Kiwimana

Interview with NZ Police RE:Beehive Theft

Hi,

I am in the position to interview Senior Sergeant Alasdair Macmillan co-ordinator of community policing on our podcast "The kiwimana Buzz".

Alasdair recent work involves the current issue of Beehive Theft in New Zealand.

I want to cover things commercial beekeepers can do to prevent hives being stolen and what you can do to ensure your stolen property is returned to you.

A couple of questions, before we start working on this...

(a) Would you listen this such an interview?
(b) If you could ask one thing of the New Zealand Police, what would that be in regards to this topic?

Thanks

Gary Fawcett

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwimana said:

Hi,

I am in the position to interview Senior Sergeant Alasdair Macmillan co-ordinator of community policing on our podcast "The kiwimana Buzz".

Alasdair recent work involves the current issue of Beehive Theft in New Zealand.

I want to cover things commercial beekeepers can do to prevent hives being stolen and what you can do to ensure your stolen property is returned to you.

(b) If you could ask one thing of the New Zealand Police, what would that be in regards to this topic?

Thanks

Gary Fawcett

My experience with the Police is that very often they dont have any answers and are relying on us to them whats up

i would ask,

how much of the theft insider or employee involved?

it seams quite a lot are stealing from their employer. is this due to them being paid very little or the employer hiring the wrong people ?

is their any truth to the rumor that gangs have their own extraction plant setup ?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, Kiwimana said:

Hi,

Thanks

Gary Fawcett

Most definitely. 

Certainly is a topic that requires mentioning to increase the awareness of what is happening.

I would certainly listen to what the police have to say, but through my experience dealing with the police about stolen hives, I would regard anything they say as a load of c__p. 

My hives were stolen from a site with a padlocked gate, and when I reported it to the local station I was told that they were not interested and it was not worth doing the paper-work on. I was out of pocket $3,850. Then, a couple of years later I had all my breeder hives at my farm, and a neighbour set up a poison trap behind his house (using honey and an unknown poison mixed in), and over 24 hrs killed all my hives. I had to burn everything, cost : $120,000 +. Of course I went to the local constabulary, and got the same response as before, then went to Dunedin Central with photos, bee samples, samples of comb and floor from where the bees land. The useless bas___ds had the same response as the Mosgiel station, they couldn't care less. I asked them what their response would be if I went onto a farm and killed $120,000 of stock, and they said that I'd be locked up fast! Then I asked them what is the difference between stock and bees? "Bees are just insects, we are not going to waste our time and resources over insects". The following year I had some hives at my farm scattered in groups around the workshop (I don't live there), there were only about 45 hives. This time they were poisoned by an unknown powder poured directly onto the entrances, I think it was Carbaryl. They didn't die as fast. Again down to the cop shop (Central) with samples, same response. But to rub salt into the wound ,they thought it was funny and laughed about it. 

So, you can guess how I feel about the police. Maybe the police up north take beehive theft more seriously, but down here it's a joke. Because of these last two poisoning incidents I now am selling my business and farm so I can pay off my debts that I have incurred due to the losses of hives.

I feel that the police down here need to be investigated by an outside agency, for cases like mine and overwhelming corruption that seems to be the norm down here.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 7

That is worth a letter to The Minister  of Police and the local rag - even now sometime later.

• Like 1

A local beekeeper had a truck load of hives stolen from a property they had permission to be on by another beekeeper from out of the district who believed he had the right to be on the same land. These hives were just dumped on the side of the road. Despite the police been given all the information and them saying they were acting on the complaint further follow-up found they were doing nothing and had never intended to do anything. I am a huge supporter of the police and had many police friends when I was in search and rescue for years but this sort of thing really brings them into disrepute.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Our local cops were talking of tiles. Activated via bluetooth.    Initially i was skeptical until i forgot i had the tile in the car. I recieved an alert that the tile was 7hours away and parked in ... carpark.    you can label your tile  ...hives persite rego or whatever. Only catch battery does not last forever.   For the keen beek you could router out a section in a brood box to slip it in as to not be obvious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Timer said:

I would certainly listen to what the police have to say, but through my experience dealing with the police about stolen hives, I would regard anything they say as a load of c__p. 

My hives were stolen from a site with a padlocked gate, and when I reported it to the local station I was told that they were not interested and it was not worth doing the paper-work on. I was out of pocket $3,850. Then, a couple of years later I had all my breeder hives at my farm, and a neighbour set up a poison trap behind his house (using honey and an unknown poison mixed in), and over 24 hrs killed all my hives. I had to burn everything, cost : $120,000 +. Of course I went to the local constabulary, and got the same response as before, then went to Dunedin Central with photos, bee samples, samples of comb and floor from where the bees land. The useless bas___ds had the same response as the Mosgiel station, they couldn't care less. I asked them what their response would be if I went onto a farm and killed $120,000 of stock, and they said that I'd be locked up fast! Then I asked them what is the difference between stock and bees? "Bees are just insects, we are not going to waste our time and resources over insects". The following year I had some hives at my farm scattered in groups around the workshop (I don't live there), there were only about 45 hives. This time they were poisoned by an unknown powder poured directly onto the entrances, I think it was Carbaryl. They didn't die as fast. Again down to the cop shop (Central) with samples, same response. But to rub salt into the wound ,they thought it was funny and laughed about it. 

So, you can guess how I feel about the police. Maybe the police up north take beehive theft more seriously, but down here it's a joke. Because of these last two poisoning incidents I now am selling my business and farm so I can pay off my debts that I have incurred due to the losses of hives.

I feel that the police down here need to be investigated by an outside agency, for cases like mine and overwhelming corruption that seems to be the norm down here.

Report them to the police complaints authority, similar with what happened up north, until they were reported on they were dragging their feet, once that happened they got interested.

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

I would ask them to provide an information sheet about keeping hives safe as they are the ones that are supposedly investigating losses and looking for patterns of how hives are taken and from what areas - similar to a neighbourhood watch email about crimes in your areas that could go to all registered beekeepers.

They should highlight what beekeepers can use to track hives - one i can think of is microdots for example but hidden gps or locator beacons is another good idea.

Another thought would be spot checks on the roads when hives are moved around in vehicles - if your legit you won't mind a few questions thrown your way. 

It will all fall onto how much money this will cost and the benefits of doing it as usual.

My 2c worth anyway.   

7 hours ago, Old Timer said:

wasn't that same dunedin cop who eventually got charged with harrassment etc recently was it. Cops down there have got some strange stuff going on.

definitely contact the police complaints authority as mentioned above. Luckily (?!) there are plenty of pinko liberal bureaucrats who are all for dodgy cops being pulled into line.

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cBank said:

That is worth a letter to The Minister  of Police and the local rag - even now sometime later.

i'd go one step further and contact woodhouse and whoever is now mp for clutha - they're in opposition and they'll likely run with the story + have resources and clout

i'll copy what i said in another thread.

"there was some extremely big and embarrassing cases of the police not allocating resources because lack of reports of the problem, because people where not reporting the problem because police would not do anything due to lack of resources.

sadly some police ignore reports to make it look like they are doing a good job within their budget, which keeps the higher ups happy.

so make sure you report it and let the govt worry about the cost."

one of the simple problems is police time and $$$. what is the best use of their resources.

unfortunately when they ignore complaints, it can have cause very large social problems. 

even if they can't do anything, they should at least take the complaint on board so it shows up in the stats.

if it doesn't show in the stats then govt won't allocate any police resources to it.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2018 at 4:11 PM, tristan said:

i would ask,

how much of the theft insider or employee involved?

it seams quite a lot are stealing from their employer. is this due to them being paid very little or the employer hiring the wrong people ?

is their any truth to the rumor that gangs have their own extraction plant setup ?

Maybe few some many. Report to the police if hives stolen is very helpless. We understand why the police cant do much about that. But even if we have enough evidence still the theft still free and still stealing.

23 hours ago, Old Timer said:

@Old TimerI  can't pm you because I am a cheapskate but I work at the ODT and I think there could be a story in this. Would you like to talk to a reporter?

Edited by Janice
  • Like 3

On 15/03/2018 at 12:43 PM, meercat said:

Our local cops were talking of tiles. Activated via bluetooth.    Initially i was skeptical until i forgot i had the tile in the car. I recieved an alert that the tile was 7hours away and parked in ... carpark.    you can label your tile  ...hives persite rego or whatever. Only catch battery does not last forever.   For the keen beek you could router out a section in a brood box to slip it in as to not be obvious.

They are handy for all sorts of things. The tech world has solved a lot of my inability to remember or be organised.

10 hours ago, Janice said:

@Old TimerI  can't pm you because I am a cheapskate but I work at the ODT and I think there could be a story in this. Would you like to talk to a reporter?

I'd be happy to talk with you. But I must be careful because I know about a woman who had a serious case against a couple of Dunedin detectives (where they would have seen prison time), she disappeared - no trace of her has ever been found. So you see I am a little hesitant about talking with reporters, I have a wife and children to think of. If you know the 'right people' an investigative reporter would have a field day with the Dunedin police. I happen to have contact with 'people' in this area.

I'm not going to publicise my contact details for my own safety. If you have some way of discovering who I am, then the police do to, in fact they probably have better methods at their disposal than you. But, if you can figure out who I am then I'd be happy to talk in private.

I don't expect you to put contact details on here but you could get hold of me at work.

I am usually there in the evening. But I am not a reporter, I'm a subeditor. 

I don't know how good I would be at figuring out who you are. I do know quite a few beekeepers around Dunedin but by no means all of them.

However, if you are reluctant to put your head above the parapet, that's your call.  

Thanks everyone for the responses, I will get that interview done and will post a note here when it's out for you.

Gary Fawcett

@Kiwimana - i know this is late in the piece, but could you ask what information collation would be useful to the police with respect to hive thefts? my guess is that they will simply ask people to report all hive thefts, but worth asking anyway perhaps

On 22/03/2018 at 6:52 PM, tommy dave said:

@Kiwimana - i know this is late in the piece, but could you ask what information collation would be useful to the police with respect to hive thefts? my guess is that they will simply ask people to report all hive thefts, but worth asking anyway perhaps

Public input is very important and helpful to the police.

They always follow up information on cannabis activity and arrests are made and prosecution and punishments happen.