I got a call yesterday, (Friday pm). asking if I could help with a bee swarm.  They told me it was in their garden shed and had made a lot of comb.

So it must have been there for a fair while a fair while I thought.

As it was an hours drive away (each way). I asked if they could take a photo and Txt it too me so I could work out how to deal with it. Or maybe get someone closer.

This is the photo they sent.

Needless to say.  I did not go for a long drive.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just tried a new method of locating a wasp nest. Thermal imaging at night and confirming it in the morning. The hot spot on the screen showed up very bright. Marked the ground with dazzle and called t

I got a call yesterday, (Friday pm). asking if I could help with a bee swarm.  They told me it was in their garden shed and had made a lot of comb. So it must have been there for a fair while a f

Got a wasp call today slid my way through the manhole cover to see one the bigger than a basketball entrance was covering the whole vent could of nailled from the outside wish I took my phone. Ha

Posted Images

Got a wasp call today slid my way through the manhole cover to see one the bigger than a basketball entrance was covering the whole vent could of nailled from the outside wish I took my phone.

Hate wasps

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However, we all be tolerant.  How many of us could tell the difference before we started beekeeping.

Bet you could. I could. My 5 year old with +9 glasses could. 

Wonder what other things have been mistaken for bees?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, cBank said:

Bet you could. I could. My 5 year old with +9 glasses could. 

Wonder what other things have been mistaken for bees?

Yes.  I hear you.

That's why I now try and get the people to send me a photo.  It saves me a lot of wasted time.  I get about 40 calls per year at this time of the season.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However, we all be tolerant.  How many of us could tell the difference before we started beekeeping.

I dunno... They look so different, even before I started I knew what a wasp nest looked like... I didnt know how many sorts of bees there are though!

• Agree 1
Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  I hear you.

That's why I now try and get the people to send me a photo.  It saves me a lot of wasted time.  I get about 40 calls per year at this time of the season.

yeap a photo works well!

even if you know they are bees, a pic of a swarm will tell you if its worth pursuing... they do get into some interesting places

• Agree 1
18 hours ago, mischief said:

I thought I had a natural wild bee hive in the rock wall along my driveway..Ecstatic!

Sidled up to it only to discover its a German wasp nest! Gutted.

Now I have had to order a bait trap to get rid of it.

A cup of petrol works a treat. Don’t light it.

Suspect some might disapprove of this method but it’s served me well.

• Agree 1

I received a "there is a swarm of bees in my outdoor couch" call a month or so ago. I headed around and the Indian family had already tried to remove them. It was a wasp nest about the size of a dinner plate. I removed the rest of it and while doing so I found the queen and so killed her and thought I would bring her and a dead worker to show the people. I had the two in the palm of my hand and went to show them. Before I even opened my mouth, the lady said " ooo, you got the queen". Now she (the queen) was not a great deal bigger and neither different in colour.

I came away feeling a bit used........they made no offer of payment, of any sort and if she had the knowledge of what a queen looked like then she clearly knew that these were wasps, not bees.

I like helping people, but I'm getting sick of being expected to do this work for nothing, and then feeling like a meanie for expecting something for my time, running costs and expenses.

I think in future, I'll be asking of a photo like Trevor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

I like helping people, but I'm getting sick of being expected to do this work for nothing, and then feeling like a meanie for expecting something for my time, running costs and expenses.

Yes. I know how you feel.  I will not touch the wasps until I have told them how much it will cost.  Usually $50 to $80 depending on location and work involved and more if much travel involved.

Just about all reports at this time of year are wasps.

2 hours ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

I received a "there is a swarm of bees in my outdoor couch" call a month or so ago. I headed around and the Indian family had already tried to remove them. It was a wasp nest about the size of a dinner plate. I removed the rest of it and while doing so I found the queen and so killed her and thought I would bring her and a dead worker to show the people. I had the two in the palm of my hand and went to show them. Before I even opened my mouth, the lady said " ooo, you got the queen". Now she (the queen) was not a great deal bigger and neither different in colour.

I came away feeling a bit used........they made no offer of payment, of any sort and if she had the knowledge of what a queen looked like then she clearly knew that these were wasps, not bees.

you could always say no in the first place....... food for thought