Jump to content
dansar

Cheaper ways to secure hives (strapping)

Recommended Posts

Here’s is a cheaper and fairly long lasting solution to securing hive boxes together. The other alternative is ratchet or camlock straps or emlock straps, both are very good systems but I always like looking for an alternative (cheaper way?) to do something. I know some beekeepers use the poly strapping that is either the blue or black one. This doesn’t have very good UV resistance and eventually breaks down, which is fine because it’s a cheap strap anyway. Usually it is only tensioned hand tight. If an over zealous animal rubs up against the hive it is more likely to separate when it topples over. 
I have been using Poly woven strapping for many years in the timber industry.  This strapping is UV resistant and uses heavy duty metal buckles. Couple these components with a manual tensioner and you have a very well secured hive. When it comes to opening the hive again all that is required is the hive tool to slip under the buckle and lift up (as shown in the photo) to cause the strapping to loosen. Use the tensioner to tighten again after closing up the hive. Also, just use the tensioner in such a way that you buy-pass the strap cutter as you’ll need to keep the extra length to use as additional boxes are added through spring and summer.
Yes it does taken a fraction longer to tighten up the strap vs using an emlock or ratchet strap but at around half the price across 100 colonies and cheaper again after the initial purchase price as you won’t need to buy the tensioner or buckles for a while (buckles are sold in lots of 1000) it certainly makes it a very attractive option for securing hives.

 

 

87AE2059-1773-438F-9448-FDB0A1EC7BF1.jpeg

029811AD-56C8-484C-854F-D11B33FD8EA7.jpeg

6575C7C4-C7D1-45AA-ABE5-A2AFB5B925AF.jpeg

0BEF18D6-4749-4FB4-86A7-729AC0E204F5.jpeg

45A10570-AC27-406C-9055-5BC490EEF420.jpeg

A6E30D28-1483-4153-BF59-44F5A869BA21.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dan, 

 

How are these working out for you? 

I am considering adding more straps to my hives, aerofast or ems.  I got some emlocks, bit annoying when you stand or kneel on them.  Aerofast work well, though the buckle is tall.  and has moving parts.  

Can you hand tighten these well enough? or do you need the tool? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Can you hand tighten these well enough? or do you need the tool? 

You really need the tool to make them effective. Cost of unlocks or Areofast is around $10.00 so it is a matter of preference. I did a video on the series at tensioners. I find them very good. They will even weave your company name into the strapping for free if you are buying more than 100m of strapping. I got my straps made 6 m long. I don't have trouble of stock chewing the straps as I always make sure the excess strap is tucked away under the strapping.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Trev.  The key is to wind up the tails properly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There can't be many ways of holding a hive together that I haven't tried over the years from the simple rock on top to M locks and all sorts of weird and wonderful straps and strings. If you must run hives in singles then set them up in groups of four with each eye facing a different direction just like on pallets which gives them some protection from stock and they do better probably because of less drift. Springs with chain and a hook on the lid is by far the best method I have ever used with its chief advantage being time, it takes literally seconds to do up and even less to take off. No chewing and on pallets at least virtually no stock damage although I do have one site with really big bulls and I have four chains rather than my normal two. I have found some of those pallets over a metre from where I last left them with everything still intact. When we still used strings or straps at least once a year I would be carrying a box of honey when my foot would get caught in the loop and down you went. Chains would certainly be dearer for single hives but properly set up they last forever and saving half an hour a day is a really good investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Cheers Trev.  The key is to wind up the tails properly.  

I will take a photo.  I don't get flash.  Just bunch up the loose end and shove it under the strap. Then final ratchet tighten.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is how I tie up the loose ends.  Nothing flash..  Stock have never chewed on my strappings.

20180603_163137.thumb.jpg.8a56b926992bb4767e6c5d5cf21a7f4e.jpg

 

Here is my name woven into the strapping.  No extra cost for this.

20180603_163216.thumb.jpg.9f9cbad6a900cccd6078436681fda950.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Hi Dan, 

 

How are these working out for you? 

I am considering adding more straps to my hives, aerofast or ems.  I got some emlocks, bit annoying when you stand or kneel on them.  Aerofast work well, though the buckle is tall.  and has moving parts.  

Can you hand tighten these well enough? or do you need the tool? 

 

They are working well for me. I only use them because I have the equipment on hand already for strapping hive components on to pallets for trucking anyway and plenty of years in sawmilling so an endless supply of the strapping available as well.

I think SecureLoad in Tauranga also supply a reasonably priced ratchet strap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/04/2018 at 4:26 PM, dansar said:

Here’s is a cheaper and fairly long lasting solution to securing hive boxes together. The other alternative is ratchet or camlock straps or emlock straps, both are very good systems but I always like looking for an alternative (cheaper way?) to do something. I know some beekeepers use the poly strapping that is either the blue or black one. This doesn’t have very good UV resistance and eventually breaks down, which is fine because it’s a cheap strap anyway. Usually it is only tensioned hand tight. If an over zealous animal rubs up against the hive it is more likely to separate when it topples over. 
I have been using Poly woven strapping for many years in the timber industry.  This strapping is UV resistant and uses heavy duty metal buckles. Couple these components with a manual tensioner and you have a very well secured hive. When it comes to opening the hive again all that is required is the hive tool to slip under the buckle and lift up (as shown in the photo) to cause the strapping to loosen. Use the tensioner to tighten again after closing up the hive. Also, just use the tensioner in such a way that you buy-pass the strap cutter as you’ll need to keep the extra length to use as additional boxes are added through spring and summer.
Yes it does taken a fraction longer to tighten up the strap vs using an emlock or ratchet strap but at around half the price across 100 colonies and cheaper again after the initial purchase price as you won’t need to buy the tensioner or buckles for a while (buckles are sold in lots of 1000) it certainly makes it a very attractive option for securing hives.

 

 

87AE2059-1773-438F-9448-FDB0A1EC7BF1.jpeg

029811AD-56C8-484C-854F-D11B33FD8EA7.jpeg

6575C7C4-C7D1-45AA-ABE5-A2AFB5B925AF.jpeg

0BEF18D6-4749-4FB4-86A7-729AC0E204F5.jpeg

45A10570-AC27-406C-9055-5BC490EEF420.jpeg

A6E30D28-1483-4153-BF59-44F5A869BA21.jpeg

When I first started I used Emlocks on single positioned hives, in the past few seasons iv been palletizing everything and only need 2 Emlocks for 4 hives @5m straps now I got a whole bin of short Emlocks  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

now I got a whole bin of short Emlocks  

Could you not add strapping to the em?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been joining them with rivets and a fold but still ended up with heaps surplus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/06/2018 at 8:39 AM, Maru Hoani said:

now I got a whole bin of short Emlocks

You wan to sell some?  I see your not a paying member, so messaging a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...