Jump to content
dansar

Syrup tank and pump layouts

Recommended Posts

Gear pumps are the way to go, even for syrup, but the 5mm trash pumps do the job well enough at a lower cost.

 

We have a couple of 12v diaphragm pumps on smaller tanks, slow when the sugar is cold, ok if you can heat the sugar up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some changes here.

For now I have to think electric. This is it.

 

I remembered that I used to use an electric stick/drum pump(maybe the progressive cavity pump category......?).

The brand was Lutz(full plastic) and it pumped the salty water(with plenty salt crystals in it) easy as.

 

I play with the idea to build one since a Lutz pump(or similar) are dear.

 

Current idea for design:

- 1.5" pipe from Mitre10. Maybe made out of 2 or 3 pieces. Long enough to fit in a drum.

- the top end will have a T + a hose to return the liquid into the drum

- inside the pipe will be a SS rod(they are not cheap). I wonder if I can get a 1.5m piece with 6-10mm diameter. Apparently the ones over 1m are 12 or 12+mm thick

- I will put homemade propellers on the rod starting at the bottom

- I will add brackets(bits of SS) to keep the rod centered. One bracket at the bottom, and more where the pipes will be joined and above the T 

- above the T will be a seal to stop the liquid going up

- it will be powered from the top with a drill gun
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a petrol pump from TM where can I get fittings? Now they are for $200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

For a petrol pump from TM where can I get fittings? Now they are for $200.

Suppliers on TM or a farm supplies store like RD1 or DeLaval or a local pump suppler.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

For a petrol pump from TM where can I get fittings? Now they are for $200.

 

I've got most of my hoses and fittings from the Hose Shop in Avondale, they also have an East Tamaki branch.  Nothing is cheap.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CraBee said:

 

I've got most of my hoses and fittings from the Hose Shop in Avondale, they also have an East Tamaki branch.  Nothing is cheap.....

Falloons at Dairy Flat has a really good selection, and not blindingly expensive.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to have my syrup mixed in a 200L plastic drum. And use a petrol pump.

Is it a good setup if the pump's inlet will be attached close to the bottom of the drum while the outlet will fill the drum from the top. The pump should have enough power to push the syrup 1m up.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the pump today for $179 from TSB Living. I have a feeling that the hose and coupling will be more than that.

I missed the opening hours at the Hose Shop in the morning so I made a small detour to Falloons and it turned out that they will not have what I need(they sell hose of 50mm in rolls of 25m and it is not very flexible either).

So the journey continues next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I got the pump today for $179 from TSB Living. I have a feeling that the hose and coupling will be more than that.

I missed the opening hours at the Hose Shop in the morning so I made a small detour to Falloons and it turned out that they will not have what I need(they sell hose of 50mm in rolls of 25m and it is not very flexible either).

So the journey continues next week.

 

The Hose Shop has many many different hose types and fittings.  I use a strong clear hose type with a wire thread running through it for most of the permanent mixing hoses, and then what is really a cowshed wash-down flexible type of hose for the 20m long hose on the hose reel.  I'll get some pics tomorrow for you.  Others may have even better solutions....

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main focus will be on fitting a connector to the lower part of the 200L drum(since the surface is not flat, will it fit properly or will it leak?).

I do not plan to have a long hose because I feed with buckets. Mix -> Fill the buckets at home -> Take buckets to the apiary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

My main focus will be on fitting a connector to the lower part of the 200L drum(since the surface is not flat, will it fit properly or will it leak?).

I do not plan to have a long hose because I feed with buckets. Mix -> Fill the buckets at home -> Take buckets to the apiary

You can get fittings that have a large washer type setup inside and outside of the drum that mould to the curve . They don't leak 

 

The shop will point you in the right direction . It's not uncommon to do 

Edited by M4tt
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

My main focus will be on fitting a connector to the lower part of the 200L drum(since the surface is not flat, will it fit properly or will it leak?).

I do not plan to have a long hose because I feed with buckets. Mix -> Fill the buckets at home -> Take buckets to the apiary

The fittings you want are available in the HANSENS range. There is another brand (blue couplings) that I used too but can’t remember the name off hand. You are correct in saying the fittings and hose will cost more than the pump.

I used the 50mm clear pipe with the wire reinforcement inside and I think it is 25mm id wash down hose for the feed out hose. You will need to fit a bypass tap as well to control the flow between outlet hose or recirculating for mixing.

 

AE636A67-E105-47C0-AFC5-EE2EE4CB6EE5.jpeg

D147E4C7-3692-41AE-87A9-67C4AA6C8D99.jpeg

Edited by dansar
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi all i have just finshed welding up a alloy sugar tank for my ute and i was just woudnt what pumps would be the way to go? i pref wanna go for a 12v pump and the cheaper the better. cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, tj20 said:

hi all i have just finshed welding up a alloy sugar tank for my ute and i was just woudnt what pumps would be the way to go? i pref wanna go for a 12v pump and the cheaper the better. cheers 

any pics?

the one i mostly built is now in service and no leaks !

pumps, the petrol powered ones are about the best cheap way to go.

12v pumps tend to be expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, tristan said:

any pics?

the one i mostly built is now in service and no leaks !

pumps, the petrol powered ones are about the best cheap way to go.

12v pumps tend to be expensive.

 was thinking of using this as a pump? or would gravity feed work alg? and no sorry dont have any photos atmo at my workshop . just a retangle checker plate tank with ss lid 3mm thick 

 
 
Screenshot_2019-03-31-15-11-13.thumb.png.14cccbce2ba70756a5dc7929532bfe30.png
 
 
Edited by tj20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have doubts that pump would work well.

but i don't have any specs on what works well for them. tho a few beeks here do use them that style of pump.

keep in mind that most pumps are made for water/fuel which is a whole lot easier to pump than thick syrup.

 

forget using any fuel type nozzle or filter/strainer, as the sugar clogs them. a simple ball valve for a tap work well.

sugar syrup is rather dense and tends to impact the sides of the tank fairly hard. any poor design or welding can result in cracks and end up with corners splitting open.

 image001.thumb.jpg.40908a773bf9d073ab2414dd6faa64f5.jpg

 

this is about 3/4 done. half the baffles and top to go. welded inside and out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tj20 said:

hi all i have just finshed welding up a alloy sugar tank for my ute and i was just woudnt what pumps would be the way to go? i pref wanna go for a 12v pump and the cheaper the better. cheers 

Get what you pay for.  The one you show looks nasty. Needs to have a good inch in/out flow.  

There is a very good version of a Jabsco- electric which is used by a few commercials.  700 odd bucks though. 

I use a petrol with fuel bowser - a inch one- not like the one you shared. Works primo though can restrict the flow, but with the petrol pump no worries. I have had odd bits of crap get stuck in them = a nice spill or leak.  Just need to clean out.   

  Might be different with electric, the guys using the Jabsco have a ball valve on end.  Which makes them a two handed affair. 

 

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tristan said:

i have doubts that pump would work well.

but i don't have any specs on what works well for them. tho a few beeks here do use them that style of pump.

keep in mind that most pumps are made for water/fuel which is a whole lot easier to pump than thick syrup.

 

forget using any fuel type nozzle or filter/strainer, as the sugar clogs them. a simple ball valve for a tap work well.

sugar syrup is rather dense and tends to impact the sides of the tank fairly hard. any poor design or welding can result in cracks and end up with corners splitting open.

 image001.thumb.jpg.40908a773bf9d073ab2414dd6faa64f5.jpg

 

this is about 3/4 done. half the baffles and top to go. welded inside and out.

okay sweet as might look at getting a petrol pump what would u guys recomend? and have a ball value of end ? and yes my tank is 3mm thick and been tig welded with couple of baffles.

7 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Get what you pay for.  The one you show looks nasty. Needs to have a good inch in/out flow.  

There is a very good version of a Jabsco- electric which is used by a few commercials.  700 odd bucks though. 

I use a petrol with fuel bowser - a inch one- not like the one you shared. Works primo though can restrict the flow, but with the petrol pump no worries. I have had odd bits of crap get stuck in them = a nice spill or leak.  Just need to clean out.   

  Might be different with electric, the guys using the Jabsco have a ball valve on end.  Which makes them a two handed affair. 

 

if i was to go for petrol pump whats the best one to go for ? and you recomend the fuel bowser? . my tanks isnt the biggest i think its around 300l so wasnt to sure it was worth a petrol pump . maybe gravity flow would work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for petrol pump a honda wb20. not sure of the exact model, might be a wb20xt ??

i would not recommend the fuel bowser. its not so much about crap clogging them but sugar syrup crystals forming in the mech and clogging it. you pretty much have to clean them daily.

only issue with ball valves is if they get knocked open.

you could go gravity into a bucket. did that for years. would work fine especially with such a small tank.

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tristan said:

for petrol pump a honda wb20. not sure of the exact model, might be a wb20xt ??

i would not recommend the fuel bowser. its not so much about crap clogging them but sugar syrup crystals forming in the mech and clogging it. you pretty much have to clean them daily.

only issue with ball valves is if they get knocked open.

you could go gravity into a bucket. did that for years. would work fine especially with such a small tank.

sweet ill have a look at them , they called trash wayer pumps aye? . ill do gravity on this smaller one cause considering making a larger tank  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tristan said:

i would not recommend the fuel bowser. its not so much about crap clogging them but sugar syrup crystals forming in the mech and clogging it. you pretty much have to clean them daily.

 

beg to differ.  Never clean mine daily.  Only when needed.  Probably depends on the type?  I use those cheap alloy ones, nothing fancy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

 

beg to differ.  Never clean mine daily.  Only when needed.  Probably depends on the type?  I use those cheap alloy ones, nothing fancy. 

where abouts do you buys your ones?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tj20 said:

where abouts do you buys your ones?

 

I recommend gravity for smaller operators.  It's so simple.  I got mine through Farmlands I think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

 

beg to differ.  Never clean mine daily.  Only when needed.  Probably depends on the type?  I use those cheap alloy ones, nothing fancy. 

could well be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I recommend gravity for smaller operators.  It's so simple.  I got mine through Farmlands I think.  

sweet as thanks heaps for your help fullas , ill give the gravity a crack  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...