Alastair

Any good pics of your bee sites?

Never taken a close look but pretty sure that chimney would still work. It's double sided ie a fire both sides, so must have been middle of the house not the edge.

I don't know when the house got burned, but it's not really in your turf Tristan, it's over Muriwai Beach direction

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

who said i never worked in muriwai ? ;)

but nah not the one i was thinking off. 

Edited by tristan
  • Like 1

One of my sites near egmont National Park in Taranaki 

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

Edited by JasonK
  • Like 4

Nicely laid out Jason, good to see some of your work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

heres another, good spot to stop for a coffee break

IMGP0019.JPG

• Like 11

Another site just before Xmas.

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 11.21.43 AM.png

• Like 6

At least we did’nt drown the truck?

22FC680F-12A3-49C3-96F1-9F0B7CA810CA.jpeg

• Like 3

Slave labour

706C52CD-C0DF-4A25-976D-AA656FEFB299.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

How did you get pics up?  

Im outta my depth making that magic happen. 

I woould comment on the clean suit but understand the owner of it is probably on the third set for the season

8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

How did you get pics up?  

Im outta my depth making that magic happen. 

I woould comment on the clean suit but understand the owner of it is probably on the third set for the season

I dunno .... it just started working again uploading off the cellphone.  Thats Charlie in the clean suit .... that was at the end of the day .... Charlie did a runner a few days later .... Bees was'nt really his forte, but at least he now knows what he does'nt like !!

Charlie's Story.

Charlie is a night owl. We'd pick him up at five in the morning for the trip to the coast, and by the time we got to the Glentunnel Store - 200m down the road from his dad;s house he was fast asleep. He was good company in the truck as I could crank the country tunes and got no complaints.

He did'nt say much.  We'd stop for breakfast in Hokitika. Not a lot of talk there either, until I started  enquiring about what the'd been doing all night. Not sure if that's politically correct to ask an eighteen year old, but anyway ..... I could'nt shut him up. A big smile came on his face and he introduced me to his world ..... gaming online, fighting battles to save his planet .....

I told him there and then that if the bees were'nt for him , then how about learning how to make games. He looked at me accross the table as if I'd hit him with a baseball bat.

A few days later we were taking more honey off . The truck was loaded  and the bees were hell bent on getting their honey back. Charlie was despatched to open  the gate. The gate never got opened. Charlie was leaning against the fence sobbing.

Oh crap. What's happened ?   "There's a bee in my viel .... I'm having a panic attack "  

"OK Charlie ... go climb in the ute. I'll get the gate."

"There's more bees in the ute", he wailed.

The bee yard we had done is called 'The Cemetery'.

"Ok Charlie, take a walk . Out the gate, turn left down towards the cemetery and we'll pick you up. But whatever you do, don't go into the cemetery. You're far too young for that place yet "

That was Charlie's last day with us. We stopped for lunch and he took his suit off and started walking home. Only home was quite a few K's away. We gave him a lift a couple of hours later.

Yep. She's a hard road finding the perfect Man.

Charlie will make it. he's a smart kid. Too smart to be a Beekeeper !!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Where is that?

Not exactly, of course. ;)

Aaah the Glentunnel store.. from about 9yrs old I spent the next 15 yrs buying a pie every Saturday from that store. 

My uncle worked for McVicars Timber and we pighunted GlenArlie every Saturday without fail, also a few other spots surrounding it. 

The boars always had great hooks outta there... Mt Misery is  rich in minerals. 

Sweet memories. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I love pics of apiary sites.

theres some pretty nice paintings out there I would love to have hanging on my walls

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Slave labour

706C52CD-C0DF-4A25-976D-AA656FEFB299.jpeg

Judging by the speckly sky, there were a few bees about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I love pics of apiary sites.

theres some pretty nice paintings out there I would love to have hanging on my walls

a few years ago a mate of mine started to get a painting based on favourite tramping pictures commissioned annually from some local up-and-coming but yet to be charging much money artists.

i'm now jealous of his art collection, and only slightly appeased by being in some of the paintings

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

a few years ago a mate of mine started to get a painting based on favourite tramping pictures commissioned annually from some local up-and-coming but yet to be charging much money artists.

i'm now jealous of his art collection, and only slightly appeased by being in some of the paintings

Yo.... I love those paintings of bees and yards done by an Otago artist ..... Hieght ?  Nice price too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yo.... I love those paintings of bees and yards done by an Otago artist ..... Hieght ?  Nice price too.

i love this from Parihaka Road, just around the corner from where i grew up. I'll see if i can replicate this as a photo next time i'm up in taranaki.

https://www.gowlangsfordgallery.co.nz/artists/michael-hight/works

hight_parihaka-road_2008.jpg

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My oldest (15 yrs old) is starting to get some recognition around the Waikato. She has been doing commissioned work of pets and wildlife. 

This one is getting picked up today. Colour pencil and acrylic.

image.thumb.jpg.20e8ffbf59e48994253effe4364ab5c5.jpg

• Like 22

Dansar .. that is remarkable.  She's going to go a long way, that's a fact. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/22/2018 at 1:44 PM, dansar said:

My oldest (15 yrs old) is starting to get some recognition around the Waikato. She has been doing commissioned work of pets and wildlife. 

This one is getting picked up today. Colour pencil and acrylic.

image.thumb.jpg.20e8ffbf59e48994253effe4364ab5c5.jpg

That's is one talented girl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 21/04/2018 at 8:56 PM, jamesc said:

At least we did’nt drown the truck?

22FC680F-12A3-49C3-96F1-9F0B7CA810CA.jpeg

Man I know that spot! Rata.