dansar

Trademe - selling honey bees, change of policy

I received this email from Trademe

DE1C9204-CB86-4DE2-BE45-421263266C85.thumb.png.530846b7df470b6f18ac2962748b3105.png

• Like 4

I got the email too, and am delighted. Hopefully the end of sales of poor quality nucs - some with clinical AFB. It will also dent the first year beeks selling very expensive virgin queens, as their rego number will indicate time registered/beekeeping.

• Agree 1

I agree it's a good step forward but who's going to stop someone putting a false or cancelled number on the ad. Crooks will always be crooks. 

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

as their rego number will indicate time registered/beekeeping.

No it doesn’t rego numbers don’t correspond to time in beekeeping 

• Agree 1

If you first registered up here over the last few months, your number is in the late 9000's. They are issued consecutively here.

5 hours ago, nikki watts said:

I agree it's a good step forward but who's going to stop someone putting a false or cancelled number on the ad. Crooks will always be crooks. 

One small thing I did was to do a search with my rego, and saved it to favourites. In the very very very unlikely event of a fraudulent listing with my number ... “bing”. Everyone can do at least that much. 

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

It's the old used frames etc  that gives me the jitters.. newbee decides to save a few bucks and buys it... and on and on it goes. 

When I ask questions like , what happened to the bees that lived in there? I get told "oh they left" or "varroa" 

I don't think this will stop that at all. 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

It's the old used frames etc  that gives me the jitters.. newbee decides to save a few bucks and buys it... and on and on it goes. 

When I ask questions like , what happened to the bees that lived in there? I get told "oh they left" or "varroa" 

I don't think this will stop that at all. 

But it will help that TradeMe has a policy that allows them to pull listings that are reported. See a listing you’re suspicious of, then report it. 

• Good Info 1

I wonder how someone as an equipment supplier, who didn't actually keep bees of their own, would get on? 

• Agree 1

Yip that's positive Josh 

Edited by Stoney

20 hours ago, Sailabee said:

If you first registered up here over the last few months, your number is in the late 9000's. They are issued consecutively here.

That might be the case up your way I wouldn’t know but down here they aren’t