Suniti

queen cells and uncapped pupa cells

I  am a beginner,been having bees for a year. I have two questions about my hive,

(A bit back groud--This hive is from a split from my original hive last year. The queen seems doing well and there are plenty bees fill up two brood boxes. However, i didn't harvest any homey from this hive, there wasn't any honey in the honey box.There were dead bees outside hive 3 times about a hundred each time with tongues out.My mentor thinks its due to poison plant around)

Question A:Since the queen is only a year old,why bees are keep making queen cells ? There are a few capped queen cells ,I should remove them?

Question B:

I put Bayvarol strips in for varoa treatment on 2cd Feb,about 4 weeks ago.

I saw the opened brood cells with pupa just before emerging. Between 12 -20 days which they should be capped.
But they were uncapped,took them out there were varoa attached..
Attached below two photos, the one with more pupa were took off from uncapped cells.
The one has only 4 pupa were taken from the sunken capped cells.as u can see they are not white at all.

Please help me to understand this situation. Thank you.
sorry i can't upload the photos ...says max photo size 2mb, i can't even upload one photo .

Question A, the Q  cells are there for a reason. Leave them alone.

Re the photo, I don't know what machine you use, but windows has a "resize" option, right click on the jpg, select small.

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Re the photo, I don't know what machine you use, but windows has a "resize" option, right click on the jpg, select small.

Thanks , learnt downsize photo today ;)

20180217_104013.jpg

• Like 1

You have quite a varroa problem .

Bayvarol kills the mites only once they are exposed to the chemical once the drones emerge , or are uncapped and removed , so it’s going to take time to get the numbers reduced. 

In that instance I’d deem the mite loading severe enough to warrant a treatment with MAQS as well as the bayvarol . MAQS kills mites in brood and the hive will recover faster than with bayvarol alone 

Edited by M4tt
  • Agree 1

Can't say for sure without seeing the whole hive, but kinda looks a bit like starvation to me. If there is no or almost no honey in any of the combs you should feed them some sugar syrup immediately.

If you don't have a feeder, and there is absolutely zero honey in the hive, I wouldn't wait, I'd tip a little sugar syrup over the top bars and the bees just to keep them alive another day, and meantime work on getting some kind of feeder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

Thanks for replying. Could you tell me more the reason for leave queen cells alone? If the one year old queen been laying  ok, when the new queen emerge, would there be swam?

The bees wish to replace their Q for some reason. They know something about her that you do not.  It's not swarming season. 

• Agree 2

Thanks for all your reply.

Just an update, I did a sugar shake test this morning, there were 15 mites off about 300 bess. I should go ahead with MAQS?

Also the MAQS has arrived, red the instruction that I should feed the bee well for good food storage before apply the treatment.So I have feed 5L syrup in a frame feeder,for two brood boxes of bees,is it enough and last  for 7 days of treatment ? Or can I feed them with top feeder while the treatment is in?

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Suniti said:

I should go ahead with MAQS?

Definitely ! 

I've never seen the bit about feeding. Put the Maqs in whatever else you do. 

• Agree 1