Alastair

Bayvarol Not Working

Just re visited some hives I put Bayvarol into 5 weeks ago, (4 strips per box spread through the brood area), and major mite issues. Some hives really, really bad. Crawlers, bees with DWV, lots of dead brood, hives in critical condition. OK I know it's not quite the full treatment period, but there is no way those hives will be OK by the end of the treatment period.

If the rest of my hives are like this I am in trouble, a few of them were suffering when the strips went in so I hate to think what they are like now.

I have just ordered Apivar and soon as it arrives I'll be doing a fast as treatment of all hives.

When John said he had a problem, now I believe him.

Weird thing is though, that bayvarol has worked fine for me up to now, but then all of a sudden, doesn't work at all, in all the hives I looked at. You would think that if the mites were getting immune, it would first happen in a few hives but others would be OK. But every hive I looked at was like it had not been treated, so I'm wondering if the problem is actually a faulty batch of bayvarol.

Is that Bayvarol rep still around? It's not just that I spent several thousand dollars on Bayvarol, it's also the state my hives are now in, it's pretty likely I'll lose some.

Anyhow, to anyone who used Bayvarol I'd recommend doing a check, also be good if anyone else affected could post here also.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 6

Ohh that makes me very nervous are you going to contact ecrotek ?

have you still got some packets left I would be interested in the batch number if it has one

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1

Batch number is KPOCH2A.

Not spoken to Ecrotek yet, I'm going to check the rest of the hives first but that won't be till next week when the apivar strips arrive.

Edited by Alastair

make sure you keep some of the bayvarol when you remove it @Alastair (probably didn't need to say that)

zipped up, cool and out of the light.

I still have packets from the same batch. But it would be good if the Bayvarol rep would join the thread, so she could say how she would like samples taken, etc.. So we get to the bottom of this.

• Like 1

That is what happened to me this time last year. I was prepared to put it down to user error but at the same time I didn't understand why I would suddenly get it wrong after years. And the AP2 confirmed the strips were in the right place. 

• Good Info 2

Interesting Janice.

Never doubted you John, once you did the 4 strip treatment.

When the 2 strip treatment failed, I think it was reasonable to say that it's only 1/2 manufacturers recommendation, so the full strength treatment must be done before passing judgement. 

But anyhow in my own case, it's all been done by the book, I'll probably get some pics next week to show that.

Other thing John, it's a bit odd that both you and I had issues at the same time, despite the distance between us. Another argument for the issue being a faulty batch of Bayvarol.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 2

Id be finding someone with a vapouriser. To me you need something fairly instant.

• Agree 1

My strips were left over from the spring. You are the third beekeeper I know who has had problems this autumn.
Assuming it is resistance we shouldn't be surprised as it was always going to happen, frankly I'm amazed that it has lasted this long especially with a number of beehavers out there some of whom you can be absolutely certain have used nothing but bayvarol from day one. There are even some imbeciles out there who are too lazy to remove old strips and I have seen two or three years worth in hives when doing AFB inspections.
Most of us have played by the rules but there are those out there who don't know what the rules are or in some cases even what the game is. There are unfortunately no enforceable sanctions for being an idiot but we all have to pay the price.

• Like 1

Having no problem with apistan

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Having no problem with apistan

You'll leave the problems for whoever ends up with your contaminated wax eh ? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, john berry said:

there are those out there who don't know what the rules are or in some cases even what the game is.

LOL you have a way with words. xD

2 hours ago, Anne said:

Id be finding someone with a vapouriser. To me you need something fairly instant.

Good thought Anne. I do actually have a vapouriser, but found the issue was having to get around all the hives every few days, multiple times. Can work well for someone with just an apiary or two though. 

All the treatments except Formic Acid are pretty much in the same boat, about knocking phoretic mites down but having to wait for the emerging ones in the brood. Apivar has brought back some pretty sick hives for me in the past, if things are really bad they get a comb of brood from a better hive to keep them alive long enough to start getting their own healthy brood through. Only problem with that is when every hive in the apiary is in bad shape with no brood to spare, I am worried about that scenario, but just have to wait till the strips arrive and then go do the best I can.

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

Weird thing is though, that bayvarol has worked fine for me up to now, but then all of a sudden, doesn't work at all,

that was us around 7 years ago.

Oh really! Didn't know that Tristan. So you guys haven't been able to use bayvarol since?

Last part of this post:

That's shet.  I have used some this autumn and have monitored them - it appears to be working okay- good mite drop on boards of those ones.  

I feel that when a hive is close to threshold and bee numbers drop sharply the Bayv doesn't work well as the chems don't get transferred quick enough.  The mites just soldier on. 

I did notice that some of the mites on the board were still walking about though.  Do the chemicals kill them straight away or just knock em off?  The ones walking about could be good ones to test. 

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Oh really! Didn't know that Tristan. So you guys haven't been able to use bayvarol since?

??? O.o

i've mentioned it many times on here. we where one of the first areas in nz to find it and we where basically at ground zero.

we stopped using apistan/bayvarol for at least 4 years and been using it a bit after that.

one of the best things to come out of it was nz beeks got a wake up call. we had Randy Oliver over for the first time at the auckland conference and was a big topic of that conference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recon if they’re suffering when strips wentin it was just too late for the treatment. Dead brood doesn’t happen straight away. 

Then there’s the crook larvae getting fed by the crook bees which underfeed them, cap their cell early and on it goes. Crashing colonies now to me show heavy mite loads way back at  the start of summer. 

Just my two cents worth.

id formic treat those real bad ones and shut them right down.

Fingers crossed for you they pull through winter. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

Batch number is KPOCH2A.

Not spoken to Ecrotek yet, I'm going to check the rest of the hives first but that won't be till next week when the apivar strips arrive.

I checked the batch no of two pkts of bayvarol I brought a few days ago and it is not the same as yours .

I am hoping to put them in next fine day. 

I have been waiting to use them after the beek takes his hives off my place , he said it would happen this week .Last time I opened my hives there was a lot of robbing , from his hives.

I worry he is breeding  resistant varroa after I saw there were still strips in the hives when he was taking honey off in feb.

There is never much sign of varroa in my hives till the robbing season,  thats when the migrant beeks take their honey and leave their hives.

• Good Info 1

Guessing you'll be OK in your neck of the woods Kaihoka, let's know though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alastair said:

Batch number is KPOCH2A.

great that's just made my day, the box that arrived yesterday has the same batch number as yours, not used any yet been to wet.

• Sad 1

You will recall we used Bayvarol last autumn and had 60 % dead in the spring with more dying.  O/A saved the day. Now we don't presume the chemicals work ..... we check check and check. The O/A drench works well and is cheap, quick and easy as a rescue remedy.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I do James, apologies for not quite buying into the story at the time.

• Like 1