Alastair

Stolen Nucs, Auckland

Discovered some Hive Dr nucs stolen from a site near Albany today. Not sure exactly how many were there but estimate 20 to 25 taken.

Unfortunately there is very little to identify these nucs, other than they have plastic frames, italian bees, and my writing on the lids as per the photo, the dates may be different. Going by ground imprints, looks like the theft happened several weeks ago.

The thief also took the time to look through some of the other nucs and left lids opened and some frames laying around, so obviously someone who could care less about the damage he inflicts on someone elses income source.

I'm already resigned that the chances of getting them back are close to zero, but what the heck, thought I'll post a pic and ask anyhow, never know, might get lucky.

stolen nucs.jpg

• Sad 14

17 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Discovered some Hive Dr nucs stolen from a site near Albany today. Not sure exactly how many were there but estimate 20 to 25 taken.

Unfortunately there is very little to identify these nucs, other than they have plastic frames, italian bees, and my writing on the lids as per the photo, the dates may be different. Going by ground imprints, looks like the theft happened several weeks ago.

The thief also took the time to look through some of the other nucs and left lids opened and some frames laying around, so obviously someone who could care less about the damage he inflicts on someone elses income source.

I'm already resigned that the chances of getting them back are close to zero, but what the heck, thought I'll post a pic and ask anyhow, never know, might get lucky.

stolen nucs.jpg

That's really stink news Alastair....the writing is quite recognisable though at least.

Are the Queens marked?

Edited by CraBee

Disgusting @Alastair, and we discovered that another drop-kick had helped themselves to a 5 frame nuc off one of the two hives our group has in Mt Albert over the last couple of weeks. They must have brought their own box, and the refilled hive brood box with frames off the nearby stack of extracted boxes stored dried out for winter, thinking we are too stupid to know they had taken them. Surprises now installed! 

The queens were not marked.

Sailabee I have heard some other cases of that, queen and basically a nuc removed from a hive, and frames replaced, clearly hoping the hive will requeen and nothing be noticed.

Edited by Alastair

Sadly, yours as with our mere one will have gone to dumbo's who are too ignorant to ever be able to do their own splits. Early spring there were swarms galore for anyone with a car (or bike), why didn't they go and collect a few, because if I get a whiff of the culprit it will be a police matter, with frequent follow up on my part.

Driving over the karamea hill  yesterday I noticed half a doz hives in a lay by on the side of the road.

It seems in remote areas you can still put hives in insecure locations .

I think branding frames particularly plastic ones with your rego number would really deter thieves .

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I think branding frames particularly plastic ones with your rego number would really deter thieves .

Some of the farmers down this way have installed motion sensor cameras with memory cards on their farms, as they are sick of poachers - may be an option for some beekeepers, who are in areas where hive thefts are occuring.

• Agree 1

I  bought a CCTV system on ebay for my apiary at my house, it was only 170NZD delivered plus a hard drive. The quality is good and it was easy enough to setup and install myself. My house has outdoor power in a lockable shed which helps. The CCTV is motion sensor and hard drive is part of the recording system (no PC needed) so it uses little power.

I also have avocados, the CCTV also watches these trees. Avocado theft is also now a thing. This coming season I think there  be more hive theft at night around early spring.

Edited by werdna

4 hours ago, Sailabee said:

if I get a whiff of the culprit it will be a police matter, with frequent follow up on my part.

report it now. If your car was stolen, would you wait until you found out who did it before reporting it to police?

not reporting hive thefts is foolish.

• Agree 1

Yes agree tommydave we all should be reporting hive thefts so the police have a better picture of what’s happening out there 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

report it now.

I’d say that the best reason for reporting it is that it adds to the stats. People love stats and “hive thefts up x%” sounds bad - it may eventually attract resources. @Kiwimana may be interested in this thread.

Not reporting it is not foolish, it’s just not throwing more time and money into the hole.

One thing it's better to put the camera facing the drive way it does you no good watching some dirt bag go through your hives all done up in a suit. But a nice shot of a ute and reg worth gold 

• Like 2

Exactly, after what happened to Daykell it's obvious gotta get the vehicle rego that is the plan.

Hmmmm .... we had some guys up here the other weekend hunting. They sat on the top of the hill with a heat seeking camera at two in the morning and spotted poachers three  k's away.   Interesting technology.  

35 minutes ago, jamesc said:

we had some guys up here the other weekend hunting. They sat on the top of the hill with a heat seeking camera

Sorry ..... but I gotta say ..... I don't call this hunting . ? What's the world coming to...    a mate used a drone on a recent tahr hunt up the rangitata... attempted a muster, also not hunting. 

Just my opinion and VERY off topic. 

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Sorry ..... but I gotta say ..... I don't call this hunting . ? What's the world coming to...    a mate used a drone on a recent tahr hunt up the rangitata... attempted a muster, also not hunting. 

Just my opinion and VERY off topic. 

You are right Stoney ..... to my mind  hunting is an early morning start  with the fresh smell of horse  sweat  .....   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

You are right Stoney ..... to my mind  hunting is an early morning start  with the fresh smell of horse  sweat  .....   

Using a horse for hunting is on my bucket list.. just like the good ol days

I'd probably even dust off the old Enfield  Long Tom. 

Too many low branches where I hunt to use a horse ?. BUT we have just bought a thermal imager (on the books as a beekeeping device) but we will use it for hunting ?

On 3/12/2018 at 9:47 PM, cBank said:

I’d say that the best reason for reporting it is that it adds to the stats. People love stats and “hive thefts up x%” sounds bad - it may eventually attract resources. @Kiwimana may be interested in this thread.

Not reporting it is not foolish, it’s just not throwing more time and money into the hole.

absolutely.

there was some extremely big and embarrassing cases of the police not allocating resources because lack of reports of the problem, because people where not reporting the problem because police would not do anything due to lack of resources.

sadly some police ignore reports to make it look like they are doing a good job within their budget, which keeps the higher ups happy.

so make sure you report it and let the govt worry about the cost.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Using a horse for hunting is on my bucket list.. just like the good ol days

I'd probably even dust off the old Enfield  Long Tom. 

Oh crikey ..... I had one of those 303's once. Bought for $99 at gun city and never hit a thing with it. Looked the part though ! 

• Haha 1