DylanL123

Selling Propolis scrapings

Hi tommy dave,

No we do not provide mats, we are able to process them on a case by case basis should you send us some, but we'd rather deal with scrapings. We are happy to deal with small consignments if you need to get the raw out of your fridge !

Thanks,

Quentin

On 6/12/2018 at 8:14 PM, tommy dave said:

do you do the provide free mats, pay postage model as arataki do?

On 18/03/2018 at 8:51 AM, tommy dave said:

@Trevor Gillbanks did a video that helps on the how as well:

Which way do you place those propolis mats? Flat side up or down? or does it matter? Thanks

3 hours ago, Nedeljko said:

Which way do you place those propolis mats? Flat side up or down? or does it matter? Thanks

Ridge down.  Flat side up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My hands hate propolis  if i even touch any of my gear without gloves its like wake up 

in the night with hands in deep fryer... then crack for 2 weeks  take for ever to heel, seem to have it sorted

now by wearing rubber chemical gloves, and being AWARE after 2yrs trialing different methods doctors

dont know nothing ...

use to work commercial beekeeper 15 yrs ago no problem.

yesbut i cant spell😜

propalis 3.jpg

Propalis hands 2.jpg

• Sad 8

Dang!

Did anybody sell scrapings recently? I do not have propolis coming from mesh so mine is not pure.

Even propolis from mats  is not pure and is always mixed with some wax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I sent hundreds of mats away three or four years ago to one of the larger operators and eventually got a poor / low payment < $500 for the propolis and some wax back.  The amount of wax I got back was nothing eg 5% compared to what was on the mats when I sent them away.  I haven't bothered to send mats away since.  

• Good Info 2

I sent off 70 mats last spring, not particularly full got a little over $5 per mat. Was pleasantly surprised as another Beek friend had less than $1 per mat from his mats.

Put the mats on after the wax season has finished but while the weather is still warm, take off before the wax starts.

• Good Info 1

Aeiaah .... or something like that.

We sent propolis mats away last year ..... quite a few. I'm not sure it was really worth it. This year we've left them all on and will pick them up at some stage and experiment processing it ourselves to add into value added  products.

Winter jobs for the boys.

• Like 2

I just sent mine in hopefully I can get 5$ a mat again, holiday fund for the third year now

6 hours ago, CraBee said:

I sent hundreds of mats away three or four years ago to one of the larger operators and eventually got a poor / low payment < $500 for the propolis and some wax back.  The amount of wax I got back was nothing eg 5% compared to what was on the mats when I sent them away.  I haven't bothered to send mats away since.  

Try Arataki, last year I got over 2k for my 500 odd mats

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

I swap out mats as they get enough propolis in them , stick them in the freezer , then on a rainy day etc give them a whack on the inside of a container to dislodge the brittle propolis off the mats . I add that to scrapings stored in the freezer in an Arataki supplied sack , then send it away when it’s 3/4 full . A few commercials have said it isn’t worth the time to gather it  and if it means not getting through the other jobs on time , they are probably right . However I received enough to more than cover the cost of treatments , so this peasant is more than happy to keep collecting the sticky gold ! 

• Like 3

I recently sent off about 1000 mats and the return definitely didn't cover the time and hassle of putting them out, pulling them in and palletising etc. The time before I recieved about $5 per mat but this lot closer to $1.50 so I've pulled the pin. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

Is this another case of "international prices" being applied to the NZ beekeepers? I note the big C now has South American sources for Propolis in the pipeline.

Raw propolis is a major disease risk and yet I have heard reports of the importing company leaving it where bees could get access to it. That was a few years ago and one would hope that that is no longer the case but that should have lead to prosecution and should have also led to a ban on importation of such a high risk import. Bees will scavenge secondhand propolis and I know from experience that  this can spread AFB so I see no reason why it can't spread some other diseases that we don't have. Royal jelly is also imported so that it can be sold back to the country it came from in flash New Zealand packaging putting all New Zealand beekeepers at risk for the sake of a few dollars. Such imports  may not be illegal but they should be and I would be ashamed to do that sort of thing.

• Agree 5

On 5/05/2019 at 3:25 PM, Harlan Cox said:

I recently sent off about 1000 mats and the return definitely didn't cover the time and hassle of putting them out, pulling them in and palletising etc. The time before I recieved about $5 per mat but this lot closer to $1.50 so I've pulled the pin. 

Was that with Arataki? 

@Maru Hoani no not Arataki, we should have an end of season beer and compare notes

• Agree 1

I wonder how much propolis bur wax contains?

Don’t know if it answers your question @Manfred , but the last lot I sent was around 50% scraping and 50% from the mats . I left the mats on through the flow so there was a significant amount of wax on some mats  . I ended up with around 20 to 25 % pure . Over the whole season it worked out at $22 per hive . 

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

@glenPaterson - I have known of a few people who react to propolis - but usually beeks get the reaction when they take the lid off the hive and you get that fantastic waft (hopefully!) from the hive of propolis tang.     If it reacts to your hands when you touch i5 - how about when you just open the top of the hive - your face doesn’t react?

i love propolis mats.  I use Arataki,  I have only 150 or so hives and I make about $3000 a year by changing the mats - usually about 3 x a season.  Helps pay for my holidays.

Every part of the season seems different re percentage of propolis on the mats.  Mid summer seems poorest for me.  It can go below 30% but otherwise over 40%.    And scrapings are usually always purer if you scrape properly.

• Good Info 2

22 hours ago, Bees said:

And scrapings are usually always purer if you scrape properly.

Do you send all your burr comb wax scraping in, or just box rim type scrapings?

What it looks like obvious comb will not be mixed into the propolis scrapping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@CHCHPaul - I try to separate out the burr wax and just send rim and frame scrapings.  It’s a good  way to clean up your gear over winter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

should propolis production/harvest be limited to within honey season so its not exposed to varroa treatment?

7 hours ago, lexy said:

should propolis production/harvest be limited to within honey season so its not exposed to varroa treatment?

Unless you are a Stapler 😜

Arataki 380 a kilo, I only got just over 4 kgs it was a bit poos this season

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1