars that I use to get from ceracell have no foil seal but at the same time it could look more professional.  What are your thoughts on this system?  

Those foils are pressure seals.  When you do up the lid, the foil seals to the jar.

• Agree 1

So when your honey ferments, the foil bulges when you take the lid off.

• Agree 1

whats your opinion of the foil pressure seal system? Have you used it?

Honey is a natural preservative. Why would you need a seal ?

It came inserted into the lid with the jars that I purchased.  I am thinking of manually removing the insert but will make my decision after I get a few responses from posts

I've used a pressure seal type lid at times, it was a plasticised type seal rather then foil. No problems at all but probably unnecessary expense. I would just use the ones you have particularly if for your own use.

Do you prefer the plastic foil seal?

22 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Honey is a natural preservative. Why would you need a seal ?

To stop honey leaking out if you are transporting it. Specially overseas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Do you prefer the plastic foil seal?

It seems to almost a paper seal though with a smooth surface, they certainly adhere to the jar rim. There is something about metal type  (foil?) that has less appeal to me. There does seem to be a reaction (corrosion?)eventually, honey/metal.

I know of a sealed jar that went to Singapore and was bulging (in the heat?). The plastic jar bulged but the seal held. I don't believe that was fermentation either.

12 hours ago, Nigel said:

Hi,

I purchased a whole lot of 250gm plastic honey jars off the internet from a group in Christchurch (18c each).  The lids came with a type foil insert inside the lid.  The lid screws down on the jar and the foil acts as a seal.

I am in one mind to take the insert out as the jars that I use to get from ceracell have no foil seal but at the same time it could look more professional.  What are your thoughts on this system?  

I’m pretty sure if you give honey to people to take overseas they need to have seals.

All of the jars I use have seals under the lids, I get them from pharmapac.

18c is an incredibly cheap jar I would be wanting to see some food grade certification for them at that price.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

3 minutes ago, Daley said:

I’m pretty sure if you give honey to people to take overseas they need to have seals.

My plastic jars of honey have gone overseas without seals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

It costs extra to get the caps with inserts in, and if you try and take them out, you risk damaging the sealing profile molded into the inside of the lid. I would use them as supplied.

• Agree 2

The poly jars from Ecrotek have a tamper proof lid which will reveal if the seal has been broken, my honeys go into places where they are allowed, nothing about cap inserts ...

Edited by tudor

They sound like induction seals. Apply some heat on top of the lid and the foil should seal to the jar. Might take you a bit of time getting the right amount of heat.

Goodluck