Jump to content
Trevor Gillbanks

March 2018 Beekeeping Diary

Recommended Posts

On 3/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, Philbee said:

Dan natural sugar will give you a black IBC for free or about 50 bucks for a clear one

 

How do you do that?? We buy our sugar from them also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lindaloo26 said:

 

How do you do that?? We buy our sugar from them also.  

I asked, $150 each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dansardo you add anything to your sugar syrup?(like thymol crystals to prevent fermentation)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

@dansardo you add anything to your sugar syrup?(like thymol crystals to prevent fermentation)

Yes I have been using a Thymol solution 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pulled another few boxes off dunedin hives this weekend. Today i'll spin it through a two frame manual extractor, i've let people know that they can bring their own jars to fill as long as they're prepared to help for a bit ;) That brings it up to a decent harvest for the season for those two hives. Haven't taken the anticipated 100kg per hive, but decent. And they're both going into winter with a solid box+ of stores

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi@tommy dave yes, Clare and I are about half way through the harvest,  took 6 boxes off 4 hives yesterday, bees so docile, about 250 kg still to come.  Hives having AFB check and Bav strips, all well, most setting up well for winter hopefully no feeding needed this year.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still arguing with Post Haste who insist that our address never mind being 2.5 km from the CBD is outside their delivery range. I'm hoping my Oxalic gathers moisture and eats some part of one of their vital and expensive machines.  Ggggrrrrrrr

Edited by yesbut
  • Chill Out 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunately found two dead nucs today. One I suspect may have come into contact with vespex which I has dotted around the site, and the other looks like it was robbed out really bad. not a drop of stores left and thousands of dead bees outside and inside. Maybe wasps are to blame, but are they really capable of killing 6 or 7 frames of bees and robbing absolutely everything like that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JasonK said:

unfortunately found two dead nucs today. One I suspect may have come into contact with vespex which I has dotted around the site, and the other looks like it was robbed out really bad. not a drop of stores left and thousands of dead bees outside and inside. Maybe wasps are to blame, but are they really capable of killing 6 or 7 frames of bees and robbing absolutely everything like that? 

I have seen a hive robbed and killed by bees.

I have the impression from reading threads that wasps can do the same .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wasp activity has increased in the last few days, now there are 4-5 around and in front of the hive. they don't care about the juice trap.

and this morning, the Sun was barely up, the hive was so busy, I thought it's getting robbed but no dead bees, no fights just intensive commotion at the entrance. Wonder why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JasonK said:

unfortunately found two dead nucs today. One I suspect may have come into contact with vespex which I has dotted around the site, and the other looks like it was robbed out really bad. not a drop of stores left and thousands of dead bees outside and inside. Maybe wasps are to blame, but are they really capable of killing 6 or 7 frames of bees and robbing absolutely everything like that? 

yes wasps can take out whole hives and aparies if you got very bad wasp population, not sure they would have touched the vespex, if they had i can see a whole lot of problems up ahead as there is lots of it being used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was feeling grumpy about my hives being hassled by the migrant bees still  on my place.

Then I found out the beek had had a cyclone gita flood through his sheds and he had lost 60 hives.

His breeding hives.

Some of his boxes are being found on the nelson boulder bank and he is in motueka .

 

 

 

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week during the day I spilt about 50ml of syrup next to a hive I was feeding with a top feeder. I didn't this clean up, I was pushing my luck here.  

Later in the day the hive was getting robbed and defending bees were putting up a fight, so I reduced about 75mm entrance down to one beespace, but it was still getting robbed. 

The next morning I put one of my DIY robbing screens on and things were busy for a day, this is the pic below. There is alot less attempted robbery now.

WP_20180317_19_09_21_Pro.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hives inspected, acidified, and I've told them not to expect me again until August.

5ab1960f33495_IMG_20180321_111910(Medium).thumb.jpg.de7843f918fb599de31a614d1603ac4a.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you know what tree is this? bees love it at the moment, thousands of them are working on it

IMG_20180321_140712.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I took a break  today and left the Ladies doing what ladies do best in the Extracting room  and took Stella for a cruz down into South Canterbury  for another truck load of drums.  It was a nice respite from lifting honey boxes ,but like  Stoney commented awhile ago ...... we is hanging out for the bees to stop working so we can do something different ...... like filling the sheds with firewood.

Edited by jamesc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Hives inspected, acidified, and I've told them not to expect me again until August.

5ab1960f33495_IMG_20180321_111910(Medium).thumb.jpg.de7843f918fb599de31a614d1603ac4a.jpg

Nice! When and what was the last synthetic treatment your hives had?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dansar said:

Nice! When and what was the last synthetic treatment your hives had?

August 2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

August 2016

Sweet ..... as our final finale for the year, as we pull the Apivar strips  from the hives in mid May those shop towels will be going in on top of the brood, laced with O/A .....  one cup acid, one cup glycerine and one cup  liquid sea weed from Agrisea, gently heated and infused into the shop towels. I'm hoping it will be the elixir of life for next spring when we open them up again. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also shove a half towel in the front door, folded on itself and pushed in with hive tool.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sweet ..... as our final finale for the year, as we pull the Apivar strips  from the hives in mid May those shop towels will be going in on top of the brood, laced with O/A .....  one cup acid, one cup glycerine and one cup  liquid sea weed from Agrisea, gently heated and infused into the shop towels. I'm hoping it will be the elixir of life for next spring when we open them up again. 

 

We placed shop towels at this time last year.  Bees loved to propolis them up and not actively chewing them up.  Let us know how it goes over winter. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lindaloo26 said:

 

We placed shop towels at this time last year.  Bees loved to propolis them up and not actively chewing them up.  Let us know how it goes over winter. 

Aha, but did you add seaweed extract? The elixir of success?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, yesbut said:

August 2016

after paying the price for bayvarol to treat 4 double brood box hives i am going to pay serious attention to the DIY strips thread.

and my boxes are going to be single brood boxes.

and i am only going to have 3 hives.

my single brood box hive did very well and produced lots of honey.

  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just imagine the cost for a large operator.... 

Talking to a local operator.  They are placing 5 bayvarol in a double.  Maybe they are small hives... 

 I suggested they keep an eye on mite load.  They don't test ever.

When the seasons are poor then costs get trimmed?? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...