frazzledfozzle

Beekeeper fatality

Just read this too. Very sad to hear when we lose one of the family. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Accidents happen and I would rather see positive support go to the Beekeepers family 

Absolutely agree 100%

11 minutes ago, M4tt said:

That is very very sad and not good .

Worksafe are involved which is could create an anormous amount of trouble for the farmer if he didn’t  point out all the hazards on his farm and have the paperwork to back it up .

The Berrymans situation Instantly springs to mind . 

Even in the event of operator error by the driver of the vehicle , the responsibility still lies with the land owner to ensure the safety of anyone on their property , and when accidents happen , Worksafe will throw their full force at the landowner . 

This will probably lead lead to some guys closing access to their farms . 

Accidents happen and I would rather see positive support go to the Beekeepers family 

What sort of paper work would that be.

The beek on our place uses the power lines company access rd and has their 16 hives in a clearing near one of the poles .

Quite surprising over the course of my life, how many beekeepers have gone out while on the job.

12 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

And to the farmer for that matter . 

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What sort of paper work would that be.

The beek on our place uses the power lines company access rd and has their 16 hives in a clearing near one of the poles .

Health and Safety.

A full induction of anyone coming into your place pointing out hazards , verbally and recording red zones on maps . Etc etc 

So if an accident happens on your place serious enough to report to authorities , then you are going to want to have all the paper work in order and hope that’s enough to avoid prosecution . 

Unfortunately , with all the paper work done etc, human error and unforeseen circumstances still occur and all the rules and regulations don’t prevent much .

As a farmer I maintain a reasonable fear of accidents to other people on farm and although I try to minimise issues , the best way to avoid problems is actually don’t have anyone on the place unless absolutely necessary 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On the grapevine this morning, a commercial beekeeper died at motu inland from gisborne last night. 

I heard that a truck rolled, that's all I know. 

There is no grapevine. Its national news. 

14 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Which is BS and we as a country should never have allowed beuracracy and government to take us to this point.

I agree with you completely . Worksafe are negatively affecting both people’s own business and the economy 

I’ve been quietly optimistic that the new government would clean up the bull crap of Worksafe that the previous government left behind , since they are on a mission to improve everything else , but so far I’ve been disappointed 

Presumably the police were called after the crash, but that’s a pretty late call out. From reading here it seems night work is common and required. Driving over rough ground in a heavy vehicle in what would often be unfamiliar territory has to be hard. You would hope WorkSafe used the situation to help farmers and beekeepers rather than punish a farmer letting their land be used or a beekeeping operation that were clearly working hard.

Edited by cBank

11 minutes ago, Alastair said:

If the farmer is punished that would be an outrage. We cannot have people to scared to let us on their land.

Not only beekeepers, animal pest controllers, weed sprayers etc etc. I trained the department of labour staff in Auckland a few years back in safety audits for the industry I was in and some of the staff had no idea. Would not trust them with knife in the sheath.

so sad to see another hard working kiwi pay the ultimate price. RIP.

Edited by Matthew Brajkovich
  • Like 1

Worksafe will investigate and they have 12 months to press charges if negligence is found. 

They almost always find something because nobody is perfect with H&S. 

You can only imagine what that 12 months is going to be like for the parties involved. 

The penalties under the new H&S rules are mega scary. I should stress that I have no knowledge of the specifics of this case, only some familiarity with the legislation and it's my personal opinion that those involved with this particular incident will potentially be looking at jail/huge fines given that a fatality occurred. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cBank said:

Presumably the police were called after the crash, but that’s a pretty late call out. From reading here it seems night work is common and required. Driving over rough ground in a heavy vehicle in what would often be unfamiliar territory has to be hard. You would hope WorkSafe used the situation to help farmers and beekeepers rather than punish a farmer letting their land be used or a beekeeping operation that were clearly working hard.

Yes, bad news.  Does anyone know the rate of beekeeper fatalities a year?? 

I agree with cBank - it is dangerous work at night in all weather.  Throw in  possible inexperience and poor knowledge of area/terrain.  A vehicle that  might be pushing it's safe capability. Steep/difficult access to chase that Manuka. Long hours.  Physical exhaustion. Pollination work. Working by yourself.  Long driving periods. Time demands. Poor communication .... In no way do I suggest this person died from the above.  Just suggesting we are a high risk occupation. 

When you think about it, it's amazing not more of us seriously injury ourselves. 

• Thanks 1

Not a manuka farm where the accident happened, just clover and tawari, although I understand that the beekeeper paid for access. 

The beekeeper is not a local, they are from the BOP I believe. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grant said:

There is no grapevine. Its national news. 

There is always a grapevine.

This incident happened in a small place where everyone knows everyone, I would expect the grapevine to be more accurate then the national news.

I’m sure there will be more public information by this evening.

The access rd up to the hive site has a really steep section just before the hives .

I have mentioned that I would not want to come  up or down that with a full truck of honey or hives when it is wet .

I do tell them to ring me about the road before they came but they come anyway.

I only see them when the new crew come to the house cause they are lost .

Never been any paper work 

For my industry I see both sides, but I try to remember Worksafe was created to be protecting Workers, and now there is one not arriving home.

Were I one of the family I'd be very glad Worksafe are investigating.

Edited by Dave Black
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Black said:

For my industry I see both sides, but I try to remember Worksafe was created to be protecting Workers, and now there is one not arriving home.

Were I one of the family I'd be very glad Worksafe are investigating.

So if the landowner has done all the paperwork and pointed out the hazards work safe will not pursue him .

I wonder how I should proceed.

I have five  11 kv  poles on my place and some hair raising access tracks that even network Tasman are loath to  go down .

The luge, they call one.

If they had an accident am I liable , I am legally obliged to give them access.

I have $1000000 public liability insurance.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

So if the landowner has done all the paperwork and pointed out the hazards work safe will not pursue him .

No not at all, but it’s a start . 

It entirely will depend on what they end up reporting the cause of the accident to be 

It is very sad for everyone involved.

Motu is a small tight community, we lived there for twenty years.

We reassured one of our farmers that we were all okay when he rang this morning concerned about us.

Stay safe folks.

• Like 2