JasonK

Buying used gear

The real cost could be many times the 3k.

21 hours ago, yesbut said:

I wonder if submerging the boxes in petrol for 10 minutes would minimize any infection risk ? 

Absolutely just need to add a match.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, dansar said:

Someone is keen on it, it was up to 3k when I last looked. 

Yeah I saw that. It will likely sell too. But at this point I think I’m out of the race. 

• Like 1

How ironic would it be if it were someone from this forum who buys it though haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JasonK said:

How ironic would it be if it were someone from this forum who buys it though haha

Its value is based on the cost to hot dip the woodware
Undipped the vendor needs to pay the purchaser to take it away, 

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

Its value is based on the cost to hot dip the woodware
Undipped the vendor needs to pay the purchaser to take it away, 

Most of the boxes are eps foam 

• Agree 1

Just sell two of your double FD colonies in spring and you’ll have the $ for at least 100 new boxes. 

• Like 1

@CHCHPaul yeah I hear you. 

My ambition is to make my money from selling Bees not honey. I’m just trying to figure everything in order to work out the profit margins for selling 100 x 10 frame hives with gear, to see whether it’s worth the investment of my time and money. I’m not sure how easy it will be to sell 100 hives. And I’ve never owned a business before either. Ideally I’d keep my day job and work the Bees every weekend and the odd evening. How much do commercials pay new breeders per hive?  

46 minutes ago, JasonK said:

@CHCHPaul yeah I hear you. 

My ambition is to make my money from selling Bees not honey. I’m just trying to figure everything in order to work out the profit margins for selling 100 x 10 frame hives with gear, to see whether it’s worth the investment of my time and money. I’m not sure how easy it will be to sell 100 hives. And I’ve never owned a business before either. Ideally I’d keep my day job and work the Bees every weekend and the odd evening. How much do commercials pay new breeders per hive?  

They don’t - they breed their own.  I think the days of hives being in huge demand are over.  Just have a look at the lack of interest in the numerous listings on trade me at the moment.  The hives that are selling are very cheap as the sellers need some cash.  $300 for good singles.

• Agree 1

After using some hand-me-down boxes and frames for a couple of years, I concluded they accounted for our bees doing poorly, so about 15 months ago I removed all the plastic foundations, scraped them and rendered the wax.  We converted the frames to foundationless. 

Boxes were scraped, and painted inside with a propolis wash made by mixing alcohol with propolis scrapings plus a bit of gum turpentine. 

The bees have done much, much better for the past year. 

I agree with Alastair that if you don't buy the boxes someone else will, and the problem doesn't go away for beekeepers in your community. 

Buy and scrape the boxes clean.

Singe/char the inside with a weed burning propane torch  if you're really worried about AFB or anything else.

Dip in hot wax & resin if available for a reasonable cost.

That  treatment stabilizes everything, and will increase the lifespan of the equipment... particularly the dipping.

If you don't have the time to scrape all the frames and renew the foundation,  just replace them with new ones.

If you have the time to fiddle with the frames scrape the wax off and render it.  That should purify it pretty well for sale or reuse. 

Apparently wax moth digest AFB spores. Box up the wax covered foundations in a way that allows wax moth to thrive.

In a couple of months they will have cleaned the foundation including the residue in the waffle pattern of plastic foundation sheets.

Then wax coat and reuse.  (some sheets may require a bit of power washing). 

Restoring them the right way keeps a bit of CO2 out of the atmosphere, and save a couple of trees in exchange for labor. (labour)

Work on the boxes and frames in clothes you're ready to throw away. Gloves too. 

That's my 2¢

Jerry -- Oakland

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

.  $300 for good singles.

Yeah I’ll be selling nucs for at least $300, and full single box hives with gear for $500. I suppose it shouldn’t be too hard to sell 100 during the spring rush, maybe in groups of 5 or 10 

@G Przybylski

yeah there are no old frames with this offer and most of the boxes are an epoxy plastic. It’s tempting to buy the gear but mostly everyone is screaming no don’t do it. 

I just want to increase to 100 hives in the next year or two by a manner that doesn’t compromise on quality or safety, but with a reasonable saving on money here and there. 

9 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Yeah I’ll be selling nucs for at least $300, and full single box hives with gear for $500. I suppose it shouldn’t be too hard to sell 100 during the spring rush, maybe in groups of 5 or 10 

You can try,  but again I think the days of those sort of prices are long gone.  Good luck though!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I don’t to rain on your parade Jason, but.......

How many colonies will you have to service the need to make 100 new colonies?

Are you going to raise your own queens or buy cells/queens from someone else?

if raising your own queens how many breeder colonies will you have?

what will you do with the surplus honey, will you have enough boxes and frames for honey? Honey will be a buy product of making nucs etc.

I am up to about 100 colonies now and reckon I need an additional 4-500 boxes to cater for splits, “the big honey season” and selling a few hives.

Personally I think the market has crashed for hive sales and as mentioned have a look at how many sales are passed in on TM.

I am interested in how you will go about it as I started with similar business model and quickly changed direction and have explored other sources of income from bees.

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

9 minutes ago, dansar said:

I don’t to rain on your parade Jason, but.......

How many colonies will you have to service the need to make 100 new colonies?

Are you going to raise your own queens or buy cells/queens from someone else?

if raising your own queens how many breeder colonies will you have?

what will you do with the surplus honey, will you have enough boxes and frames for honey? Honey will be a buy product of making nucs etc.

I am up to about 100 colonies now and reckon I need an additional 4-500 boxes to cater for splits, “the big honey season” and selling a few hives.

Personally I think the market has crashed for hive sales and as mentioned have a look at how many sales are passed in on TM.

I am interested in how you will go about it as I started with similar business model and quickly changed direction and have explored other sources of income from bees.

I also wonder how many commercials out there are planning on selling a few hundred nucs in the spring to boost their cash flow after a couple of poor seasons.  Wouldn’t take many to flood the market.  Same with kiwifruit pollination - heaps of commercials who have never done pollination talking about throwing hives into Kiwifruit this coming season.  Fortunately with the level of kiwifruit expansion going on it may balance out ok.

• Good Info 1

Autumn is not the best time to be selling hives . 

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of interest on trademe at this time of year 

• Agree 2

@dansar I’ll only buy nucs and queens next season in groups of 3 or 5 so as to diversify genetics, my breeding stock will be my best hives that I chose larvae from, I’ll produce my own queens as grafting has been going well for me so far. I’ll be selling my honey in bulk to a local brewery, and jars to friends and family. I’ve only got 25 hives at the moment, but I aim to be prepping 50 or more for winter this time next year, and 100 or more the following year. My ideal scenario is then to slow down expansion and sell 100 hives / nucs per year from previous year splits and perhaps develop own honey brand. 

• Like 2

@frazzledfozzle yeah totally. Things get frantic in spring. Lots of bees sold. ESP overwintered colonies sought after. 100 colonies shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think

1 hour ago, Ted said:

You can try,  but again I think the days of those sort of prices are long gone.  Good luck though!!

Ted, the season just gone, prices were $300-$350 nucs, and hives $500-600. Long gone may be an overstatement. I’d say more like that is the current market rate, at least in springtime.

Edited by JasonK
Missed a word

22 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Ted, the season just gone, prices were $300-$350 nucs, and hives $500-600. Long gone may be an overstatement. I’d say more like that is the current market rate, at least in springtime.

22 minutes ago, JasonK said:

You may be right but on the back of two poor seasons and not much money around I’ll be surprised but hey like I said - good luck.

30 minutes ago, JasonK said:

What you have also got to consider is that those prices were achieved on a rapidly expanding and buoyant industry.  Incidentally last spring you could buy as many nucs as you wanted for $250.  What with manuka standard uncertainty, overstocking issues and a couple of poor crops I think it would be naive to think those prices will continue - commercially speaking.  If your intending to sell to hobbyists you might be ok.

The other thing is.. where would one acquire frames and wax foundation in bulk 

1 minute ago, JasonK said:

The other thing is.. where would one acquire frames and wax foundation in bulk 

Any of the beekeeping suppliers.  I use Ecrotek.

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Autumn is not the best time to be selling hives . 

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of interest on trademe at this time of year 

There has been a lack of interest all season. Lots of  hobbiest beeks made splits to sell.

• Like 1

What most new people dont realize is that 100 hives to sell at once  is a huge undertaking
As Dan said, the resources required to come up with that many hives are huge.
I would also suggest that there is no way possible that a beginner could do it 
Its entirely likely that the after the first winter Jason may have 10-20 hives left of which half will be weak splitable
These will take all season to build in time for an Autumn sale

Edited by Philbee