dansar

Syrup tank and pump layouts

On 31/03/2019 at 10:13 PM, tj20 said:

sweet as thanks heaps for your help fullas , ill give the gravity a crack  

Can you advise where you bought your gravity from?😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dansar said:

Issac Newton supplied it for him.  You will find his shop just under the apple tree.

• Haha 2

On 4/04/2019 at 7:15 AM, dansar said:

You posted this on the fourth of April? Bit late...😜

Great info in this thread thanks. P

For those of you who run the TM trash pumps,do they handle  2:1 syrup alright?

5 hours ago, Phil46 said:

For those of you who run the TM trash pumps,do they handle  2:1 syrup alright?

Yep. And FYI my pump sat unused over summer with a hive lid sitting over it to keep worst of the weather of it. I set it up again a few weeks back and it started second pull on the cord. The pump was less than $300. Ridiculously reliable for the price.

Mine is the 50mm model, I’m not sure if a smaller pump would handle 2:1.

• Good Info 1

thanks Dan.

Here’s my Setup , made it a few weeks ago , took 2 hours roughly to fit together , haven’t tested it out as of yet with Sugar Syrup but seems to pump water like it’s going out of fashion, pretty simple made it for under $800 inc pump , need to get a Mate if mine to engineer a Forklift frame for the tank also so I can adjust the pump to tank Distance to make it more compact which would require the tank lifted Level with the pump inlet , as you can see from the photo it is on an angle so extends hose length. Also brought a hose reel (only Fire hose reel) for cheap that would get fitted soon as the tank frame is made. B8487731-36C4-4DA4-9614-D7250A94A6BE.thumb.jpeg.9ef124444471dd24ad4180f32aaa7c13.jpeg

Tank holds 750L of syrup so should do the Job ! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThomasR said:

Here’s my Setup , made it a few weeks ago , took 2 hours roughly to fit together , haven’t tested it out as of yet with Sugar Syrup but seems to pump water like it’s going out of fashion, pretty simple made it for under $800 inc pump , need to get a Mate if mine to engineer a Forklift frame for the tank also so I can adjust the pump to tank Distance to make it more compact which would require the tank lifted Level with the pump inlet , as you can see from the photo it is on an angle so extends hose length. Also brought a hose reel (only Fire hose reel) for cheap that would get fitted soon as the tank frame is made. B8487731-36C4-4DA4-9614-D7250A94A6BE.thumb.jpeg.9ef124444471dd24ad4180f32aaa7c13.jpeg

Tank holds 750L of syrup so should do the Job ! 

Nice. You’ll regret having a full tank sitting on that side of the deck. For a better distribution of weight you should be able to fit the tank and pump across the headboard of the deck even without a frame to mount the motor on.

• Agree 1

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, dansar said:

Mine is the 50mm model, I’m not sure if a smaller pump would handle 2:1.

For pumping into beehive feeders, less  than 50 mm can work. But under 50 mm is just not enough to get the needed flow for mixing, you really need the water in the tank churning for that.

Here is my sugar tank set up.

A Fill Rite 12v diaphragm pump, the hose is 32ml wash down hose at 4.5mtr long, that is the length of truck deck and crane boom, so when I park in middle of the yard I can reach all hives that are placed by the crane. I use monkey swivels on each end of the hose so you not fighting the twist in the hose all the time. I use a pressure switch and the  hose is the pressure tank so when I pull the handle on, the pump starts and when I let it go the pump stops.

I have used straps around the tank to hold to the forklift base, I used metal strapping but have seen another on use ratchet strapping, the little screws on base of tank to hold to forklift base wont hold a full tank, 700 ltrs of water is 700kg, 700 ltrs of syrup is between 800-900kg, plus tank hose motors etc.

I use baffle balls in the tank to stop surge, they work bloody well and wouldn't have a tank without them. 

It is all compact and tied together so easy to use on truck or ute, the truck has a 12v plug setup, no noise when feeding, and can work 1 have at a time and feed or work the whole yard and then feed a blanket feed at the end. I have had this setup for over 16-17yrs and the only thing I have changed is the pressure switch.

It was costly to set up at the start, but with kiwifruit and all the other feeding you spend a long time on the end of a hose so make it worthwhile and efficient.

sugar tank 1.jpg

sugar tank 2.jpg

sugar tank 3.jpg

sugar tank 4.jpg

sugar tank 5.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice. 🙂

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I use baffle balls in the tank to stop surge, they work bloody well and wouldn't have a tank without them. 

one thing i dislike is many tanks do not have baffles. i looked at baffle balls but it was $$$$$.

plus i like the tanks to be low which really reduces the roll.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

one thing i dislike is many tanks do not have baffles. i looked at baffle balls but it was $$$$$.

plus i like the tanks to be low which really reduces the roll.

I had the same concern with baffle cost.  So I bought a roll of drainage coil instead and cut it into lengths approx 1m long each

and dropped them in the IBC.  No surge works really well.

• Like 2

@dansar

yeah I ended up doing that works great !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glynn said:

what part of that in particular?

not uncommon to use aluminum tanks as you can make them fit your needs.

fuel tanks can leave a bit to be desired. often don't have good baffles. have fuel sized fittings which are to small for syrup.

pumps need to be suitable for thick syrup. fuel is really easy to pump, syrup is a major pain.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

what part of that in particular?

not uncommon to use aluminum tanks as you can make them fit your needs.

fuel tanks can leave a bit to be desired. often don't have good baffles. have fuel sized fittings which are to small for syrup.

pumps need to be suitable for thick syrup. fuel is really easy to pump, syrup is a major pain.

Thanks it was the pump part I was wondering about I only feed nucs and some hives I want early drones from