frazzledfozzle

Beekeeper fatality

Work safe being work safe will investigate and see if there is a case to press charges.  On the same night I was moving bees into a site and following a mob of pigs up the track in the full beam of the headlight. The phone rings at the same time, just as we get to a narrow piece of the track with a bit of a drop off ..... so you got a narrow track, the missus on the phone seeing how you are doing, and a mob of nice looking baconers in front to you. The short answer is it's a recipe for disaster. Who you gonna blame for rolling your truck ? The landowner, the pigs , or the missus ?

Every day calls are made on us and depending on how we deal with those  we either get to pass go and collect $200 or end up in jail.

We also live now in a society that likes to play the 'Blame game'.  It's a game with no winners and a lot of anger and  heartache.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Bron said:

It is very sad for everyone involved.

Motu is a small tight community, we lived there for twenty years.

We reassured one of our farmers that we were all okay when he rang this morning concerned about us.

Stay safe folks.

Was he one his own .

The guys come to my place in a team 

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

If the farmer is punished that would be an outrage. We cannot have people to scared to let us on their land.

That is a very real possibility.
Its the small to medium sized  landowner who is the easiest bullied by worksafe IMO

25 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Was he one his own .

The guys come to my place in a team 

No he wasn’t on his own.

I really think that the responsibility should be on the person driving in this case, however wether it is or not is yet to be determined.

We all make decisions on where we site our hives and we all make calls on wether or not something is safe for us to do given the circumstances at the time.

I would be very sad if the blame is placed on the landowner for a choice that someone else made.

If I were a landowner I would certainly be being very careful with who I let on my land.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

If they had an accident am I liable , I am legally obliged to give them access.

I have $1000000 public liability insurance.

Can I recommend writing to them stating your concerns and acknowledging the requirement they have for access? It would seem a potentially handy document to refer to in the future, and a waste of 30 mins if not.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Dave Black said:

For my industry I see both sides, but I try to remember Worksafe was created to be protecting Workers, and now there is one not arriving home.

Were I one of the family I'd be very glad Worksafe are investigating.

If we wanted all workers to be safe at all times ( Which work safe would want ) then we would have a whole country of workers never going to work.

There is no allowance for "well s##t just went wrong" in todays world.

Things go wrong, and blaming a farmer in his bed for something that happens out in the dark doesn't sit right with me.

Do we want to end up like America where if you break into someones home and break your leg on a toy on the floor in their lounge, you can then sue them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

From worksafe perspective if someone dies at work in an accident then there's no question of whether the necessary duty of care was met. It obviously wasn't.

It's just a matter of who had the duty of care to the employee who died. In this case its his boss and the land owner. 

All that's left to establish is to what degree we're they negligent in their duty of care to the victim. The standard expected of employers and land owners is very very high. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Merk said:

The standard expected of employers and land owners is very very high. 

It's heading in the right direction then because, previously, the numbers suggest it was very very low.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:10 PM, kaihoka said:

I am legally obliged to give them access.

I would check that. We have poles on our place The power company has to get permission to enter our property. 

57 minutes ago, nab said:

I would check that. We have poles on our place The power company has to get permission to enter our property. 

We have poles too. But the power guys can go where they like if there's a fault, although they  usually  knock first.

In tonight's Gisborne Herald

“The 24-year-old man, who was driving, and a companion, were negotiating the farm track in their four by four Toyota Dyna light truck when it got too close to the edge of the track, and went over the edge,” said Matawai police officer Mutu Noanoa.

http://gisborneherald.co.nz/localnews/3250515-135/beekeeper-killed-in-motu-rollover

• Sad 2

On 25/02/2018 at 6:10 PM, kaihoka said:

So if the landowner has done all the paperwork and pointed out the hazards work safe will not pursue him .

I wonder how I should proceed.

I have five  11 kv  poles on my place and some hair raising access tracks that even network Tasman are loath to  go down .

The luge, they call one.

If they had an accident am I liable , I am legally obliged to give them access.

I have $1000000 public liability insurance.

Network are entitled to access at their pleasure by act of parliament. You cannot be held responsible if you have no control over them.

• Thanks 1

I am really happy to have the lines company on our place .

They maintain a network of roads on our 160 acres.

Not many remote rural places have this access on  their land .

They also mow all my other roads and drive ways .

If they bring machinery out they do jobs for us.

The migrant beeks out our way have the majority of their sites on or beside these access tracks .

Are there similar situations in the rest of the country ?

33 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I am really happy to have the lines company on our place .

They maintain a network of roads on our 160 acres.

Not many remote rural places have this access on  their land .

They also mow all my other roads and drive ways .

If they bring machinery out they do jobs for us.

The migrant beeks out our way have the majority of their sites on or beside these access tracks .

Are there similar situations in the rest of the country ?

Do they put their hives under the lines? 

Always hated the idea of the electricity messing with the bees..

unfortunately this was a young guy in his first year out on his own, has been working for a very good local beekeeper for 5-6+ years before that

a tragedy for sure. Slid of a farm track after being pulled out by farmer, thought they were safe or ok from here.

be careful out there.

• Sad 6

59 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

unfortunately this was a young guy in his first year out on his own, has been working for a very good local beekeeper for 5-6+ years before that

a tragedy for sure. Slid of a farm track after being pulled out by farmer, thought they were safe or ok from here.

be careful out there.

Thanks for that info Dennis , you have just described a situation that many of us up and down the country have been in.

A reminder that we all get complacent and all make not such good decisions at some time.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Do they put their hives under the lines? 

Always hated the idea of the electricity messing with the 

The beek on my place has his hives in the clearing next to a pole.

But in a lot of cases  they are not near or under lines.

These roads can be a kilometer plus long as the poles go ridge to ridge.

It's crazy they are even here.

It is a legacy line running down the coast past the end of the  road .

Dates to when there was a native forest mill and gold diggings. With a school, pubs shops etc.

It is completely uneconomic now , just some farms and tourist places.

Where it runs along near the sea it is constantly corroding and high maintenance.

People say the lines affect bees , it does not bother the beek on my place .

42 minutes ago, nab said:

no they not.  maybe for major transmission lines. we been through this big time with our local lines company when they charged us $1000 dollars to find a cable in the ground. That only took five minutes work.  we were happy to pay for the job just not being ripped off that's all.  as soon as we told them there trucks would be stopped at the gate from now on the boss was on the phone within 5 mins apologizing for the overpriced bill and that it was taken care of. 

Love it.  They are bullies.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

be careful out there.

The reality is that life is tough.. sometimes tougher than others

I arrived at work yesterday to hear the news of the sudden death of a 32 year old work colleague at 2am that morning. 

It was a medical emergency and no suspicious circumstances 

It is a tragedy, as is the loss of this young man. 

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

Interesting ..... I went back to a site today  I had dropped bees off at the w/e in the dark. Part of the track had collapsed, which I saw in the dark , but  1m in was a large crack in the ground where more of the track was getting ready of slide off down into the gully. Every operation almost needs a full time H&S person to be checking out hazards. 

I guess this is where scale comes into play ..... being able to afford to pay for the extra manpower to do all the little jobs that seem insignificant but are actually quite important. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Interesting ..... I went back to a site today  I had dropped bees off at the w/e in the dark. Part of the track had collapsed, which I saw in the dark , but  1m in was a large crack in the ground where more of the track was getting ready of slide off down into the gully. Every operation almost needs a full time H&S person to be checking out hazards. 

I guess this is where scale comes into play ..... being able to afford to pay for the extra manpower to do all the little jobs that seem insignificant but are actually quite important. 

I think that could have happened anywhere to anyone and a legion of sandal and cardigan wearers would not have prevented it.   May have been sensible to not go past the slip or have a better look but that is hindsight, I'd have probably gone through, and probably gone down into the gully.   Sit back and enjoy your luck :-)

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Are their private weather stations in the area uploading to the net that would have current conditions and rain fall.

We have one and a  live web cam .

I gave the link to the migrant beeks and they use it to check weather.

This sort of thing with poor /slippery tracks really is common, I think being more vocal to farmers or employers  in regards to "I ain't going in to such and such until the tracks fixed" actually goes a long way. 

We had a meeting once and voiced concerns about the sites that scared us... and were  surprised by how many there actually were. 

I had a load of 48 honey supered hives on the truck on Monday and came to a stop at a concrete farm bridge, the cyclone rains had scoured out the bottom of the support on one side.

Had it been dark at the time I would have been in the drink. 

I only saw the damage because I had to clear flood debri off the bridge. 

Its so very easy to have an oopsie. 

• Agree 2

prior,proper prevention prevents p poor prformance:3_grin:

• Like 1