frazzledfozzle

Beekeeper fatality

1 hour ago, Merk said:

@Padre They're outside a kiwifruit orchard in the BOP that I consult for. There's quite a few, all dead from what looks like varroa. Looks like they've been left behind accidentally at pollination. 

The design is distinctive, the owner (beekeeper is perhaps not the appropriate term here) would most likely recognise them. 

Ha ha I like the humour about the beekeeper thing.

Most likely starvation if left after pollination.

I'm surprised the owners or managers haven't contacted us ...thats odd not to get contacted about that...

Yes staff can be a bit more careless and not as thorough than the directors as you would know.

PM the location if you are being helpful or keep posting on the forum if you're trying to be cheeky

Edited by Padre
forgot to say something

18 minutes ago, Padre said:

PM the location if you are being helpful or keep posting on the forum if you're trying to be cheeky

@Merk cannot PM you as you have not made a donation to the forum to gain the extra benefits of forum membership.

You will need to contact Merk if you have his phone number.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

4 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@Merk cannot PM you as you have not made a donation to the forum to gain the extra benefits of forum membership.

You will need to contact Merk if you have his phone number.

Ok  thanks Trevor I didn't know that .

He knows how to contact me. He had my number in the past , I'm on Fb and one of his staff has my number currently ...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Padre said:

Ok  thanks Trevor I didn't know that .

He knows how to contact me. He had my number in the past , I'm on Fb and one of his staff has my number currently ...

OK.  All good.

Cheers.

Nice to see there's an owner for those abandoned hives, but there's a reason I posted the picture. 

A bee keeper's highest priority should be ensuring the welfare of their workers, both the insect kind and the humans as well. 

The beekeepers that have a casual attitude to bee welfare are inevitably the ones that also have near-misses with Tutin poisoning, exceed their driving hours, run up big debts, and also make bad assessments of track conditions etc. 

Currently the industry is full of this type of beekeeper. Its quite possible that this recent accident is nobody's fault, and I feel sorry for everyone involved. 

From what I see out there though, it definitely won't be the last beekeeper killed on the job. 

I think that this song says it best:

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DLlTLnP-ABZw&ved=0ahUKEwit89O5y_nZAhWMvrwKHSTCACQQtwIIcDAL&usg=AOvVaw1ke2iwPRPVQrWhB3ca1uoa

Edited by Merk

28 minutes ago, Merk said:

Nice to see there's an owner for those abandoned hives, but there's a reason I posted the picture. 

A bee keeper's highest priority should be ensuring the welfare of their workers, both the insect kind and the humans as well. 

The beekeepers that have a casual attitude to bee welfare are inevitably the ones that also have near-misses with Tutin poisoning, exceed their driving hours, run up big debts, and also make bad assessments of track conditions etc. 

Currently the industry is full of this type of beekeeper. Its quite possible that this recent accident is nobody's fault, and I feel sorry for everyone involved. 

From what I see out there though, it definitely won't be the last beekeeper killed on the job. 

I think that this song says it best:

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DLlTLnP-ABZw&ved=0ahUKEwit89O5y_nZAhWMvrwKHSTCACQQtwIIcDAL&usg=AOvVaw1ke2iwPRPVQrWhB3ca1uoa

Haha

Still can't confirm you haven't given me the location.

You're arrogant and opiniated .

Can't be bothered with your "smart" cyber bullying .

Not sure I can take you seriously since you've been giving me the finger every time we cross path on the road which is 0 to 4 times a week for the last year or so, highlighting your state of mind...

End of discussion for me this has disgressed way too much and obviously became a personal vendetta from @Merk

• Like 1

you two east coast monkeys need to sit down and share a banana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nab said:

you two east coast monkeys need to sit down and share a banana.

Only one of us is from the east coast.