JasonK

Buying used gear

Hi there, 

I would like some advice on buying a large quantity of beekeeping gear at a bargain cost from someone I don’t know. Yes I know there are alarm bells already going off.. 

the offer includes well over a hundred boxes and nuc boxes and mating nucs etc and lots of equipment such as feeders etc. 

The beekeeper said he burned hives before because of suspected sacbrood, just in case it was AFB when I asked him about disease history. There are only new frames being supplied with the deal. He says he is no longer DECA registered. 

Is it reasonably safe to buy boxes boxes since there’s no used frames involved? Some are that plastic foam stuff so probably can’t be hot dipped. 

Any way to test or verify there’s no disease present? Is this the deal too good to be true? If I did avail of the offer and didn’t get disease it would give me a huge boost, however I would like to be cautious at least.

thanks 

• Like 1

I am with Trevor.  Too risky.  It's amazing how some beekeepers burn sacbrood hives.  Says it all really. 

• Agree 1

It’s got to be hard to pass up what could be a spectacularly good deal, but wow must it hurt to burn a hive. I watched a video of Trevor burning one and it’s awful. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Yeah I thought the reaction might have been as such. Yeah I am certainly suspicious. However, is there even any way of me finding out if his is gear disease good or not?

any other questions I can ask him aside from disease history and where are all the bees gone from this equipment and why don’t you have DECA anymore? 

Super tempting because it’s enough equipment for 60 hives i.e. 180 boxes, and queen incubator and much much more. But yeah, I wouldn’t like to find AFB 3 months after installing nucs into them.

I wouldn't go near used gear, stick with new stuff and put the time and money required into building up and you will always know what you have ( and what you don't have ).

• Agree 1

Would it be worth possibly finding AFB in next to all hives next season and burning the lot?

• Agree 1

If you can give the wooden gear a full AFB treatment cheaper than you can buy new gear you could look at it. As for testing it for AFB that's easy, just use it on your hives and then burn the results.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know someone who you can hire AFB detector dog from at $200 an hour. Based in Auckland too. Seen that on trademe, I won’t go near used items unless you know whom you buying from. Always go new, 

• Good Info 1

42 minutes ago, JasonK said:

However, is there even any way of me finding out if his is gear disease good or not?

I don't know of any easy way of testing the equipment.  It could be fine, or it not.  

The seller very likely knows that without bees, the gear the gear isn't worth as much. If I was exiting bee keeping and had gear to dispose of that was AFB free, I would put bees in my gear to get a higher price for the gear. The seller is being fishy

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but sometimes greed can cloud judgement

• Good Info 1

I think it’s a resounding no go on this gear. I shall heed the warnings, thanks for the advice. 

It has been suggested that I invest the time and money into making my own gear. Can someone point me in the right direction of how I can best and cheapest assemble 100 boxes. Is it easier to register a business and try to establish a bulk discount through wholesalers?

I wonder if submerging the boxes in petrol for 10 minutes would minimize any infection risk ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ibrahim Mohammed said:

I know someone who you can hire AFB detector dog from at $200 an hour. Based in Auckland too. Seen that on trademe, I won’t go near used items unless you know whom you buying from. Always go new, 

Can detector dog sniff out spores or just the actual disease in a live hive?

You  could just give me the what you are willing to pay for the gear. Then burn most of your hives.. The end result would be the same. :2_grimacing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JasonK said:

I think it’s a resounding no go on this gear. I shall heed the warnings, thanks for the advice. 

It has been suggested that I invest the time and money into making my own gear. Can someone point me in the right direction of how I can best and cheapest assemble 100 boxes. Is it easier to register a business and try to establish a bulk discount through wholesalers?

100 boxes => just over $1k plus a bit of time plus a bit of glue + some screws + some paint from a dump-shop or similar. Buy a bunch kitset, assemble yourself, paint, use

edit: @dansar beat me to it

Edited by tommy dave
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dansar said:

I ended up with enough wood to make 50 FD Premium Grade boxes. 

Geez, that's good. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dansar said:

To get you started there are a few suppliers selling seconds/budget boxes for around $10 each. Unless you have a good set of woodworking machinery and can access timber cheaply you won’t get any better deal than that.

If you do have the gear and are able to do all the Joinery, ask around your local sawmill or portable sawmillers for what timber they have available.

I went to my local mill the other day to get a Ute load of firewood (kiln dried offcuts) and after sorting out the load I ended up with enough wood to make 50 FD Premium Grade boxes. 

did you go back for more ?

10 hours ago, Gabor said:

Can detector dog sniff out spores or just the actual disease in a live hive?

The dog will run around all the used gear and either be totally bored with the whole operation or get very excited. So yes , the dog is a very good tool for screening used and secondhand gear going into an operaton. We do it quite often and are ruthless. Any slight indication goes into the burning drum.

A bargain is a bargain. If you take it up I would also get hold of a large parrafin wax bath heated with diesel, not wood, and dip everything for ten minutes at 160c.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

43 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

did you go back for more ?

Yes I got all of it.

• Like 3

@Alastair

cheers for the advice. Yeah I think it’s just too dodgy to go through with. I’ll likely just try source gear at wholesale and assemble from flatpack. 

Someone is keen on it, it was up to 3k when I last looked. 

• Haha 1