Tomm

NZBF Harvest once.. Or many times?

In the past I have harvested my honey quite a few times over the season.... Any reason why I can't do a single harvest in say... Early March? Of course I realise I will need to put on quite a few supers.. Another advantage would be I could get by with less Tutin testing too. I suppose this is what most bee keepers do? 

• Like 1

no reason not to. Many commercial beekeepers run as few as one or two extraction rounds from sites per annum

I’ve found an advantage in the small/many times harvest approach - refucednrobbing. Taking lots and having lots of wets gets them all riled up.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 2

You may even get a bigger crop I know on guy that did that and only had two honey super but exacted ever time the frames were capped and he got 150 kg off one and 100 kg off another he was i town and he couldn’t lift fill boxes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Valentine said:

You may even get a bigger crop I know on guy that did that and only had two honey super but exacted ever time the frames were capped and he got 150 kg off one and 100 kg off another he was i town and he couldn’t lift fill boxes 

I extract a few capped frames at a time.

That's because I have lots of different flows and I am curious about the taste of different honeys .

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.. Yes I know what you mean about the different colors /flavors when u take the honey at different times. I guess I'm looking for the easiest way to manage them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomm said:

Thanks everyone.. Yes I know what you mean about the different colors /flavors when u take the honey at different times. I guess I'm looking for the easiest way to manage them. 

One at a time  :IMG_0386:

we harvest 3/4 times in a good year, this keeps the bees working as all frames taken out are replaced with wets, this really gets them motivated.

• Like 1