Tomm

NZBF What do I do with wets

I've removed supers and queen excluders from hives. Consequently I've ended up with about 15 frames of honey which I've scraped off. I kept 5 spare frames in case Bees need it in winter. There is still many frames of honey in the remaining brood boxes. Do I place another box with the wets back on top until the Bees have eaten the honey? Or what? I can imagine if I store them they will be covered with ants.. Please suggestions??! 

My wets go straight back on and stay there.

• Agree 1

As with Mr yesbut ..... put the wets back on and let the bees clean and dry them out. Then remove and store for the winter, either in the shed or above a mat ontop of the hive.

Do I just put the wets back on top.?do the Bees just enter the bottom brood boxes and eat the honey from the box I have placed on top? Should I close opening down at all? They still seem to be foraging a lot.. Will they stop foraging and just clean out the wets? Does it usually take long to clean the wets?.. Also thanks for the 2 replies.. 

11 minutes ago, Tomm said:

Do I just put the wets back on top.?do the Bees just enter the bottom brood boxes and eat the honey from the box I have placed on top? Should I close opening down at all? They still seem to be foraging a lot.. Will they stop foraging and just clean out the wets? Does it usually take long to clean the wets?.. Also thanks for the 2 replies.. 

Yes

Yes

No

No

Depends how many bees

@Tomm you can put a plastic sheet over the frames/bees. Then opposite to the entry fold back the sheet or just adjust it to get a gap(2-3 fingers wide), and next put the wet box on. The bees will go up through the gap collecting the sweet honey(licking the frames) and it will bring it down. Basically they will go outside of their home(into the wet box) and they will rob that box and bring the food into their home(bellow the plastic sheet). If you have a hive mat with a hole of 20-30mm in a corner then you can replace the plastic sheet(I will put the corner with the hole far away from the entry).