Marty Pine

Looking for a friendly beekeeper...

Hi all - first time posting (I joined today).

I am super keen to learn about bees and bee-keeping, and was wondering if any keepers were looking for a spare place to put a hive of bees. I'd love to get some on my property so that I can observe and learn about them as we go. Happy to pay for hives, fees, maintenance etc (I have a Flow Hive in a box, but as I understand it they aren't too popular?) More than happy to go with whatever is advised regarding hives etc. I looked at a couple beehive-as-a-service type outfits in NZ, but they don't have keepers in Hamilton/Cambridge at the moment. If anyone is interested, please feel free to reach out to me - I'd love to see if we can get something going.

Have a great day,

Marty

25 minutes ago, Marty Pine said:

I am super keen to learn about bees and bee-keeping, and was wondering if any keepers were looking for a spare place to put a hive of bees. I'd love to get some on my property so that I can observe and learn about them as we go. Happy to pay for hives, fees, maintenance etc (I have a Flow Hive in a box, but as I understand it they aren't too popular?) More than happy to go with whatever is advised regarding hives etc. I looked at a couple beehive-as-a-service type outfits in NZ, but they don't have keepers in Hamilton/Cambridge at the moment. If anyone is interested, please feel free to reach out to me - I'd love to see if we can get something going.

Have a great day,

Marty

Hi what is your address?

Is there a beekeeping club in your area that you can get in touch with?

@BeeGirl - I've reached out to them, but haven't had a response. Next on my list is rocking up to one of their meetings and trying my luck...

Didn't think it would be this hard to find a home for a hive! :D

Edited by Marty Pine
including my reply-to for clarity

17 minutes ago, Marty Pine said:

Next on my list is rocking up to one of their meetings and trying my luck...

Go for it!!! Maybe you could also try getting in touch with a local commercial beekeeper, they may be able to point you in the right direction of someone who can put a couple of hives on your prooperty.

1 hour ago, Marty Pine said:

@Parminder - I am on Glen Ida Way, out near Tauwhare.

There is a beekeeper a few houses down the road from the home kill place on the main drag , fairly sure it is Mr Stone.

@Rob Atkinson That would be amazing! Will go for a wander and see if I can find him for a chat... Thank you!

7 hours ago, Marty Pine said:

Didn't think it would be this hard to find a home for a hive!

Hive for a home you mean:D

• Like 2

It helps to understand that most beekeepers don't want anything to do with people having hives without knowledge of beekeeping.  We all worry about disease transfer.  If you have a hive without having a solid know how you are probably harboring varoa mite and possibly even AFB.  So if you don't get a friendly welcome this is most likely the reason.  There are a lot of good classes around that will over come this problem. 

On 2/21/2018 at 10:41 AM, Marty Pine said:

Have a great day,

Marty

The Frazer High Beekeeper night class is a good place to start in the Waikato

There is a big time commitment to Beeking

Transporting gear and travel adds to that.

We started by attending the Waikato Beekeepers Club... 

Then did the course....

It was a process over approx 2 years before we bought a Nuc

A good mentor is gold