Tomm

NZBF Queenless hive.. Any hope?

Hive is Queenless but 10 days ago saw queen cell with egg. If I wait another 10days will there be a chance I may have a mated queen.? . Only has about 2 frames of Bees and no brood. Has 2 brood box and 1 honey super.. OK if on a warm day I remove super and queen excluder.?  Making sure I have 8 frames honey (Which I have) what chance do you give me of lasting the winter or should I get a nuc/queen in spring? 

I’m a beginner but that doesn’t sound good.

From egg to hatching is about 16 days and mating and laying takes a further couple of weeks. From your description it sounds like an uncapped queen cell? Capping happens at about day 9, so it’s a about a month after that before you can open up and hope to have a laying queen.

Can you combine the frames with a stronger hive (after a thorough disease check?).

They certainly need to be brought down to an appropriate sized hive. The entrance needs to be reduced right down to be tiny (1 bee at a time going in or out). Any ideas as to why they are so weak? Disease? Robbing?

Edited by cBank
  • Agree 1

That hive needs to be in a NUC box.  Did you actually see a queen cell or just see an egg.

When was your last varroa treatment. What was it.

It is almost too late now to save a hive.  Bees are reducing in size now, not expanding so it is very difficult to get the bees to expand.

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

It is almost too late now to save a hive.  

Its not too late to get the last couple queens mated though, right? I’ve still got plenty of drones 

As long as there are still drones about you can get queens mated. I have seen queens that mated very late in the autumn not start laying until the spring especially in the high country where there is no late flows . The main problem I can see is that the cell quite probably doesn't contain a female Queen. It may but it's most likely a drone from a drone layer or even a laying worker. If you really want to save the hive I suggest putting two or three frames of brood from a strong hive into it with lots of young bees on the frames. You could also swap it with another strong hive. Unless they are still getting a honey flow reducing the entrance is always a good idea with this sort of hive. If you decide the hive is not worth saving then don't just leave it to be robbed out but remove all honey and either extract it, redistribute it amongst other hives or save it for feed in the spring. All the above suggestions are of course dependent on a thorough AFB check of all hives involved.

Why is the hive weak? varroa issue or laying worker etc?
2 frames of bees needs to be a nuc box, not a hive. The queen still has good chances of mating, but your chances decrease the more you mess around with the hive. My guess is you could put the hive in a NUC ASAP,  before your queen starts flying outside.

If your hive is healthy you could overwinter it in the NUC, giving it back its stores  its hive currently has as it uses them.